Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What player did you use before?

Winamp
[ 282 ] (86.5%)
Windows Media Player
[ 6 ] (1.8%)
JetAudio
[ 3 ] (0.9%)
AudioActive
[ 1 ] (0.3%)
BeO Player
[ 1 ] (0.3%)
Other
[ 33 ] (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 371

Topic: What player did you use before? (Read 13411 times) previous topic - next topic

I was just curious about what players people were using before they (presumably) switched to foobar  .

As for me, I used to use JetAudio 5, not only because it was made by a fellow Korean, but because it supported both mp3s and oggs and sounded better than Winamp.

What about the rest of you?

Reply #1
What do you mean it sounded better??
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
I just thought it sounded "better". Perhaps "clearer" is the word I'm looking for.. I really don't know how to explain it...
But then on second thought, I think the primary reason was because of the album feature (too lazy to get the plugins for Winamp) and its ability to burn audio CD's direct from ogg files without manually having to convert them to wav.

Reply #3
I used winamp2, because of the Shorten input plugin and because of my very own super-1337 custom skin. I miss that skin a bit. Not much, though. Not enough to make me whine for skin support in fb2k 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #4
i used winamp280 with peter's updated plugins

Reply #5
People always forget to put Media Jukebox in polls
But I'm going to switch to fb2k if there are skins for fb2k

Reply #6
People always forget to put Media Jukebox in polls
But I'm going to switch to fb2k if there are skins for fb2k

there will never be

Reply #7
there will never be

There may be after Peter divorces the GUI code from the audio playing code and people can write their own interfaces for foobar, although they'd never be part of the default GUI.

Reply #8
I used Apollo, which has a similar interface to Foobar2000 - it looks like a regular Windows app and is "playlist-based".

I started looking for alternatives because Apollo would crash whenever I tried to add a very large number of songs to the playlist.

Apollo has no skins, and is very "plain Jane" in its appearance, but in reality it has a nice flexible user interface, (except for the hard-coded keyboard shortcuts).

Reply #9
I did and still do use QCD Player (www.quinnware.com). There are some aspects about it that I still prefer over Foobar2000. The one thing missing from it is that it does not support vorbis gain and all I use are ogg files. I used it because it was easy to use, did not use much memory and sounded much better than all the other players out there.

Reply #10
Winamp 2.81

Reply #11
Winamp 2.81 here as well. I still use it sometimes.
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

Reply #12
Winamp 2.81. Uninstalled it because it was always stealing Foobar's context menu options. Ah, if only your fellow Korean author of Sasami2k could fix the bugs of his player... I keep using it anyways. .
She is waiting in the air

Reply #13
Winamp 2.81
I've only been using f2k for a couple weeks, so I still use WA a little.
But its mostly f2k now.

Reply #14
I used Apollo, which has a similar interface to Foobar2000 - it looks like a regular Windows app and is "playlist-based".

I started looking for alternatives because Apollo would crash whenever I tried to add a very large number of songs to the playlist.

Apollo has no skins, and is very "plain Jane" in its appearance, but in reality it has a nice flexible user interface, (except for the hard-coded keyboard shortcuts).

Strange, Heiki (or what is the programmer's name?) has developed some further on Apollo lately, although he said the project was closed about a year ago. I mailed him about the mp3 input plugin (produced strange bassless sound) and he said there would never be an update anymore

Now you can use Winamp input plugins, but it probably sucks up resources. No more Apollo for me...

Reply #15
Winamp 2.81. Uninstalled it because it was always stealing Foobar's context menu options. Ah, if only your fellow Korean author of Sasami2k could fix the bugs of his player... I keep using it anyways. .

I don't even know what happened to that program... I remember the days when it used to get updated every now and then. I think the developer stopped working on it or something, because even the site seems to be outdated. I wish it had been continued, as I think it was (and still is) one of the better programs made by a Korean despite all the errors...

You know, it's funny how sometimes individuals or small groups make programs that are much better than those made by much larger companies. Need an example? Why, just look at foobar! 

Reply #16
I was satisfied user of Winamp2 until I heard the foobar2000's audio quality (UI is also quite good, doesn't take too much resources).

Reply #17
was using winamp3, but windows media player 9 starts much quicker!
Dan

Reply #18
Until fb2k 0.37 I was using Winamp.
Regards.

Reply #19
Other: XMPlay; I still use it once in a while.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #20
I used Winamp 2.81 with Peter's Plug-ins.

I switched to Foobar when Peter stopped working on Winamp.

- Agent 86

Reply #21
I was satisfied user of Winamp2 until I heard the foobar2000's audio quality [...]

It has been said so many times... unless one of them is incorrectly configured, there should be no audible difference between foobar2000 and Winamp. The internal 32-bit processing is, of course, in theory, more accurate, but I believe this advantage only becomes truly audible if you perform lots of processing that would reveal the limitations of 16 bit audio.

Now that's assumption vs. counter-assumption, I had better come up with some hard facts to prove my point . (I have a slight idea how I could do it, not certain though...)

Reply #22
There's some difference between wave outputs in WA2 and foobar2k. When I skip tracks in WA2, I hear some light clicks between 'em, with foobar2k I don't hear 'em (sound card is old SB AWE64).

Reply #23
i used to use foobar2000 v0.54 but now i use foobar2000 v0.55 

Reply #24
i used to use foobar2000 v0.54 but now i use foobar2000 v0.55