Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Find Function (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

Find Function

Is there any way I can stop the search function freezing if I type a word like "music" which appears in a whole bunch of tunes in my playlist (other than removing most of my playlist, obviously)? I'm not sure what other details I can give, but if you want to know something ask and I'll try and answer

Find Function

Reply #1
By freezing you mean what? Foobar freezing?
And maybe you should try more specific search keywords.

Find Function

Reply #2
Do you have "find-as-you-type" activated?  Try turning that off.  You can also limit your search to specific tag fields if you want.  With the cursor in the search box, press Alt+Down to get to the menu and choose the field you're searching.

Find Function

Reply #3
It would also be very useful to know which search function you are using: the built-in playlist search or one provided by a third-party component?

Find Function

Reply #4
Are we talking about the built-in playlist search (Ctrl+F) or some 3rd party component?

Find Function

Reply #5
ctrl+f, so the built in one

And I have search as you type turned on, is there any way to define the time period it waits before searching? I think it waits a second or so between keystrokes or something to search, as teh freeze problem only happens if I get a mental block while searching and forget what I was looking for, so end up with a keyword that brings up hundreds of results. I'm just confused as to why it makes foobar freeze, as winamp (despite all its other issues) handles the jumpto function, which appears to be the same as the ctrl+f in foobar fine, regardless of the number of results for the search terms.

Find Function

Reply #6
as winamp (despite all its other issues) handles the jumpto function, which appears to be the same as the ctrl+f in foobar fine, regardless of the number of results for the search terms
You are not the only one amazed by that...

As for the solution to your problem: make a good plan before a search (visualize the songs..., take a good look at the keyboard...)

Find Function

Reply #7
As for the solution to your problem: make a good plan before a search (visualize the songs..., take a good look at the keyboard...)
Or simply use a third-party component for searching. There are various solutions available, some integrate into the user interface as a toolbar (only for Columns UI), some are a popup similar to the built-in search function. My database search component belongs to the latter group. Despite its (somewhat outdated) name, it can also search the active playlist and has been designed with responsiveness in mind. I'm do not know how well all the other solutions handle that; you should experiment with a few and see what you like best.

Find Function

Reply #8
ok, thanks for all the help