Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIFF tags? (Read 8512 times) previous topic - next topic

AIFF tags?

I hate asking questions, as much as I do asking for driving for directions;  but after google-ing for a week, I give up. 

Is there a commandline program for tagging AIFF files?  I understand that Itunes does this (with ID3v1?).  Is this even a standardized format?

P.S. no need to preach about the uselessness of AIFF.  I've been trolling on this forum for years and am also a flac/lame/eac/foobar convert

AIFF tags?

Reply #1
[deleted]

AIFF tags?

Reply #2
Edit: (off-topic but interesting) - As far as lossless compression goes, WavPack looks to be the winner for formats like BWF and AIFF, since it supports lossless compression of RIFF chunks.  Hopefully AIFF input will be supported by WavPack in the future.

Well, I think all it would take is someone knowledgeable about AIFF - like you - to discuss it with Bryant.

I guess AIFF isn't supported in WavPack yet because noone asked. RIFF chunks weren't supported either, until someone interested in them contacted David.

AIFF tags?

Reply #3
>I guess AIFF isn't supported in WavPack yet because noone asked. RIFF chunks weren't
>supported either, until someone interested in them contacted David.

In a simpler world Wavpack does not need to know about the chunks, if it encounters any in a file which are not known (ie the format) it should save as is, no cleverness, a chunk is just that a block of data.

The real issues come if converting a tagged AIFF file to wavpack, then to some other format such as ogg, those tags should be read by the compressor and not stored as a chunk but as ID tags so they can be read and used later.

AIFF tags?

Reply #4
[deleted]

AIFF tags?

Reply #5
It might sound stupid, but BWF looks so complicated and only "available" for professionals.

However I am interested! But:
  • How would you convert FLAC or ALAC to BWF and keep the tags?
  • How can you rip a CD and autofill the tags?
  • Would mp3tag work? Because I correct tags with help from Discogs information

Daniël