Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 0.8.3 doesn't exit (Read 5782 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 0.8.3 doesn't exit

I have this odd problem, where when I close foobar, through both the tray, and the file menu, the process does not close, and when I try to launch the process again, without rebooting, it does not load up at all... I take a look in the task manager, and sure enough, foobar2000.exe is still running, with 0% cpu, and 3MB of memory... 

This is a bug that has been bugging me for weeks now... I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, is there any workaround?

Reply #1
remove foo_tunes

Reply #2
I have WinXP OSR2 (means SP2 integrated in installation)
Exits instantly.

Config: foob0.8.3special; looks2.1+foopilotOne; foo_ui_columns alpha 4

Reply #3
foo_tunes is indeed the lilely cause, which is why i don't use it.  I tried it and the foobar process wasn't ending so it got removed and now it's fine.

Reply #4
that didn't help ;(

Now it's running with 5,356K of memory... I don't have any other plugins/components other than the ones that 'shipped' with 0.8.3 special. I DO have the updated foo_flac.dll, as well as the latest version of flac installed. (v1.1)...

I'm puzzled as to why this app is hanging...

I have WinXP OSR2 (means SP2 integrated in installation)

Operating Service Release 2... Who can't remember Windows 95's OSR1, OSR2, and OSR3, with a, b, and c versions?

I just want to say on a sidenote, that I'm no n00b, and I've been using foobar since the 0.5x days. I stopped using winamp, and made the permanent switch to foobar... I don't even use some of the great alternative UI plugins... I use the standard interface, and I'm happy... now if only the process exited when it should!

Reply #5
Another reason for NOT to install SP2.
Good that it is not even released in finnish.
There is already a "Why to upgrade to SP2"-link in Microsoft's site, but there should be "Why not to upgrade to SP2"-link too, where users can post comments

Reply #6
Another reason for NOT to install SP2.

...except that I haven't noticed this recently and I've had Service Pack 2 installed for a little while now.  Dropping everything and blaming the operating system isn't always the best way to solve a problem.

jimmsta:
Does foobar2000.exe stay open even if you just start it up and then shut the window or do you have to do something else to get it to hang on exit?  That might help in narrowing down the cause.

Reply #7
I have exactly the same problem. The process does not get killed when I close foobar2k and the problems started with the installation of SP2 for Windows XP.

//edit:

I just tried the Foobar 2000 - Lite installer, and did not experience the problem there. I figured it must be one of my plugins and tried to delete those that I suspected the most (foo_audioscrobbler, foo_winamppam ...) but I didn't have any luck so far. My time is a bit limited at the moment so that i can't try all my plugins, maybe I can do some more testing tomorrow.

//edit 2:

jimmsta:
Does foobar2000.exe stay open even if you just start it up and then shut the window or do you have to do something else to get it to hang on exit? That might help in narrowing down the cause.

At least in my case, opening up and closing it suffices to cause the hang (it doesn't matter if foobar is playing a song or not either)

Reply #8
Interesting.  I wonder what the difference between our setups is, then. :|

Reply #9
This happens to me before and after I installed SP2.

Reply #10
The thing is probably something to do with a plugin that comes with the special edition, then... I'll have to look into it...

Reply #11
I use the special installer + some other plugins and it's running really smooth on SP2.

Reply #12
I've got the same problem as mentioned above.
Special installer and won't exit out of memory.
The symbol in the taskbar is gone but...
Problems arose after installing sp2
I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here.

Reply #13
Does anybody feel like playing a short but tedious game of Remove Components One By One Until The Problem Goes Away? (To clarify, in case anyone needs to know, this means either deleting, or dragging to a temporary folder outside of the main Foobar2000 folder.)

Reply #14
Does anybody feel like playing a short but tedious game of Remove Components One By One Until The Problem Goes Away? (To clarify, in case anyone needs to know, this means either deleting, or dragging to a temporary folder outside of the main Foobar2000 folder.)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248176"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or you could play the version I personally prefer to play and change the .dll extension to .dll.noload.

Reply #15
I have this odd problem, where when I close foobar, through both the tray, and the file menu, the process does not close, and when I try to launch the process again, without rebooting, it does not load up at all... I take a look in the task manager, and sure enough, foobar2000.exe is still running, with 0% cpu, and 3MB of memory... 

This is a bug that has been bugging me for weeks now... I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, is there any workaround?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245713"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have experienced this to. With standard Win XP (no service pack) and Foobar2000 normal installer. I tried to uninstall and then reinstall, and the problem was gone.

Reply #16
OK, I'll play...

I use the "special" installer, and I am running XP with SP2. No problems here at all.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #17
I experienced the same problem and im my case the answer was the directsound v2.0 output plugin (more exactly full fadeout when shuting down function) when I switch that off the problem disappeared. I hope that helps someone

Reply #18
I have almost the entire special install and SP2 without seeing that problem.  I'd check any additional plugins you've added recently first (sort plugins folder by date modified).

Reply #19
Removed foo_tunes and /tunes
Problem fixed. Switch to much better columns_ui!