Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC: How to set/change FLAC compression ratio (Read 4267 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC: How to set/change FLAC compression ratio

After 8k MP3s I just discovered rational for lossless

I have FLAC setup with EAC as the front-end.

I have command line options:
--best %s -T title="%t" -T artist="%a" -T date="%Y" -T genre="%m" -T album="%g" -T tracknumber="%n" -T libid="CALU"

I ripped/encoded a title: Adouma -Santana  WAV=43.9k  FLAC=31.6k
THat's only a 30% space saver.

What do I change within EAC to achieve higher compression?

TIA
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

Reply #1
The --best line means FLAC is already giving it the best compression it can. There are a few other codecs that give better compression than FLAC, but at the most only a couple percentage points. Lossless encoders tend to do better on quieter material. Modern dynamically compressed music doesn't tend to compress very well.

Reply #2
I've been wondering the same thing about --best. But, I know this is stupid but just to be 100% clear, no matter what command we use (--best say) it will always be lossless and can always get back the original wav? Correct?

Reply #3
No matter what level of compression you use, a lossless file will always restore to the original wav.  The only thing higher commpression does is on some codecs, it's more intensive (i.e. longer) to decode them.

Reply #4
when I add --best to my command line:

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I get an error message;  can't open input file, but the compression seems to go ok.  what's going on?

-Ron

Reply #5
when I add --best to my command line:

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I get an error message;  can't open input file, but the compression seems to go ok.  what's going on?

-Ron

Try:
-8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

-8 is the same as --best

Reply #6
The only thing higher commpression does is on some codecs, it's more intensive (i.e. longer) to decode them.

Generally true, but not so for FLAC files. Unless you use an insane custom compression level, compression rate does not affect decode time.