Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Stream Decoder Error (Read 48580 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Stream Decoder Error

Reply #25
got the file.  it's corrupted.  I can see in a hex editor that there are big blocks of zeroes where the middle of the id3v2 tag and beginning of the FLAC stream should be.

flac -dF is currently not able to decode through errors like this.

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292301"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So no way to fix it yet? No flac repair tools out there yet huh? Will using Case's Tag as stated above have any effect?

By the way, I repeat, the files play and sound great in Media Monkey (if I play a song that does not have this problem first), so I'm a little confused by your statement that the begining of the FLAC stream has a bunch of zeros in it...

P.S. I forgot to mention, that if there is a way to repari the file I do not mind loosing any of the tags as there are a plenty of programs that will be able to retag them from their filename/directory struction.

Reply #26
So no way to fix it yet? No flac repair tools out there yet huh?

no, the damage is too severe.  it is possible to recover frames on a frame-by-frame basis totally ignoring the metadata but I still have to add that functionality to -F.

another FLAC developer has written a frame decoder that includes recovery but I haven't tried it.  it may work for your files:
http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~lichvarm/affd/affd-0.1.0.tar.gz

Will using Case's Tag as stated above have any effect?

not on this file I don't think.  even the id3v2 tag is corrupted.

By the way, I repeat, the files play and sound great in Media Monkey (if I play a song that does not have this problem first), so I'm a little confused by your statement that the begining of the FLAC stream has a bunch of zeros in it...

can't explain that.

Josh

Reply #27
Thanks for the help. I'll check out affd. Keep up the great work!*

*Particularly if it includes -F functionality that totally ignores metaflac or a repair tool in the future.

Reply #28
I have the same problem. 3 songs out of 7 albums gave me that error message when playing them in Winamp. When I re-ripped those cd's it worked fine.

Reply #29
Still have those files... ...still haven't found a way to fix them (flacdec says no valid frames). Anything on the horizon?

Recap: These files ARE corrupt. But the "music" part of the file is 100% O.K. (it will play GREAT in MediaMonkey if non-corrupt files are played first). The corruption likely occured due to ID3 tagging and re-tagging.

Reply #30
CORRECTION: flacdec was able to recover each one of my corrupted files!

Reply #31
no, the damage is too severe.  it is possible to recover frames on a frame-by-frame basis totally ignoring the metadata but I still have to add that functionality to -F.

another FLAC developer has written a frame decoder that includes recovery but I haven't tried it.  it may work for your files:
http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~lichvarm/affd/affd-0.1.0.tar.gz

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292450"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just happened across this thread, but coincidentally I just tried the tool that Josh mentioned above.  In my case I am sure the files are corrupted due to a failing hard drive (that I am frantically trying to back up). In my case it is impossible to recover the exact original audio content, but my plan is to repair as best I can and to make note of the problem.  My logs for one corrupted track are below:
=-=-=-=-=
Test:
flac 1.1.2, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

Track03.flac: testing, 79% complete
Track03.flac: *** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
Track03.flac: *** Got error code 2:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_FRAME_CRC_MISMATCH
Track03.flac: ERROR while decoding data
              state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recovery with affd:
F:\FlacRepair>flacdec -r -f wav -v Track03.flac
Track03.wav.00000 [44100Hz 2ch 16bit], fsn: 0
1682 [4608] -> 1684 [4608]
missing 1 frames
samples decoded: 7755264
Track03.wav.00001 [44100Hz 2ch 16bit], fsn: 1684
samples decoded: 1906848
Lame-O repair attempts:
Track 3 wavs rejoined in Soundforge 8, pencil tool used to smooth splice transition, minor "glitch/pop" audible at 2:55.865
Track 3 Version 2 - Crossfade on .05 seconds: no audible "glitch", but slight "shortening" detectable in word "Millionaire".
Track 3 Version 3 - Crossfade on .01 seconds, still no audible "glitch", "shortening" less noticeable.
Track 3 Version 4 - Crossfade on .001 second - Best, still no "glitch", still slightly audible.

