Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A day of vinyl -- a reminder of inferior technology (Read 69893 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A day of vinyl -- a reminder of inferior technology

Reply #250
I've seen his preamps go for ca. $500 as used gear. Not really good residual value...

I wouldn't even bother to use his preamps if they were free.  From the manual it looks like pure junk that doesn't last long.  I've left computers on 24/7 for years and only needed to replace fans or drives after a couple of years.  For something that's supposed to amplify sound it certainly doesn't last that long considering you have no moving parts other than a simple fan in some amplifiers.

If I can get something off ebay that still works 20 or 30 years after it was made or needs new capacitors to last another 20 or 30 years then that's fine to me.  Having to replace parts every 5 months is wasteful and makes me think that the product Atamsphere was selling is an unreliable piece of junk.  A product shouldn't need to be repaired every 5 months to continue working properly.  Probably went out of business because no one in their right mind wanted his stupid junk other than the idiots with the money to waste on it.

Reply #252
Probably went out of business because no one in their right mind wanted his stupid junk other than the idiots with the money to waste on it.
Atma-Sphere is out of business? His website doesn't suggest that, though.

I quite like the retro design of the MA-2 and MA-3 amps, especially the old-style VU meters. Makes me wanna get a bunch and use them for a small module that displays CPU load or something.

Reply #253
Wait, are you joshing, or seriously, you recorded acoustically, rather than digitizing the preamp out?  :o
That's how a HiFier rolls. SS Line inputs would degrade the sound far worse than that godawful sound captured by the mics we just heard. SS harshness and other melodrama, as any inmate will attest to. Plus you might have confused the greater amount of surface noise captured that way, with the real culprit, the Zoom preamp stability, not vinyl. You know, silent "vynil".
You can't afford a $100 cartridge, you wouldn't understand.

p.s. I did warn this was going to be funny. Very funny.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #254
p.s. I did warn this was going to be funny. Very funny.
Not just funny: pathetic.

And such ludicrous display as the one we've seen, makes me think this is not the last we'll hear from the placeboland inmates, as more are prone come here and try to erm, "prove" their point, so as to speak.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #255
Dude did a needle drop with A Mic?

After all that prevarication?

Are you fscking kidding me???
Unreal.

Reply #256
Let's just assume, it was a really good microphone, for well over $100. Probably some nice Condenser mic, with tube mic amps and everything, providing all the warmth and flavor for maximum veil-lifting.

I felt kinda queasy when I saw that microphones are placed in front of speakers on a live set for the first time. Then someone pointed out to me, that the speaker an electric guitar is connected to, is considered part of the instrument, technically. So then it kinda all made sense, eventually. etc.

So, maybe we should consider his amp and speakers part of the entire exercise?

Reply #257
Let's just assume, it was a really good microphone, for well over $100. Probably some nice Condenser mic, with tube mic amps and everything, providing all the warmth and flavor for maximum veil-lifting.

I felt kinda queasy when I saw that microphones are placed in front of speakers on a live set for the first time. Then someone pointed out to me, that the speaker an electric guitar is connected to, is considered part of the instrument, technically. So then it kinda all made sense, eventually. etc.

You will fall into Atmasphere's trap when continue to talk about mic quality, speakers and other nonsense. in this post I already pointed out a Zoom can sound better even when casually pointed to the speakers in a messy room without even using a tripod. If you are curious about the model that Atmasphere used in his flac, it is an H2n, as reported in his file's metadata:
A=PCM,F=44100,W=16,M=stereo,T=ZOOM Handy Recorder H2n XY STEREO

Now compare with my remaster in this post. Yes, a Zoom should at least sound like this. Find some random Vivaldi The Four Seasons-Summer recordings in Youtube, Spotify and so on and realize how strange Atmasphere's recording is. That was obviously an intentional attempt to hide his preamp's weakness.

Why use a mic? Simple. Low frequency hum? Furnace. Clicking sound? My wife was clipping her nails. Surface noise? It was me moving my ass on the sofa. You have infinite excuses when you record with a mic.

Reply #259

No, no, no, no!  I learned the extreme value of electrical signal connections over using mics and acoustical connections that  learned in 7th grade AV service.

The acoustic connection and using even the best mic and preamp in the universe brings in the 5,000 pound gorilla that you didn't even mention - room acoustics. Room acoustics and other spurious noises are clearly audible in his recording. Didn't you hear them?

Reply #260
Can anyone help me set this thing up I'm getting some pops, crackles and the occasional screech...........
Obviously all due to a highly unstable preamp.

My cats would correct all those symptoms rather quickly
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #261
You will fall into Atmasphere's trap when continue to talk about mic quality, speakers and other nonsense.
Dude, I was making a joke...

