Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RG/EBUR128, but just for the bass? (LF/Bass Normalization) (Read 889 times) previous topic - next topic

RG/EBUR128, but just for the bass? (LF/Bass Normalization)

Hello community,
Cross-genre/cross-era playlists are very likely to suffer a huge problem: huge jumps in low-frequency energy.

Take the following examples:
  • Classic/Soundtrack: Karajan, Horner, Goldsmith: soft subwoofer output
  • Electronic/Black/Rap: Daft Punk, Warren G, T.I., Eminem: high subwoofer ouput
  • Rock: Animals, Beetles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica (Ride the Lightning..Hardwired): low..med..high
  • Pop: Duran Duran, a-ha, Abba, Eurythmics, Madonna, Michael Jackson: med-high subwoofer output
While listening to such tracks across the playlist, especially the electro/pop content comes with very strong bass, and it's very hard to find a one-size-fits-all sweet spot that will equally honor the bass spectrum of classic/older pop/rock recordings *and* not over-exaggerate the bass of 90s/00s/10s electronic music.

The following methods won't work as intended (d'uh  ;)):
  • Any generic "Bass Boost" DSP: Always raises the bass, even on bass-heavy recordings
  • Equalizer: Always raises/lowers a frequency band, regardless of its recorded power
  • Exciter: same perceived result as with an equalizer

I tried to play with the Multiband Dynamics section of VST plugin iZotope Ozone 4 (most recent version is 8.x), but it still doesn't work as expected (see screenshot). Trying the same with Automatic Gain Control enabled for the lowest band yielded the contrary effect: overly present bass just got a boost, while the soft bass on non-electronic stuff remained soft.

Is it possible to have some kind of awesome-sounding, automatic "bass normalization"/"multiband normalization"? How would it be done?

Re: RG/EBUR128, but just for the bass? (LF/Bass Normalization)

Reply #2
Not quite. Replaygain does an excellent job in leveling out track playback volume across the playlist.

I'm looking for something that takes Replaygain to the next level, from the current "track gain" it implements (that is full-spectrum gain) to bass/LF gain. Something like a Multi-Band Replaygain that adjusts the attenuation of, say, 0..180 Hz, based on the average energy in that band for a given track.

If it was possible to achieve a result in that direction by means of Multi-Band Dynamics (Limiter/Expander), it would be great to know.

Reply #3
These band dynamics settings in Ozone (screenshot):
- Band 1: 20..144 Hz
- Thresh.: Lim. (dB) = -12
- Ratio: Lim. [x:1] = 10
- Thresh.: Comp. [dB] = -24
- Ratio: Comp. [x:1] = 1.33
- Thresh. Exp. [dB] = -48
- Ratio: Exp. [x:1] = -1.1

...work for me, for now:
  • Leave just the right amount of bass thru on older recordings
  • While limiting too heavy bass of more recent recordings

Certainly this could be further tweaked/optimized. Frankly speaking, I actually have no idea of the math that's going on here and would be happy if someone could explain. I am wondering if there is any free foo_DSP plugin available that does just that?

I just don't want to miss out on the soft bass punch of 80s Pop/Rock, but also I don't want to shake down the whole house when Cypress Hill's Dr. Greenthumb happens to play, while not always needing to fiddle with the knobs. 1st world problems? Likely. But hey, that's why I'm using a software player in the first place.

Reply #4
What you're asking for is a multi-band compressor.  Have you tried something like Stereo Tool?

Reply #5
What you're asking for is a multi-band compressor.  Have you tried something like Stereo Tool?

Thanks for seconding the multi-band compressor approach and suggesting Stereo Tool. I've been using an ancient version of iZotope Ozone (4) that I've had around for a long time. After finding the "right" settings, it does the job quite well and uses virtually no CPU on a modern Intel. Stereo Tool could be overkill, aimed at broadcasters.

Maybe I was overly specific/misleading/wrong in the subject line. I don't need AES/EBU level compliance (I'm not a broadcaster and many seem not to know or even care about the guidelines anyways) and excessive track leveling/compression here. Audiophiles may argue now that I'm doing just that, by using (a) ReplayGain and (b) light multi-band compression on the low end. Hmm...