Reply #32
Lame-O repair attempts:
Track 3 wavs rejoined in Soundforge 8, pencil tool used to smooth splice transition, minor "glitch/pop" audible at 2:55.865
Track 3 Version 2 - Crossfade on .05 seconds: no audible "glitch", but slight "shortening" detectable in word "Millionaire".
Track 3 Version 3 - Crossfade on .01 seconds, still no audible "glitch", "shortening" less noticeable.
Track 3 Version 4 - Crossfade on .001 second - Best, still no "glitch", still slightly audible.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=377836"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I could have obtained better results in repairing using a hex editor?
(edit - well I tried to answer that for myself, and even without knowing the exact details of the compression algorithm, it is clear that if certain information concerning a frame is lost/corrupted, then the whole frame will be undecodeable - "no way back home").

Reply #33
ok, I just checked in a fix for -F that will allow flac to decode even if the metadata is gone.  KingTubba's file now decodes completely, although since the STREAMINFO is gone there's no way to do the MD5 check or tell if there is audio missing off the beginning.

Josh

Reply #34
[quote name='jcoalson' date='Jun 13 2006, 19:46' post='402734']
ok, I just checked in a fix for -F that will allow flac to decode even if the metadata is gone.  KingTubba's file now decodes completely, although since the STREAMINFO is gone there's no way to do the MD5 check or tell if there is audio missing off the beginning.

Josh

Hi, when will this new feature be available to use?  It sounds like exactly what I need.  I have about 400 albums that were on a hard drive that become corrupted.  Although I managed to recvover all the individual flac files fr the drive, I have just discovered that I cannot actually play any of them and show no tags in any editor.  I get the ERROR_LOST_SYCN when flac trester is run but the file looks to be the correct size, so I am hoping it is just the lack of metadata that is causing the error.  thanks.

Reply #35
hopefully some time this month.  most of the new major features are done.

Josh

Reply #36
hopefully some time this month.  most of the new major features are done.

Josh

Is there something like single commit of this that I can patch the Ubuntu 1.1.2 source package with?
I also had sporadic bad blocks once on my HD once and am still encoutering broken files that I put into a "quarantine" folder (which holds 41 items by now).
Often the corrupt part was very small (like 4096b?) and for very precious songs I knocked in the end of the corresponding vorbis file in an audio editor and recompressed the file.

Reply #37
sorry, code is too different.  there will be a beta available in a couple of weeks but the current CVS code can be used for recovery if you really need it.

Josh

Reply #39
hi,

i have several flac files on my laptop hdd. several month after encoding them it appeared that there are errors in one of my files. it didn't play along, but after a few minutes the player jumped to the next track. after some research and testing here are the sad facts:

http://viktor.podzone.org:8080/tmp/tests.ods

it has 2 sheets, hda3 is my /home partition, sda1 is an external backup drive. some strange things:

1)errors are different with exhibition cd2
2)on one drive it exists and on the other it doesn't (the "shivers" track)

in theory these files on the 2 drives are the copies of each others, thats why its so strange.

my previous hdd popped out, i replaced it with a new 160gb samsung drive. then it seemed to work fine, until these corruptions. BUT, other files (documents for example) don't seem to be corrupted, i can access & use them.

so, what's happening with my flac files?

if you need samples, i can host them no probz, just let me know what you need. thanks.

Reply #40
i think ive realised the source of the problem. once short before i replaced my hdd i copied my stuff to the new hdd, so the files could got corrupt on my broken hdd and somehow the command line didnt show read error on all errors (coz there were many errors but i still could copy a lot of files without warnings).

i guess this gotta be a reason... im gonna rerip my cds (fortunately they are genuine and i have them at home) and encode them with flac 1.1.4. also, ive already introduced a new rule for my music folder:

chmod 0400 music/*

this way no crazy app can f*ck with my files ;-) some time ago i just realized that "unkonw artist" tags appeared randomly in my files... but since ive used several different players that time i couldnt find out which jerk was joking me... so whatever, it seems to be hard to keep my collection clear

offtopic: what about flake?
"Increased compression and dramatic speedups for both encoding and decoding"
is this supposed to mean that the improvements made by justin have been merged into flac or are these independent changes?

