Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What setting do you use with LAME 3.97b2?

High bitrate VBR: -V 0 --vbr-new... -V 2 --vbr-new
[ 149 ] (59.4%)
Mid bitrate VBR: -V 3 --vbr-new... -V 5 --vbr-new
[ 85 ] (33.9%)
Low bitrate VBR: -V 6 --vbr-new and below
[ 6 ] (2.4%)
High bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
Mid bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
Low bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
High bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 4 ] (1.6%)
Mid bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Low bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Other (please explain)
[ 4 ] (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 312

Topic: The LAME usage poll (3.97 only) (Read 29028 times) previous topic - next topic

The LAME usage poll (3.97 only)

With LAME 3.97b2 now being the standard for MP3 and people moving on from 3.90.3, 3.96.1 etc., it makes sense to me to make a poll to find out what everyone is doing with 3.97b2.

Please be nice and explain why you have chosen your answer
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #1
I use -V5 --vbr-new.
  • I have personally never noticed any issues at this level, athough that isn't surprising as my ears aren't the best.
  • I listen to a lot of my music in the car, or at work where my enjoyment is occassionally interupted by me having to do some programming, i.e.: listening conditions aren't perfect.  Oh, add two young kids to that list.
  • Testing performed by those with much better ears than I have proved that it is near-transparent, and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy (and a little less inadequate).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
Mid bitrate VBR: -V 3 --vbr-new... -V 5 --vbr-new

Did a fair bit of testing of material I typically listen to, and I'm happy enough with the above.  Usually it's V3 but I'm trying V5 a bit lately. 

The LAME folk have done an impressive job.

Reply #3
With the prices of flash memory going under the ground, size is not a matter any more, so -V 2 --vbr-new is just perfect for me.

Reply #4
I use -V1 --vbr-new --noreplaygain --scale x.xxxx, because my personal anal retentive factor lies somewhere between -V2 and -V0.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #5
-V2 --vbr-new --noreplaygain  most of the time (occasionally V0 for stuff I "care" about more). There's no reason to not use at least -V2, since the size increase is negligible and I'd rather reduce the risk of artifacts.

Reply #6
Where does "-V 2 -vbr-new -Y" fit in?
I use that the most...

BTW I consider -V5 my low bitrate.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #8
-V3 --vbr-new
though V4 is already transparent to me, and most of the time V5 as well

Reply #9
I'm using: -V 2 --vbr-new -Y
That is in fact the cross between High bitrate VBR & Mid bitrate VBR.
I want to have the best quality but avoid the sfb21 bloat. Expression in this thread.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #10
-V3 --vbr-new --noreplaygain for music (as voted)

-V6 --vbr-new --noreplaygain for audiobooks

I know that some people actually use something along V2 (or even losless) for home stereo and so on and V5 for portable use which leads to 2 different libraries. Me, I use itunes and my ipod with the above settings and a losless image for backup purposes only (burnt to DVD). Hence, I feel like V3 is a good compromise for just one library.

Regards, Phil

Reply #11
i use -V2 --vbr-new for high quality music and -V9 --vbr-new -mm for audiobooks.

Reply #12
-V2 --vbr-new for me.

I've done several listening tests comparing -V2 --vbr-new to lossless files and to me there's no difference whatsoever.

The fact that foobar2000 comes with this setting as default for mp3 encoding says a lot.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Reply #13
I've recently switched back to LAME MP3 from iTunes AAC and have chosen -V 2 --vbr-new as my setting.  I wanted high quality files without the mass amount of data that lossless files would give me and -V 2 may as well be lossless to my ears.

Reply #14
Me sig says it all  .
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #15
-V 4 --vbr-new

My personal "standard preset" for portable player usage (in -V 5 I find artifacts quite often).  Of course that's only when it must be MP3, otherwise I prefer -q 4 OGG.
Not really a Signature.

Reply #16

I know this was going to come up, I guess -V 2 --vbr-new -Y could be counted as High bitrate VBR because it gives higher bitrates than -V 3 --vbr-new and the scale I used in the poll options lists -V 3 and below as Mid bitrate.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #17
I have voted for other...
I know this was going to come up, I guess -V 2 --vbr-new -Y could be counted as High bitrate VBR because it gives higher bitrates than -V 3 --vbr-new and the scale I used in the poll options lists -V 3 and below as Mid bitrate.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #18
-V3 --vbr-new

I use it because it's the highest setting that incorporates -Y automatically.  I suppose I could use -V2 --vbr-new -Y.  I actually did try that and the bit-rate difference between that and -V3 was insignificant.

Reply #19
I use -v3 --vbr-new

A great compromise between quality and size, especially with portable players. Most of my music are in the 150-170 range, which is to me the sweet spot for bitrates.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #21
-V 5 --vbr-new for classical music
-V 2 --vbr-new for non-classical music

LAME 3.97b2 has problems, so I use 398a3 in some cases that distortions are easily audible.

Reply #22
jstereo

omg y u wanna destroy stereo ??ß?ß

I go with -V 6 --vbr-new as I use MP3 for my portable that only supports MP3 and WMA, the latter not being an option for me. When listening to music outside, I don't notice any artefacts that I would possibly spot when ABXing on my PC. At home, I use Vorbis.

Reply #23
-V1 -- vbrnew

... for just that extra measure of quality assurance. It's purely psychological, I know, but what's a few MB more overall for peace of mind?

Reply #24
Last I used LAME, was using -V 3 --vbr-new.  Stopped doing mp3 about the last 2 months or so