Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes succeeds where EAC failed? (Read 2777 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes succeeds where EAC failed?

Hi all,
Today I came across an interesting phenomenon. I was trying to rip a CD to Apple Lossless using EAC ("Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" by Bright Eyes), but it kept returning an error. The CD is clean, I washed it twice and tried re-inserting it in the drive, but every time EAC would get stuck on track 1. Skipping it would result in the same error on track 2.
I then tried ripping it using iTunes, and it ripped smoothly in about 5 minutes. The resulting files sound fine, but AccurateRip doesn't recognize them.
What could be the issue here?
last.fm/user/ihatepretending

Re: iTunes succeeds where EAC failed?

Reply #1
My guess is that there is indeed an issue with the CD. By default iTunes rips in some kind of "burst" mode so can/will continue after encountering a read error. The resulting file will then have an error (even if it is inaudible) and that is why AccurateRip doesn't match.

In the iTunes settings under 'Import Settings' there is an option to enable 'Use error correction when reading Audio CDs'. If this reads the track and the subsequent audio file passes AccurateRip then your problem is solved.

If it doesn't read the track accurately I would go back to EAC and see if fiddling with its settings helps you rip them correctly. It's been over ten years since I used EAC so I don't really remember all the options but I believe there are some, including ones which grind things to an agonisingly low speed to get passed the error.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #2
I assume the CD has some Copy Control, due to the release in 2005.
Check out for the logo on the cover .
More infos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

Recommendation for EAC: Burst Mode

CopyControled CD don't give you good AccurateRip results.
.halverhahn

Reply #3
I assume the CD has some Copy Control, due to the release in 2005.
Definitely not. There are no copy-protected releases of this Bright Eyes album.

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies!

It's not copy controlled.
I tried it in EAC in burst mode, and it worked as quickly as iTunes did. AccurateRip recognized tracks 5-12 as accurate and the first 4 as "Differs in ___ samples".

I tried ripping only tracks 5-12 in secure mode and it worked normally. So there must be some defect in the first 4 tracks of this particular pressing.

Turns out burst mode can be useful in pinpointing the problem track(s).
last.fm/user/ihatepretending