Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Meaning of -V, -o, and various placeholders in EAC (Read 9311 times) previous topic - next topic

Meaning of -V, -o, and various placeholders in EAC

Hi all !

For the "Additional Command Line", I use the basic one (found on this good tutorial) :

-4 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

or

-8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

But I saw on a forum a guy using this one :

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=%e" %s -o %d

So I have questions :

1) What does "-V" mean ?
2) Why capital letters (ARTIST, TITLE, ...) ? (I've try but it doesn't change anything to the final name).
3) What does "%e" mean ? (I saw on a other forum but I can't remember)
4) What does "%d" mean ? (I saw on a other forum but I can't remember)
5) What does "-o" mean ?

I'm a no0by and i don't speak very well english (french^^). Sorry
Thanks for your help. I like EAC and your forum is very interesting !

Reply #1
I would guess that -V means verify after encoding.

Probably the names are case insensitive, so use whatever case you want.

%d tells EAC to fill in the name of the destination file, so I guess your original command line tells FLAC to use the default destination file name, based on the source file name.

Reply #2
Ok. Thanks.

No idea for the "-o" ?

Reply #3
I've found this :

%s Source filename
%d Destination filename
%h...%h Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
%l...%l Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
%c...%c Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
%r Bitrate ("32".."320")
%a CD artist
%g CD title
%t Track title
%y Year
%n Track number
%m MP3 music genre
%o Original filename (without temporary renaming)
%e Comment (as selected in EAC)

Reply #5
@ "greynol" : Thank you so much dude. Perfect (lil'bit complicated for me but I'll read carefully ... ^^)

Reply #6
Probably the names are case insensitive, so use whatever case you want.

The tag labels are written exactly as specified, so they are in fact case-sensitive.  OTOH, in all likelihood your player does not care about the case.

%d tells EAC to fill in the name of the destination file, so I guess your original command line tells FLAC to use the default destination file name, based on the source file name.

-o %d is completely redundant/useless.

Reply #7
So you think that << -4 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s >> is a good compromise between quality, size, bitrate, % of compression, ... ?

Reply #8
Quality is always the same: lossless is lossless.

"Size", "bitrate", "% of compression" aren't independent values. If you know one of them - you can calculate the two others. And the only setting related to them is "-4".

Reply #9
Ever since Synthetic Soul's comprehensive lossless codec comparison, the consensus has been that -6 was sweet spot between compression level and encoding speed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see effortless encoding at -8 with some of the processors these days, however.  If your CPU has more than one core, I would configure EAC to compress using 2 simultaneous threads and try increasing the compression level to the point where most of the tracks have still finished encoding by the time EAC has finished ripping (in burst mode).

Have a look at our EAC guides, particularly this one:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...C_Options#Tools

You'll see that I'm suggesting that you deviate from those that are recommended.  I have a hard time understanding why the recommendations are so conservative here.  I guess we don't want to cause problems with people who are using pre-hyperthreading P4 processors or slower.  Yet we suggest that the Extraction and compression priority be set to high???  I think I better send a PM to the author of the guide.

Reply #10
Thanks for your answer.
But if quality is always the same : lossless. Why choose a bigger size for the same audio quality ? And why is the bitrate different ?

Reply #11
Why choose a bigger size for the same audio quality ?
Some people aren't interested in spending additional CPU cycles for a minimal gain in compression

And why is the bitrate different ?
Simple math.  If the size of the file changes but the length of the file doesn't then the bitrate has to be different.  Something's gotta give, no?

Reply #12
So now my question is : wich "Additional Command Line" you recommend me for the best ("insane") results.

This one : -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -5 %s ?
(found on http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC)

Or

This one : -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -8 %s ?
(+ time / - size)

Or an other one ?

Reply #13
Well, if you want the highest compression, you must use the highest compression level (8).  As greynol said, it may take a little longer; that's why you have a choice of compression levels. There are probably options that can increase compression (or conversely speed) marginally in some cases, but I doubt it's worth the effort to try any; otherwise they'd be default.

Some basic reading on lossless audio will (hopefully) be enlightening. Try Wikipedia or Hydrogenaudio's own wiki.

Reply #14
So the highest compression level (-8) may take a little longer (than -0), but the size is smaller and the sound quality the same ? Right ?
(Cause that's exactly what I want !)

Reply #15
So the highest compression level (-8) may take a little longer (than -0)

Yep, depending on what you mean by "a little" ... might take many x the time to encode. (Differences in decoding speed are insignificant.)

but the size is smaller

Yep.

and the sound quality the same ?

All lossless formats decode to the same. That's why they are called "lossless".

Reply #16
Thanks to all of you for the answers. I've understood

Reply #17
Please note, both my guide and the guide you linked to are very out of date. I think the HA wiki is probably the most up to date resource