Why use a mic? Simple. Low frequency hum? Furnace. Clicking sound? My wife was clipping her nails. Surface noise? It was me moving my ass on the sofa. You have infinite excuses when you record with a mic.
Well, ok, that's really low, though. He'd better use an anechoic chamber and a reference mic for that, but oh well...

The Zoom recorders are nice recorders and all, but they have their drawbacks. I have a Zoom H1 and it's a nice recorder when either you attach another microphone, like a lapel mic to it, or you use it on a tripod. The case is not rattly, but kinda squeaky, I guess. when holding it in your hand, the plastic makes noises no matter how careful you are. But on a tripod using the internal mics, or using it as a recorder pack with an external mic, it's pretty good. Also, really good battery life!

Reply #263
I finally found the video I wanted Ralph to watch, a couple posts back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
The guy markets valve (tube) equipment based on the circlotron, 85-ish year-old technology and horrendously inefficient. Quite how much of that video do you think he's going to follow? Think in terms of lost causes!

Reply #264
The guy markets valve (tube) equipment based on the circlotron, 85-ish year-old technology and horrendously inefficient. Quite how much of that video do you think he's going to follow? Think in terms of lost causes!
Well, I cannot control how much of that is he gonna add to his knowledge about things. You see, the video more or less uses audio as means of getting a point across about something that is valid for the entirety of signal processing. But I'll happily provide information when I have something to share, notwithstanding whether he's willing to listen or just disregards that, etc.

I don't think that just because he shills his old tech, doesn't mean he can learn about these things, etc. In my industry we have lots of older people learning new things about engineering all the time, sometimes this means that how things were done up to that point are now considered sub-par or even plainly wrong. That's progress. Sometimes this is just down to misunderstanding, or a lack of a certain little piece of knowledge etc., the video kinda hints at that with how the sample-and-hold display is just a representation of something quite different, etc. Sometimes little things such as that are the reason for an entire huge blob of misunderstanding and arguing. This is especially true for the "bubble press", as I like to call them. They claim to be authoritative in a field in which they simply don't have all the information necessary to form an educated opinion, etc.

Reply #265
....resigned myself to the popping and noise and other auditory imperfections of vinyl....
- Just what I remember thinking! I was so desperate to get a CD player in the early days, I ended up renting one, because they were well out of my price range at the time...

Reply #266

And you couldn't just hooked it up to a computer?  You're full of shit.

Didn't see the point. Its not like any of my detractors here are serious. Why should I be?
I live in a cold climate and since you said your home was built in 1971 I can imagine what that looks like and how loud the HVAC system is.  You aren't fooling me.  That type of hum (especially that of AC coil whining through the vents in a small home) is quite different.  A furnace is distinctive in its cycles and operations and most will just make a sound similar to large fan blowing air through the vents.  You just hear the air moving through, although you may hear the flames fire up before the blower turns on during a cycle.  Terms such as 2 ton blower going through vent systems that has a capacity of 2 tons has been brought up by AC & Furnace repairmen alike.  Did you purposely stay up until 3 am to record this as those usually when you get the most furnace cycles?

All the more reason that you're so full of shit for not using line in on a recording device, dude.

Which hospital dude?  Regions, United, Fairview, Abbott Northwestern?  Those all got psycho wards for you to visit and stay a while.

Hm. Your reading comprehension is a little off. I did not say the house was built in 1971. I said I moved into it in 1971. The furnace is newer, but connected into the older duct work. That latter hums when the furnace fan comes on. The house was built about 1914.

The original Circlotron patent is by Cecil Hall about 1955. Sumo (GAS) used the Circlotron circuit, as did EV, BAT and a few others.

Reply #267
PM: "bricks? Fraud? demo?"

Hello Chibisteven,

Since you're so close by, perhaps you'd like to stop by for a demo? There is no fraud.

All the Best,

Ralph

Nope.

Hm. Your reading comprehension is a little off. I did not say the house was built in 1971. I said I moved into it in 1971. The furnace is newer, but connected into the older duct work. That latter hums when the furnace fan comes on. The house was built about 1914.
I was tired as hell following some very personal drama elsewhere and didn't care to read a bunch of nonsense from a salesman that sells overpriced junk I'm not interested in.  Line-in ports on recording devices are not hard to use.  So what if your home is over a century old, my grandparents once owned a house that was about that old.

Reply #268
And you couldn't just hooked it up to a computer?  You're full of shit.
Didn't see the point. Its not like any of my detractors here are serious. Why should I be?
...and that will end this chapter in the never ending saga.