Reply #41
is this supposed to mean that the improvements made by justin have been merged into flac or are these independent changes?

they're independent, flake is for the most part not based on libFLAC.

Reply #42

they're independent, flake is for the most part not based on libFLAC.

i see.

i have now located the corrupt files, moved them to the broken dir, and reencoded the old ones with 1.1.4. retested everything, and yet it seems to be fine. i will run tests regulary, and hopefully no further errors appear

btw, may i suggest to make the -V option to be default?

also, id like to thank your work, ive been using flac for quite some time, and i really love lossless (especially coz i collect audio cds and wanna achieve the best quality - what is better then lossless ? :-)

Reply #43
Hey viktor... I don't want to jump over your post, but I am having similar problems with my flacs. Not sure if this is hardware or software, but it sure seems like we need to regularly run tests on our flac library to check for errors.

Reply #44
Hey viktor... I don't want to jump over your post, but I am having similar problems with my flacs. Not sure if this is hardware or software, but it sure seems like we need to regularly run tests on our flac library to check for errors.

yea i surely will, at least to recognize hdd failurs in time. this is the simplest way.

its more likely that you also have hw problems.

i cant be sure in my case, but now im waiting for any error to occur again. in theory my hw is fixed now, so it shouldnt.

well see.

anyway, havent you had any hw problems recently?

Reply #45
anyway, havent you had any hw problems recently?

It looks like it might be a problem with the firewire connection. I have moved the ext hdd to a USB2 port and will correct the corrupted files. There was also a problem with a previous release of Media Monkey that might have also corrupted some files. The problem with these types of things is that corrupt files are "hidden" until you try to use them again. In my case, I was playing around with Synthetic Soul's flac-verify.bat file and just happened to stumble on a corrupt flac file. Pure chance.

So now I have created a batch file that I can schedule overnight to check the entire flac library directory and flag any corrupted files into a log file. I have also created a batch file that can check an album directory, create a log file of the complete flac -t output for every track and store this in the album directory. It also creates a .swf file for the directory. Once this is done, I'll also include a check of the .swf file in the library check procedure to see if throws up any errors on all other files (jpg, etc) in my library.

The bottom line is that, if we're wanting to archive our CD collection with a lossless copy, we must have a system to regularly test the archive so that we can catch problems before they get out of control. If I had been able to see that I was getting corrupt flac files when I only had one or two, this would not have become such a big problem. I should also have checked my entire flac directory when I moved it from one external hdd to another before I formatted the source hdd.

Lessons learned the hard way I'm afraid. 

Reply #46
hmm i think its not that serious.. once you located the source of problems. however, for me its simpler to check my flac files since i have only two dirs of music, in both of them i run a flac -t *.flac and voila!  hope the best...

Reply #47
Hello:

I've got a similar problem to that described here and thought I'd reach out for help - -

I have a rather large flac file (~90 Mb) which I burned to DVD years ago. I suspect at that time the file path was too deep (it is the deepest on the disc), or possibly contained illegal characters. It is possible neither or these is the case as well. In any event, Nero (6) burned it to disc without complaint.

Today I can copy that .flac file to my local disc, but metadata is missing (observed in dbPowerAmp context menus), and every program I have tried has problems opening it:

1. FLAC tester gives the lost stream error.
2. DB Power Amp (trying to convert to wav for example) complains the codec can't be opened.
3. Nothing from WinAmp whatsoever.

The two other flac files in this folder on this DVD do not exhibit the issue. I believe all other flac files on the disc are intact.

I have no way to recover this audio other than to attempt to fix the flac file.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

Reply #49
Destroyed beyond repair. Try to .zip it, and you will understand why

Edit: Well at least what you uploaded, contains no audio. But if the problem is that the pathname/filename on the DVD is too long, you might try to copy it using other tools than Windows' own. I use 7-zip's file manager for such -- 7-zip is a tool I nevertheless need, and its file manager allows me access when I have made too long pathnames/filenames for media files (... auto-naming with track title gives such annoyances).

Lucky for you it is a track that can be bought, not one of your own works which will take you weeks to re-record ...