Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: It's possible RIP Old CD with tracks in DTS, always retaining the DTS encoding (Read 276 times) previous topic - next topic

It's possible RIP Old CD with tracks in DTS, always retaining the DTS encoding

Hi everybody, I don't know if my question is OT, if yes I ask you sorry.
I have some old CD DTS that I would rip in my server and play them with Emby in DTS audio, it's possible?
I tried to rip the DTS CD with foobar to flac, but it loses the DTS encoding, can you tell me how should I proceed to convert the CD to flac (or other format), keeping the DTS encoding?
Thanks and ciao

Re: It's possible RIP Old CD with tracks in DTS, always retaining the DTS encoding

Reply #1
I tried to rip the DTS CD with foobar to flac, but it loses the DTS encoding,

I don't know but if it's getting decoded to playable audio, foobar must be decoding it.    Or something is decoding it when it's played.   Because undecoded DTS sounds like pure noise.  (As you know if you've ever played it in a regular CD player.)

Re: It's possible RIP Old CD with tracks in DTS, always retaining the DTS encoding

Reply #2
As far as I understand, foobar2000 now decodes DTS out of the box by default, but there is a switch for it: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125116.msg1036257.html#msg1036257

Ripping to FLAC or WAVE does retain the "DTS" signalling because - like HDCD - it is only detected from the audio. So apart from FLAC saving some 176 kbit/s, it shouldn't matter what format you use - but have you done any ReplayGain or anything similar to them?