Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: metadb.sqlite - What is this? (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

metadb.sqlite - What is this?

It's getting bigger and bigger. Is it safe to delete this file?

Re: metadb.sqlite - What is this?

Reply #1
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,124371.0.html

You can open it with notepad and despite it being binary you can see some of the contents--playlist contents, song lyrics, radio station entries, "you name it."  Deleting it is bound to be a bad idea, as would trying to "edit" the contents in a text editor.

As discussed in the link, free space in the file can be eliminated with the mentioned tool, but the actual data inside never gets deleted, even when the related files/playlist entries have been completely removed from Foobar.  Just some sqlite "thing" I guess, and yes what a PITA.

Reply #2
Thanks for the info!

Reply #3
As well as containing all cached metadata, it also contains all data from foo_playcount and any other components that utilises the same techniques from the SDK for storing data without tagging your files.

I have a few myself:
foo_lastfm_playcount_sync
foo_playcount_2003
foo_cover_info / foo_cover_utils

And other 3rd party components:
foo_enhanced_playcount
foo_skipcount
foo_skip

And probably more I don't know about.

edit: I must admit, I preferred the 1.x era way of storing this data in unique files for each metadb index (a component can have more than 1). Some may be familiar with index-data folder which contained these files but that is no more.