Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestion] - Ratings System for components (Read 1863 times) previous topic - next topic

[Suggestion] - Ratings System for components

Hi,

I just now learned of foobar2000 quite by accident.

Something I thought would be great is a ratings system of some kind for all of the components made available for download.  This I think would help showcase the best foobar2000 has to potentially offer for possible new users while also sort of making the best suggestion to a new user on which components they might want to consider trying first.

Yes, I could be just another 1-post wonder so flame on if you wish.  For the record, I'm excited to learn more about foobar2000 and give it a try myself.  I'm really thinking I'm going to like it a lot just based on it being freeware and the "Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player" tidbit.  I've been a long-time user of Winamp, but what it has become (or hasn't become rather) since version 5 released has left much to be desired.  It's looking like foobar is just what I needed!

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Rating system is pointless the way foobar2000 components work. If a component is crashy, it gets banned/deleted/suspended/whatever until the author fixes bugs. If a component is listed, it should either work as expected or have too few users for it to be worth worrying about.

Reply #2
Also, I'd say that the usefulness of a component is very subjective.  A rating system would make sense if there were multiple components trying to be the best to do a specific job; however it seems to me that most foobar components are unique - they perform a role that no other does - and therefore comparing it to another is really irrelevant.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #3
I see.  Perhaps a download counter maybe?

Reply #4
the best idea is to try components that you think may be useful , once over the initial learing curve  adding/removing to check out a particular add-on is pretty straightforward.