Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation (Read 96260 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #375
Perhaps also the Jackson paper from 2016, if possible.

Please consult the relevant threads here that were posted at the time. It is easier than having us all rconstruct them for your benefit just because you don't want to do a few minutes research.

Fair enough :-).
However, I just spent some time doing that now and didn't get much the wiser. Theiss' paper is the one with the highest score, yet I couldn't find any info on it on this website, except that the name was mentioned twice in the same post in this very thread. The two Jackson papers I couldn't find much info on HA about either. They were discussed quickly in this topic as well, although I think it might have been one of those two papers where you mentioened that the transition band was too narrow.
Before searching, I had an impression my search would be fairly fruitless (maybe I searched recently and forgot these were the results), but I also had the impression that you, Arny, read most of the papers mentioned in the meta-analysis after the meta-analysis was published, as the only person here on HA.
But I understand that what I'm asking is a lot. I just hoped that you, Arny, could recap in a few words why each of the high-scoring papers were unreliable, as I think this might be useful for several of us - not only me right now, then also others who will look up the matter in the future.
But if you decline I understand :-).
Thanks anyway.
"What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"
- Christopher Hitchens
"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge"
- Sam Harris

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #377
Theiss' paper is the one with the highest score
Of what?

The two Jackson papers
Of what relevance?
Scores?

I see now that Arny mentioned earlier that Theiss' paper is not musical content but impulses, although it did mention a symphony. Anyway, it said 74.51 % correct answers in differentiating hi-res from CD quality.
- Christopher Hitchens
- Sam Harris

Reply #378
Anyway, it said 74.51 % correct answers in differentiating hi-res from CD quality.
Nope, not what Theis Hawksford paper said.

But since you like keeping score:

REISS
In summary.... the causes are still unknown
Score: Zero
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #379
Anyway, it said 74.51 % correct answers in differentiating hi-res from CD quality.
Nope, not what Theis Hawksford paper said.

But since you like keeping score:

REISS
In summary.... the causes are still unknown
Score: Zero

Okay, fair enough. As I'm not able to read the Theiss paper, but only the meta-analysis, which I've only had a quick glance at, then it says 74.51 % in the table on page 5 in the meta-analysis. Anyway, I'll have a more thorough look at the meta analysis.
- Christopher Hitchens
- Sam Harris

Reply #380
it says 74.51 % in the table on page 5
Yep. With 4 question mark columns.

And "supertweeters" again being "added".
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #381
But I suppose there's nothing wrong with adding supertweeters. After all, some speakers are constructed like that, although I am aware that they are rare (my first "serious" stereo system, a Sony midi system in the mid 90s, had super tweeters), and to hear any supersonic content, if there is any to be heard, which I'm still skeptical of, then obviously we need equipment that's able to play it.
As for the question marks, almost all of the studies have some of those, although, obviously, it would be best if they didn't have any. The Theiss paper is after all deemed "neutral", but...
- Christopher Hitchens
- Sam Harris

Reply #382
I suppose there's nothing wrong with adding supertweeters.
Supposition isn't science.

As for the question marks
They need answers, before "scoring".

REISS

In summary.....the causes are still unknown
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #383
I thought it was common agreement here that supersonics should be handled by separate [call them supertweeters if you may] so that IMD does not creep into audible frequencies?

But yes, if the meta-analysis itself put so many question marks on the study...

Reply #384
I thought it was common agreement here that supersonics should be handled by separate [call them supertweeters if you may] so that IMD does not creep into audible frequencies?
Not that I'm aware of.
None of the "add on" ST studies seem to mention any specifics of filtering (or IMD).
Plenty "tweeters" capable of >20Khz response...ala the BS study using a SEAS in the Meridian speaker.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #385
I wonder how many times I have seen "BS" here, only to ask myself whether it's supposed to read as "B for bull" or "S for Stuart".

Reply #386
Correct.

Reply #387
I wonder how many times I have seen "BS" here, only to ask myself whether it's supposed to read as "B for bull" or "S for Stuart".
We should talk about MQA Bob in the future to prevent confusion. We also have a typical hand movement:

Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #390
Well. unless I can't see it, his only response to my question, was the next day....in 2016.
Even if it in no way addressed what I actually asked.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #391
Oh, I didn't know you'd seen it already (2016 reply)

Reply #392
Well. unless I can't see it, his only response to my question, was the next day....in 2016.
Even if it in no way addressed what I actually asked.

I think that Dolby's strangle hold on AES is now so strong that the resident golden ears can just quash people who see through their hype and trickery.  They used to talk around probing questions, but power is power.