Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Won't Compress .wav -> .flac (Read 5977 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Won't Compress .wav -> .flac

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to configure EAC to use FLAC as an external compressor, but I'm having troubles.  Everytime I do "Copy Selected Tracks, Compressed" I only end up with a .wav, and no flac.  After "Compress Track By External Program" displays, there's a DOS box that pops up for a split second, which I'm guessing has my error message, but I can't read it.

---
My config under "Compression options > External compression"

Use external program for compression

Parameter passing scheme: User Defined Encoder
Use File Extension: .flac

Program, including path, used for compression: C:\WINNT\flac\flac.exe
Additional command line options: -6 -P 4096 --verify
---

What else am I missing? 

Reply #1
You need to add %s and %d to the end to let it work out where the input and output files are. So your command should be this:

-6 -P 4096 --verify %s %d

Reply #2
This should probably go in the Hardware/Software forum, along with other EAC questions.

Sorry.

Reply #3

Ah.  I figured it was something like that, but I didn't know how to do it (first time integrating compression with EAC).

Much thanks, karmakiller.

Reply #4
No problem.

Reply #5

Ah.  I figured it was something like that, but I didn't know how to do it (first time integrating compression with EAC).

Much thanks, karmakiller.

You mean, that actually worked?

Because for FLAC (and oggenc, for that matter), you normally have to use %s -o %d.

Here's a command line that will add tags to the FLAC files on encoding: -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "DATE=%y" -T "GENRE=%m" %s -o %d

Reply #6
Volcano, yup.  I just checked the FLAC documentation, and -o is used to force the output file name (otherwise it just changes the extension).

Thanks for the tagging options, but I decided not to use 'em since they wouldn't pad the single digits (e.g. 1 -> 01). 

Reply #7
Which means -o %d isn't really necessary.

I'm pretty sure it does pad the 0 onto the tracknumber, certainly it shows up in the filename.  Whether it's in the tags I haven't checked lately.

The bottom line is, it works just fine to use EAC to compress and pass the tags to flac, so maybe you could edit the subject line of your original post.

There are a couple other threads about flac tagging here.  To summarize, you can use something like this:
-V -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T "comment=whatever rip and source info you want to include" %s

You can see what these flac switches do at the  flac documentation page.
Q:  Which flags can I use in the external compression scheme "User Defined Encoder"?

A:  In the field "Additional command line options" you could use replacements for the selectable options :

%s  Source filename
%d  Destination filename
%a  CD artist
%g  CD title
%t  Track title
%y  Year
%n  Track number
%m  Music genre

- EAC FAQ link