Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are the AKG K7XX headphones good for composing? (Read 4366 times) previous topic - next topic

Are the AKG K7XX headphones good for composing?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting into MIDI composition, and noticed that massdrop had the AKG K7XXes available again. Are these good quality headphones without audiophile gimmicks or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

Re: Are the AKG K7XX headphones good for composing?

Reply #1
I don't know anything about those headphones but in general I always suggest you listen for yourself because opinions & preferences vary, comfort varies person-to-person, and because of they way headphones interact with the ear they are difficult to measure.

If you search this forum you can find headphone recommendations but you might not find any information about that headphone.

For "composing", anything will work.   For mixing & mastering the experts will recommend not using headphones (unless you're making a headphone/binaural mix).

Reply #2
If you have money, I suggest AKG K712 for composing, mixing, etc. (the improved version of K701 and K702, which are great themselves). You'll never regret. Make sure you have a solid amp.
Never touch AKG Q7XX series.

Reply #3
I did some research on the K712s, and found that they would be about the same price as the K7XX. Since they're a bit better reviewed than the K7XX, I opted to go with them. I don't care for any kind of effect built into my headphones that I can't get with EQ, so that's the kind of answer I was looking for here rather than subjective terms such as "good"... what amp should I pair them with? Remembering again, I'm not looking for any effect I could get perfectly well with some EQ tweaks

Reply #4
I know a lot of producers use ATH-M50x but like DVDdoug said, you can't judge your work as well as on speakers.

Reply #5
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting into MIDI composition, and noticed that massdrop had the AKG K7XXes available again. Are these good quality headphones without audiophile gimmicks or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

Any headphones that cost much more than $100 are sliding into the morass of audiophilia, given the sound quality of what you can buy for around $100 or less.

Trust me, its your musical artistic and technical  skills that are going to be the critical success factors for you as a composer, not the choice of headphones.  Obsessing over expensive gear is probably just an unconscious delaying tactic.

Note that Beethoven did some of his best work apparently after he became deaf.

Reply #6
If you have money, I suggest AKG K712 for composing, mixing, etc. (the improved version of K701 and K702, which are great themselves). You'll never regret. Make sure you have a solid amp.
Never touch AKG Q7XX series.

You base these comments on what ?