Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggestion: removing version from the window title (Read 3614 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggestion: removing version from the window title

Currently, the version is displayed in the window title and the taskbar.
i.e. "foobar2000 v1.3.17", and when a track is playing, "<track info> [foobar2000 v1.3.17]".

Such version displaying is not standard, I don't recall seeing this anywhere else, and it adds clutter.
Thus, I am proposing the remove this and just display "foobar2000" / "<track info> [foobar2000]".

Re: Suggestion: removing version from the window title

Reply #1
You can modify the window title during On/Off play.

1. Off : Preference - Advanced - Display - Default User Interface - Main Window Branding - Enable - Caption : "what you want"
2. On : Preference - Display - Default User Interface - Playback state Display formatting - Window Title

Reply #2
These preferences don't control the "foobar2000 v1.3.17" part, which is hardcoded.

Reply #3
widerock: How do you get number 1? I don't have that "Main Window Branding".

BigBertrand: For while playing, try to fill the format up with whitespaces. Try e.g.
Code: [Select]
[%album artist% - ]['['%album%[ CD%discnumber%][ #%tracknumber%]']' ]%title%[ '//' %track artist%]                                                                                                                                                                          INSTALLED VERSION:

Reply #5
Code: [Select]
[%album artist% - ]['['%album%[ CD%discnumber%][ #%tracknumber%]']' ]%title%[ '//' %track artist%]                                                                                                                                                                          INSTALLED VERSION:
That was my old method.
Here are my setting 1 & 2. You don't need any white spaces for playing title.

Reply #7
I don't have the "Main Window Branding" option in 1.3.17 Win 10 64 Home.
I thought that it was a foobar2000 default option. But, I found that it came from the componet 'foo_ui_hacks'.
Sorry for the confusion

Reply #9
But it doesn't use fb2k SDK, it just can't violate it. This extension had been written using Delphi. There is no public fb2k SDK for Delphi. Author of the extension created own SDK.

Reply #10
Another funny thing, there is actually no longer any banned component list ( https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,44213.0.html ).
So, you can't actually tell if some component is banned or not without checking it with the tool from the site -_-
And you can't even make use of the tool if you don't have that component installed :D

Reply #11
Regardless of whether it violates the SDK license or not, the foo_ui_hacks component is an example of a certain trend in software development, to provide functionality that some people demand regardless of how ugly it is and how many potential bugs it introduces along the way. I've always aimed to have less functionality in foobar2000, but things 100% right from start.

If the author ported the foobar2000 SDK to Delphi, that's impressive... I wish I had that amount of free time - I'd do something more useful with it, rather than create hacks altering behaviors of someone else's software.

PS.
There used to be dozens of crash reports related to foo_ui_hacks on the crash report tracker, before I made the system reject reports from foobar2000 installs infected with such components. I wonder what the author of this component would have to say to all the people who got those crashes and lost their work/playlists/etc, "wontfix" or "feature not a bug"?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #12
Oh and one more thing
It seems foo_ui_hacks embeds its own settings in advanced preferences branches belonging to other components.
Let's not go into the discussion of whether it's a sensible thing to do from the programming point of view (short: it's not).
It surely looks like an attempt to deceive the user, regarding who owns a specific setting.

Reply #13
@Peter : is it possible to have clearly stated list of such plugins (that cause rejection of crash report) in invoked thread ( https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,44213.0.html )? I know that I use one plugin (allows track to be played in reverse) from developer that was banned from HA forum in the past, but I am simply not sure if "banned developer" is the same with "all his plugins are banned, no matter if they violate SDK license or not". As and end user I can't even check if code of certain plugin violates SDK license or not...

Reply #14
Developer banned (from the forum) doesn't imply ban of all their components.

It's hard to know for sure which components violate the license and which don't. I flag only confirmed cases. Though if some components from a specific developer are known to be bad, you should be vary of their other components as well, as foobar2000 stability isn't their top priority.

We don't specifically list the bad components anywhere as it would unnecessarily advertize them.

Reply #15
Thank you all for your replies, though, it got a bit off-topic ;)

Can we go back to my initial suggestion, please? All I'm saying is that adding the program version in the window title and the taskbar is not standard and adds visual clutter.

Case in point, the window title is used to display very useful information about the track playing. So this place is often looked at, and already quite filled, thus is shouldn't be cluttered with additional, secondary information.
The proper places to look for the installed version of a software are "Help > About" and Windows control panel "Programs and Features".

Reply #16
OK, I'll drop the version number from the window title, or possibly only show it immediately after startup before a track is played.

Reply #17
or possibly only show it immediately after startup before a track is played.
And throw in the %_foobar2000_version% string by default, so those who do not bother can keep it and others can remove it?

Reply #18
The problem is that this part is not user configurable, and I guess it cannot be made so. It is hardcoded into the executable's resources.

Reply #19
@Peter: Thanks in advance!

Reply #20
I was thinking about it earlier but I stopped myslef, but for me it gone to far... Please NO!. I WANT to have that version number printed ALWAYS when nothing is played. I just want to see it in the Window title and on the task bar. I like it.

Reply #21
Agreed - I'd hate to lose the ability to display the version number...

Reply #23
Well, if we're having a vote about it, I too would like to not have it completely removed. Option is preferred.

Reply #24
Read the post from Porcus just up the page. It's always been supported as title formatting so you can put it anywhere - including in the title area if it's removed by default.