Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC keeps freezing up (Read 5136 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC keeps freezing up

Recently deciding to try and rip a few songs, I downloaded EAC and the other things required to rip to the uberstandard. I popped in my music CD and after configuring a few extra settings to ensure it was all working right, I began to rip a few songs I wanted.

EAC told me it couldn't auto-detect a read command. I tried manually doing it but that didn't work either. I figured my ASPI drivers must not have been working right. So I went to adpatec's site and installed the latest Windows XP drivers, as the one's provided according to MyDen's instructions seemed not to be working.

This time the errors changed. No matter what option I selected EAC began to freeze up, and continues to, during any and all forms of auto-detection and ripping. I can no longer run any sort of automated CD detection regardless of ASPI settings. I should note, by auto-detection I mean anything in any of the settings windows set to auto-detect a CD drive option, I can read what's on the CD's and detect all drives that are present fine. I need some help, please. I've tried this with both my Sony 16X DVD-Rom and my Sony 24X/10X/40X CD-RW drive, both return the same errors.

running windows XP (no service packs, but all hotfixes), using EAC .95 prebeta 3

On a sidenote I tried using CDDex and it rips, but the tracks are entirely silent, after a bit of tweaking (setting it to seucre mode and a few other things) it rips up to a second of music from each song then goes to silence.

If there's any further info needed, please ask. Thanks in advance for helping.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #1
Did you try the XP native inferface?
EAC Options -> Interface -> Native Win32 interface for WinNT/2000/XP

Feurio or Burnatonce can also work with this STPI interface.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #2
Eac is such a great tool and you shouldnt mind loosing some time to properly configure it..You must have downloaded allready made profil which probably doesent work good with your drive..For example i had cd-text ticked and drive wasnt been able to read cd-text-so it was constatly freezing on one of my earlier drives.Also be sure that your aspi is good(aspi4.60 is good choice)..Good luck!!!

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #3
Check for software tools running in the background ... as an example, EAC is known not to work properly while Intel Application Accelerator is running (early versions of the VIA KT133 chipset - remember the southbridge bug - also had some impact on EAC behaviour) ... additionally, you could check with various CD's ... maybe the one you use is copy protected.

Second guess could be to check that your drives are properly jumpered ... and check for DMA to be activated, too.

The Sony DDU-1621 DVD is a good ripper, along with the Sony 241040 CDRW which is a rebadged LiteOn LTR24102B IIRC ... both drives should rip very well (although slow with MyDen's required setting - by the way, do not mention illegal music p2p anymore ...)

Since CDEx cannot give you satisfying results (silence instead of a wav is mostly due to a non-matching read command), I would assume some upper-level hardware defect/malfunction (mainboard or controller or RAM) since both drives do not rip properly ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #4
JeanLuc, I never mentioned P2P, just that I wanted to rip to the uberstandard, which was because I had come to believe that would make me extremely high quality song files off of my CD, nothing illegal about that is there?.

As for pre-made profiles, yes I used MyDen's profiles for EAC, guess I can fiddle with it some more. The main problem is regardless of selected ASPI interface it always freezes on auto-detection of anything. So I can't find the read command or properly find the extra options. As for ASPI the driver's I got were 4.71, I've tried those and XP's native interface allready, as well as enabled CD locking to see if that helped.

I always close out background apps, only things I keep running all the time are trillian and Norton's auto-protect. Don't think my CD is copy-protected, as it's an old CD. Vertical Horizon's Everything You Want CD, originally released in 2000.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #5
Well, I know Chris Myden and know what his recommended settings aim at so don't worry

You might try disabling every background app (take a look at the different processes in the taskmanager, too), including trillian and symantec system-slowdown as well ...

You might want to check out another operating system, too ... I'd recommend KNOPPIX which is a CD-based Linux distribution (based on Debian) that can be booted from CD without affecting anything ... IIRC, there is a CD ripper included

If all these things do not help, take the CD, the drive with EAC and Myden's config file to a friend's computer and see if the problem persists ... if not, you definitely have a hardware problem (it would be very helpful if you could post some additional information about your system configuration, though) ...

