Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best way to archive 96/24 wav files to DVD? (Read 1869 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to archive 96/24 wav files to DVD?

I am digitizing a vinyl LP collection, first recording at 96/24 then converting to 44.1/16 before burning to CD at 4x.

Let's say I want to archive the 96/24 wav files to DVD-R. How would others here do this without compromising the integrity of the files? Simply burn them at a slow speed? Or is there a better way?

Best way to archive 96/24 wav files to DVD?

Reply #1
Write them as data files, not audio files.

Write them at whatever speed works well for your writer. I don't know the current state of such matters for DVD, but those people who believe they get the lowest error rate on CD-R at very low speed are years out of date.

I would use compression -- flac, monkey's audio, etc. -- to make best use of the DVDs.

When I started doing LP transfers, I thought it might be a good idea to back up the raw recordings. I soon realized it would be much less hassle, less expensive, and require less physical storage space, to just re-record an LP if I ever wanted it again. Making back-ups of the raw recording seems quite pointless to me.

If you look at it objectively, 16 bit provides an essentially bottomless well of excessive dynamic range relative to what can possibly be recovered from an LP. If you are going to do fairly extensive processing to clean-up the recording -- removing clicks, pops, & crackle; noise reduction; rumble filtering; hum filtering; normalization -- 24 bit provides for smaller quantization errors than 16 bit. 32 bit floating is definitely better than integer processing, however. Of course your audio editor of choice has to support it. If you are just doing transfers from LP to CD-R, however, there is nothing to be gained by not recording at 16 bit.

The same objective look at sample rate says there is little point in recording at other than 44.1kHz. There is some aliasing that can be largely avoided with a higher sample rate but it is probable that the difference is not audible. It is almost certainly the case there is nothing else to gain when recording from an LP at a higher sample rate.

All of which are some considerations of what you should write to DVD. I back up the finished product (hours of post-recording processing) as data files (ape format), which gives me, on average, three LPs per CD-R. A DVD disk will obviously hold more.