Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Auto-tagging MP3 that were originally analog-sourced (Read 3548 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto-tagging MP3 that were originally analog-sourced

I have a collection of 37 CDs that were personally mixed over the years. I started back with a used CD recorder (1x, costing $450). At the time, blank CDs cost $7.50 each. I took my aging analog tapes and converted each song to wave and burned them to CDs. Later I used more and more CDs for source as they became available. I played the CDs mainly in my car with a 12-CD player. Now I am converting everything to MP3 for my new car stereo, ripping the CDs and auto-tagging the files. Everything went well with CDs 23-37, and I only needed to manually edit a few files. Because the file names are generic, I used MP3 taggers that detected audio fingerprints. Now I have the first 22 CDs left to do and I am finding no luck identifying them automatically. I have tried at least 6 Windows-based programs, including WinAmp, Foobar2000, MP3 Tag Finder ( worked well for my digitally sourced CDs) mp3tagexpress, Jaikoz, mediamonkey and picard. It seems that the analog-sourced files are not found by fingerprinting.

However, android apps Soundhound and MP3 Tagger IP3 have no problem identifying the Title and Artist.
The latter app also will tag them. It takes more time to move the remaining 400+ mp3 files to android for tagging
and then back again for cleanup and final storage.  Before I do that, I thought it was worth asking if there is a better solution.

Auto-tagging MP3 that were originally analog-sourced

Reply #1
I used Tunatic in the past with pretty good results but don't need any of these things often enough to care about automatic tagging or the ability to copy and paste results and I haven't reinstalled it when I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro, especially as I can use my Android phones for this through Shazam or "OK Google What's This Song?". Also, I don't think I've tried any with tape transfers that could feature wow and flutter and all manner of other audible flaws that might affect certain matching algorithms.

This might be worth perusing for other options:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_fingerprint
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD