Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Embedded Album Art with WavPack (Read 111854 times) previous topic - next topic

Embedded Album Art with WavPack

Reply #50
Just wanted to let you know that the current Development Build of Mp3tag adds support for cover art with APEv2 tags.

Hi Florian,

great news!

Possibly i have missed something: What format are you using? ID3 APIC?

Thomas

Reply #52
TheLink, glad that you like it

Possibly i have missed something: What format are you using? ID3 APIC?

I'm using the format that is used by the other apps that support cover art for APEv2 (AudioShell and JRMC):

Code: [Select]
<length> 32 bit
<flags with binary bit set> 32 bit
<field name> "Cover Art (Front)"|"Cover Art (Back)"
0x00
<description> UTF-8 string (needs to be a file name to be recognized by AudioShell - meh)
0x00
<cover data> binary

Reply #53
I'm using the format that is used by the other apps that support cover art for APEv2 (AudioShell and JRMC):

Thank you for the detailed answer!

It would be nice to have one cover art standard for APEv2. Possibly someone could add this as a recommendation to the format specification in the wiki?

Thomas

Reply #54
So what's the current status of "cover art in APEv2 tags" now?

There are two different ways to do it, "The Godfather way" which is inspired by the "ID3v2 way" and then there's the "JRMC way"...?

And what players support displaying the cover art? Was it "none yet"?

Can someone give a summary, please?

And yes, it would likely help speeding things up if you all agree on one standard.

Reply #55
The godfather way is no standard if you ask me, the JRMC is the offical santioned way.

Reply #56
The godfather way is no standard if you ask me, the JRMC is the offical santioned way.

Agreed.  That's the way it's done in the MAC library as Matt intended.  The wiki is just out of date.

Reply #57
Mighty glad you had a look into this again Alex B, noticed Softpointer Inc. used the tag you suggested.

Any way to strip WavPack files of ID3v1 with different means than a hex editor please?

I've just started embeding album art into my wavpacks.

You can easily remove id3v1 tags created by audioshell using foobar and it still leaves the art embeded.

1. go into foobar and hit ctrl+p
2. look under tagging --> mp3 and make sure "Force preferred tag writing scheme on all files regardless of existing tags" is checked
3. save all --> close
4. add, highlight and select an album with audioshell embedded art
5. right click and select tagging --> "rewrite file tags" This will remove id3v1 and force apev2 file tags leaving your album art intact.

of course you can add all your albums and "rewrite file tags" for your entire collection all at once if needed.

mp3tag maybe a better option until this bug is fixed in audioshell

Reply #58
but how to display this natively from wv files while playing in the popular players fb2k/winamp

Reply #59
not possible unless the foo_uie_albumart plugin is modified.

Reply #60
Will embedding and extracting images ever be supported by WavPack executables?
Or is there at least any free command line tool that can perform these tasks?

Reply #61
Is there a good way to get these album images to be embedded through REACT and be visible to FB2K 0.9.5? I can't seem to do it even though it is possible.

EDIT: Is it even supported with the wavpack encoders?
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #62
The command-line encoder cannot currently embed cover art because libwavpack only handles text fields in APEv2 tags. This is on my list to improve (perhaps with a stand-alone metadata cli utility), but I can't say when I'll get to it.

In the meantime, I don't know if there's a command-line program to do this, but there are several GUI tag editors that will.

Reply #63
The command-line encoder cannot currently embed cover art because libwavpack only handles text fields in APEv2 tags. This is on my list to improve (perhaps with a stand-alone metadata cli utility), but I can't say when I'll get to it.

Thanks for your reply. Then I'll be waiting for your stand-alone utility.

Btw.: It would be great if the self-extraction would also include embedded images!

Reply #64
I was wondering if there was a way to store album art in Wavpack files, so that a software audio player could read it and display it.  If this is possible, what audio players support it, and how can it be done?
Thanks

but how to display this natively from wv files while playing in the popular players fb2k/winamp

Sorry to rake up an old topic but I tried searching the forum and this is the thread most closely related to this topic I could find.