Cheers,

Sven

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #6
Full hardware config is as follows

ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard (latest BIOS update, using Via Hyperion 4.49 drivers)
512MB PC 2700 DDR SDRAM
AMD Athlon 2600+ Processor, with Barton core
Radeon 9600 Video card (using latest catalyst 3.9 drivers)
The DVD rom model you allready posted.
CD-RW's model number is CRX175A1
Pnic Fast 10/100 ethernet card.
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 30GB hard drive, it's the OS drive, label F
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 60GB hard drive, it's got all my other stuff, Label C.
I also have a gameport/extra USB port expansion card for the motherboard inserted, sound is off of motherboard sound.

OS: Windows XP Professional (not corporate, the pro you buy at a store), with every hotfix, no service packs though.

I hope that's enough, and I can rip with this drive, I've done it before using MusicMatch jukebox, I just don't want to use that with this as I want the guaranteed quality that EAC provides. Ask if there's any further info required.

And as for another OS, there's no real point in doing that, temporarily switching seems a bit pointless as this one does what I want, I just want to figure out what's wrong with EAC. Thanks again for the assistance.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #7
Hm ... sounds very strange to me ...

1. your hardware is quiet up-to-date
2. your drives work with MM Jukebox
3. on Win NT/2K/XP, native interface (aka Device IO Control) should work flawlessly ...

What I would do first is:

1. discard MyDen's config file, delete the EAC reg settings and re-install EAC afterwards
2. use MMC-1 as read command for both drives
3. MyDen is very picky about drive caching abilities (he enables the "drive caches audio" checkbox even if the drive definitely does not cache audio as can be cross-checked with Ferio!) - fact is that only your burner caches audio, not your dvd drive

I would use the following EAC/drive settings (which fulfil his standard as well)

EAC Options - Extraction

EAC options - General

EAC options - Tools

EAC options - Interface (note that Native Mode will work as well)

Drive options - Extraction

Drive options - Drive

Hope this helps ...

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #8
Still no luck, tried using all the possible MMC1 read versions with CDex as well and no luck with that either. CDex keeps saying in the rip log that there are jitter errors for practically every second of the song, though on some modes it can rip about a second of music before it goes blank and gives jitter errors.

Thanks again.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #9
Have you alredy tried using a different cd for the ripping process.  This really souds quite similar to the problems I've had ripping some copy protected cd's.

EAC used to lock up on Autdetect read command and CDex used to encode the tracks to silence.  In the end the problem went away by updating the firmware for my LiteOn drive.

Reporting an unusual amount of jitter errors could also point in the direction of a copy protected cd.  Except if you are using a badly scratched cd.

I would at least try to rip with one clean cd that you know of having no copy protection.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #10
I'll have to take a look, I probably have something I can test it on. It really would surprise me if this was copy protected. The CD was released way back in 2000, before copy-protection was even really in wide use anywhere. I'll have to see if it is copy protected and if so figure out a way of getting around it. Thanks for all the assistance.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #11
You did not try this with several CD's ?

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #12
I just tried it with two additional CDs which cannot possibly have copy protection. They were pressed in 1996, before it even existed in any form. I've gotten the exact same results with both of the other cds, so it's not copy protection.

Edit: I noticed that the CDs can play under CDex's play command, strange.

Another question: Can only the drive with that small four-pin special connector do audio extraction, or should both be able to?

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #13
Extraction is carried out via IDE bus, not the analog audio output ...

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #14
Ah, thanks, never knew what that connector was for.

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #15
From adaptec, download aspichk.exe

This should tell you what aspi layer you have installed.  I've had problems with parts of different aspi parts being installed.

Then you can try downloading aspi v4.60.  Don't worry that it says it's not for XP, it will work.  Version 4.71 has been buggy for some people. 

If all that fails try Asapi or ForceAspi
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

EAC keeps freezing up

Reply #16
I had this same exact problem.  I finally tracked the source of this issue down to the VIA IDE Miniport Driver, located at http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=340.

Once I nuked that driver, instead relying on the default VIA IDE Filter Driver within the 4in1, all of my functionality returned to EAC and CDex. 

Fallout2man: If you have that driver installed, try removing it.