Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Yes, I write or perform music however it has not been recorded.
[ 91 ] (22.9%)
Yes, I write or perform music and it has been recorded.
[ 82 ] (20.6%)
No, I do not write music.
[ 225 ] (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 464

Topic: Do you write or create music? (Read 69659 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you write or create music?

Reply #50
www.seanny.net

some old, crappy idm.
seanny.net

Reply #51
I've been composing music for a long time, but I still have never gotten into PC software and actually produced anything yet.

Mainly because the programs I've tried (Logic and Cubase) have not given me the flexibility I'm used to.

I used to use tracker software, which lets you just type in the notes in real time, which lets you take the music directly from your head and get it into the software without any need for planning. I haven't found any "professional" software that lets you do that so far.

Reply #53
I have written a little music here and there, all on the computer, nothing serious besides a few MIDIs I have no idea what happened too.

Reply #54
I am a musician (It's a hobby, not a profession, but I do stage perf.)
I usually compose on YAMAHA synth. and record on PC (Not MIDI, LAME! believe me!) 
I can play Piano, Harmonica, Guitar, Flute.
And I am even planning to upload my Instrumentals on my website, so any lover of Inst. music will gonna love it.
(Mid U! All will be of --preset extreme    so better have good BandW  )

Reply #55
I can play the C scale on a mandolin.

Reply #56
Uh I'm getting a bunch of javascript errors and the vote choices aren't showing up for me to select one. 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a2) Gecko/20060520 BonEcho/2.0a2
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #57
Uh I'm getting a bunch of javascript errors and the vote choices aren't showing up for me to select one. 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a2) Gecko/20060520 BonEcho/2.0a2

no javascript errors here, but the vote functions are not showing for me either.

From time to time I make a Trance/Techno track. I'm using Sony Acid Pro which I think is simple yet powerful.

My latest tracks:
Space Choir  (here is a higher bitrate version)
Trance Zone

I used to use tracker software, which lets you just type in the notes in real time, which lets you take the music directly from your head and get it into the software without any need for planning. I haven't found any "professional" software that lets you do that so far.

ehm, what about MadTracker?

J.M.

[edit -spelling]

Reply #58
I'm mainly using Reason and I am starting to learn Audition 2.0 (for messing around with samples) and Cubase (for VSTs).  I don't have much time these days so it gets maybe a few days a month of my attention.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #59
never

Reply #60
Played bass on three bands: one cover band when I was in high school, a "cumbia" band for weddings and parties and a punk outfit in my early days in college.

I am not that good, but I love to sing (and my friends say that my voice is not entirely unpleasant  )

Now I write amateur reviews of music albums in my native language (spanish)

Interested people can check them out here
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #61
Yes. Every day.

Former professional guitarist - 12 years on the road as a sideman in rock, blues, country, R&B, bluegrass and folk ensembles. At the risk of seeming a braggart, I am an expert lead guitarist in several pop styles. I have been on many recordings and produced recordings for others. I also do a lot of singing, lead and harmony.

I do not compose much myself, and prefer the role of interpreter. This is helpful as a sideman.

I have actually never used any computer based music creation tools - I am not interested in electronic music per se. I do use notation and recording tools (TablEdit, Goldwave, etc.) but do most home recording on a stand alone HD recorder because it is easy and portable.

I also play some other instruments, though none as well as the guitar:
Mandolin
Steel guitar (lap steel, Hawaiian)
Violin
Banjo

While obtaining my degree in Electrical Engineering I played in local nightclubs for a living, 6 nights per week. Good not-so-clean fun. I stopped relying upon music for my primary source of income in 1994, but still do some shows around town. I have children that otherwise keep me occupied; they are both becoming proficient on piano, bless their hearts!

Reply #62
yes.

fulltime bassplayer for more than 20 years now, mainly blues, r&b, rock and jazz. music is my life...

Reply #63
I've been at music for almost 30 years, I started playing rythmn guitar then went onto lead, from there onto bass and now onto synths/keyboards...Written a lot of material,made recordings onto CD's played live with several bands  ect...Now I just work with NI Instruments and Cubase doing PC music producing and processing...Got tired of the none-paying gigs so this is what I do now...Maybe in the future with the right band's attitude I'll join as a keyboard/synth player

Reply #64
Brutal death metal singer here.

Update: CANCRENA is gone... 

Now i'm the TSUNAMIED (ecodisaster grind) lead/vocalist 

... and I'm a (hobby) drummer too ! 

Finally i'm an (emerging) a/v music producer 

Reply #65
i make experimental electronic music, mainly drones and ambient.

I do this as Orphax and you can check my music (for free) at www.orphax.com

I also play in a band named Zonderland, there is am also behind the laptop. This is more post-rock like, though with a big psychedelic influence. Our website is www.zonderland.tk (if it still exists) but there is not much info there and no music the listen to either, though there is one track on last.fm

Reply #66
I'm an absolute beginner on the keys, know some computer music programms but don't do anything with that yet. Well, I recorded stuff, but it was at a local studio and not my own stuff. I plan to do some stuff, computer/keyboard based for a beginning but I need to get a usable soundcard first.
Well, I need some more good ideas and keyboard skills first anyway.

Reply #67
Hmm, I can't see the poll choices (Firefox 2.0.0.3).

I used to track back in the days with an Amiga 500.

I stopped after a while.

I started making music again in the Windows 95 days (Cubase VST) with my shiny new Terratec Maestro 32/96, combining MIDI with synthesized samples.

Then I stopped again. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

Reply #68
I do record sometimes but mostly I write music. And I agree with you, most musicains are probably audiophiles and vice versa.

PS can anyone else not see the poll questions?

Reply #69
I have recorded in the past but only with a horrible computer microphone.

Once i get my new drum kit, i'll be buying mics and stuff after, when i have a bit more money

EDIT: I cant see the polls either

Reply #70
Yes i make music or well, noise as Doki Doki.

Been doing this for some years now and you can find my releases on the net as free downloads.

Reply #71
Well, this thread is a little old but I don't care.  I write music but not lyrics, I also record music.  I have made one techno album but I used a keyboard and bass guitar for some actual recording (not just studio sound byte samples).  I have since made two instrumental industrial albums as well.  I made the techno album back during my freshman year in high school (this was in 1999), I made my first industrial album in 2002 and my second one in 2004.  I continue to make beats and musical hooks about once or twice a month but that is it.  I haven't made a full album.  I hammer out a song every once in a while.  It is strange that my first album was a techno one as I don't listen to techno and don't care for it.  My industrial albums have more of a Nine Inch Nails sound from "The Downward Spiral."  Unfortunately, only a handful of people have heard my music as I only have one copy of each album on CD and lossless backups on my computer.  I haven't distributed my music or anything like that.

Reply #72
I've been playing guitar since I was 10. I'm 20 now. I can play a few chords and scales on the piano. I usually write chord progressions, record them in Cubase LE, and then record a solo as a second audio track. I use a lexicon omega as my interface, which is way more inputs than I need, but oh well. May come in handy one day.

Reply #73
I guess i'll help in digging up this thread. I'm on my second year of A level music, so writing music of some form is compulsory! My deadlines are now just over a week away, so i may be boned. I thnk i have a long weekend coming up.

Outside of sixth form i play bass and a bit of piano - with the piano especially coming in handy for writing. I've never really tried recording anything of my own, with everything being written/submitted as scores in Sibelius. Music tech would've been the course for all that side of things.