Many years ago (Wavpack 4.2) I ripped my CDs to Wavpack and MP3 using WACK, EAC, LAME and WavPACK. I did not realise then that the Wavpack and MP3 files I was creating did not have album (cover) art. I have about 2000 CDs ripped using the following Wavpack settings. Synthetic Soul made these

EXEPATH=D:\lame-3.96.1\lame.exe
ARGUMENTS=--preset extreme --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --scale %x --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --tn "%n" --tt "%t" --ty "%y" --tg "%m" %s %d
FILEPATH=D:\mp3\%a\%g\%n - %t
EXTENSION=.mp3
FILETYPE=1
APPLYREPLAYGAIN=false ;;;;;;;;;; mp3gain stores it's information in APEv2 tags.
REPLAYGAINEXEPATH=    ;;;;;;;;;; Using mp3gain with ID3 tags will cause the tags
REPLAYGAINARGUMENTS=  ;;;;;;;;;; to disappear on some players (ie, Foobar).

[WAVPACK]
EXEPATH=D:\wavpack-4.2\wavpack\wavpack.exe
ARGUMENTS=-hm -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Year=%y" -w "Genre=%m" %s %d
FILEPATH=G:\wav\%a\%g\%n - %t
EXTENSION=.wv
FILETYPE=1
APPLYREPLAYGAIN=false
REPLAYGAINEXEPATH=
REPLAYGAINARGUMENTS=

I have used iTunes to embed album (cover) art in my MP3 files but how do I embedd album art in my Wavpack files.

I have the album cover art in my "D:\MP3\Artist\Album" folders and in foobar I can display this album art for my Wavpack files by using this path in the Preferences (Columns UI). I wish I could use the same album cover art (from my D:\MP3\Artist\Album folders) and embedd the same into my Wavpack files in thier "G:\WAV\Artist\Album" foldes.

Reply #65
I have used iTunes to embed album (cover) art in my MP3 files but how do I embedd album art in my Wavpack files.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea how to do that automatically. The WavPack command-line tools can't add the cover art to an existing file (much less do batch operations).

However, a 3rd party tagger like Mp3tag would certainly work to copy the art work, but you would have to try it to see if it could do this in a batch operation (otherwise it would take quite a while with 2000 albums). There are some command-line tagging programs that can do batch operations (like Synthetic Soul's Tag), but I don't think it handles cover art.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! 

David

Reply #66
The WavPack command-line tools can't add the cover art to an existing file (much less do batch operations).

However, a 3rd party tagger like Mp3tag would certainly work to copy the art work, but you would have to try it to see if it could do this in a batch operation (otherwise it would take quite a while with 2000 albums).

I did try Mp3Tag. It is terribly combersome.

Currently I only use Wavpack on my PC Using Foobar) but I envision a day when my PS3 and ipods will be able to natively read Wavpack files and would love to then have my Wavpack files taggged with album art so that they art shows on the Ipod/TV screen or PSP controller. So far there is only one car Hu I know of that reads lossless natively (Pioneer's DEX-P99RS). Do you know of any others? Wavpack in my car would be a boon (with or without the album art).

Reply #67
The structure of the tag seems very simple, it seems to be the filename, then a null seperator, then the actual data of the file (a JPG in the case of your sample files)

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the filename?

Reply #68
‘Just because’ would be a good enough reason!  But it might also be a simple and logical way to differentiate between multiple images and, perhaps more importantly, to indicate their type. The latter seems especially applicable because the field written by JRMC does not specify the type of the information as does ID3v2 (as the MIME type), and one would think this information is quite necessary in some other form; otherwise, the receiving application would have to operate on guesswork.

Reply #69
The structure of the tag seems very simple, it seems to be the filename, then a null seperator, then the actual data of the file (a JPG in the case of your sample files)

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the filename?

Probably detecting if the file is front cover or back cover or artist image, etc.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)

Reply #70
Probably detecting if the file is front cover or back cover or artist image, etc.

No, that's the role of the field name (e.g. "Cover Art (front)").

Reply #71
Well then, again: file-typing, I guess.