Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Rip Advice - repair with CueTools (Read 10528 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Rip Advice - repair with CueTools

I've just started ripping my audio CDs to FLAC with EAC, and I'm still sorting out best practice, process etc.

One of my CDs has produced the following results (edited for length):

Track  8

Filename E:\EACrips\08. The Declining Winter - Red Kite.wav

Peak level 81.6 %
    Extraction speed 3.7 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 19AB6DF6
    Copy CRC 19AB6DF6
    Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 3)  [3794ECF4], AccurateRip returned [1FA5E99D]  (AR v2)
    Copy OK

Track 10

Filename E:\EACrips\10. Darren Hayman - Summer Visitors.wav

Peak level 97.2 %
    Extraction speed 4.0 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 7FBFDE0E
    Copy CRC 7FBFDE0E
    Cannot be verified as accurate (confidence 2)  [F97616EF], AccurateRip returned [554C2A29]  (AR v2)
    Copy OK

18 track(s) accurately ripped
2 track(s) could not be verified as accurate
1 track(s) not present in the AccurateRip database

Some tracks could not be verified as accurate

No errors occurred

End of status report

---- CUETools DB Plugin V2.1.3

[CTDB TOCID: UicV8Kmyaxw9pNZeLmwlYEZpN10-] found, Submit result: UicV8Kmyaxw9pNZeLmwlYEZpN10- has been submitted
[e8d3ca1b] (2/2) Differs in 9 samples @26:46:46,33:24:56,57:08:07
You can use CUETools to repair this rip.

==== Log checksum 36E503263BCC98A0C330435C81DA114458968F3C364D6A28D639441EA5081504 ====

I reripped with a different drive and got the same results (CRCs match previous rips). Given that should I accept the rip as okay - or should I use CUEtools to repair as suggested? (And if so how do I set up CUETools?)

Any advice much appreciated!

Reply #1
A confidense of 2 isn´t exactly a hard fact your rip is bad. Can be 2 idiots burned and ripped a cd from a broken rip so it reached the database.
Since your drive has ripped this cd with "Track quality 100.0 %" yours shouldn´t be wrong.
You may listen these 2 songs for audible errors if you are worried. If you are bored you can indeed use CUEtools to repair these 2 tracks and then compare these to the unrepaired ones. You can try to locate these different 9 samples and listen if there is any difference.
I think you should simply trust your own rip because you already used Test & Copy with high confidense.

Edit: i use the strong word idiot because i really hate how these rip databases are fed with garbage from bad copies
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
I've seen things like this on some very popular CDs, including some classic Pink Floyd - with high confidence levels of both variants, and differences in thousands of samples.

My guess is that the CD masters slightly differ, one could have been used e.g. for European releases, one for US. It's hard to determine in such cases which one is correct.

So my advice - don't repair it.
CUETools 2.1.6

Reply #3
Wombat and Gregory - many thanks for the advice, very useful. I was thinking along similar lines, and it's nice to have that confirmed.

Right, back to ripping!

Reply #4
Since your drive has ripped this cd with "Track quality 100.0 %" yours shouldn´t be wrong.

"100.0%" just means fewer than 0.05% (1 in 2000)* of that track's sectors required re-reads to get matching data. What matters is the "Copy OK" message; the rip could still be OK even if the quality is reported as less than 100.0%. Since we got "Copy OK" in the log, we know that if there were any re-reads, they resulted in matching data, as did the test & copy passes, so it's pretty likely that the reads were accurate.

I suppose matching data could be a result of the drive caching. If you are particularly paranoid, you could rip with different drive settings (tell EAC that the drive does cache, and doesn't use C2 pointers); this will be very slow though, and IMHO there's no point in wearing out your drive unless you are finding this test&copy-match + AccurateRip-mismatch situation happens with a lot of clean discs.

* I say this based on testing and finding that other EAC features which report percentages are actually rounding to the nearest tenth of a percent.

Reply #5
I've encountered several reissued discs of an artists' discography to be defective before pressing. The masters were obviously identical to an earlier pressing but several tracks had audible pops, and thus the whole CDs had non-matching AR results. So sometimes the audio data goes bad not on our side but on theirs, too. Another reason for me besides better mastering of old issues to rather hunt down used CDs instead of buying new ones.