Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Excluding 'the' in sorting artists, jump to artist by key (Read 5992 times) previous topic - next topic

Excluding 'the' in sorting artists, jump to artist by key

Alright, so I'm fairly new to Foobar, as I've been a MediaMonkey user. But I'm trying to switch to completely use Foobar

That said, I'm still confused by all these UIs, Facets, and other various components to Foobar.
So I've been adding my MP3 files to a playlist alongside another playlist for my FLAC files. I understand that adding songs/files directly to a playlist doesn't add them to my Foobar library which is what I want. But how do I get them to auto-sort? Foobar wasn't excluding 'the' in sorting artists, so I have Foo Facets. But whenever I exit Foobar, my playlist doesn't remember to sort like that. In Library - Configure - Facets, I have the box checked off: Ignore leading 'the' when sorting. Why isn't this working 24/7?

Also, is there a way to have Foobar jump to the artist respective to the key I hit? Just like in iTunes or MediaMonkey, when users hit 'f,' the programs jump to the first artist starting with the letter 'f.' Is is possible to do the same in Foobar?

If anyone could help, that would be awesome. I've tried reading the FAQ and other threads, but have no idea what to do...

Reply #1
Also, is there a way to have Foobar jump to the artist respective to the key I hit? Just like in iTunes or MediaMonkey, when users hit 'f,' the programs jump to the first artist starting with the letter 'f.' Is is possible to do the same in Foobar?

The latest version, 1.1.11, has that feature.

I understand that adding songs/files directly to a playlist doesn't add them to my Foobar library which is what I want.

Just making sure; have you set up one or more folders to monitor under Preferences > Media Library?

Reply #2
I updated to 1.1.11 and can't seem to find the option to do the first feature I mentioned

And no, I don't have playlists in Foobar manually checking directories; there's some music that I don't add.
Is that what constitutes an auto-playlist in Foobar?

Reply #3
I was referring to the music folders on your hard drive that you may monitor in the media library preferences; not playlists. Incidentally, yes, an autoplaylist is one that is generated from a query on the library, and thus automatically updates itself when your music files change.

Reply #4
Alright, so I'm fairly new to Foobar, as I've been a MediaMonkey user. But I'm trying to switch to completely use Foobar
... Foobar wasn't excluding 'the' in sorting artists, so I have Foo Facets.  ... In Library - Configure - Facets, I have the box checked off: Ignore leading 'the' when sorting.

Hi.  My first post here.

I'm looking at Foobar from Media Monkey too.  It's all very odd.
I have downloaded Foo Facets to Components and restarted but in Library > Configure > Facets I don't even have a box for "Ignore leading 'the' when sorting."  How do I get one ?
Media Monkey does this auto.

Reply #5
You look closer  Right above the word LIBRARY

Reply #6
Oh the embarrassment ......  Thanks.
Pretty sure I'm going to have some more questions.
I'll try to make them a bit smarter, hahaha.

Reply #7
Sorry, but for some reason, Facets is only sorting one playlist, or my tab 'Library Selection.' It won't sort my other playlists for some reason. Any way to get it to sort all of my playlists?

Reply #8
bump

Do I have to go to Library - Facets to sort my playlist every single time I want to sort it? Because whenever I click on the albums column and go back and click my artist column to sort my view by artists, the sorting changes ('the' isn't ignored). How do I get Foobar to just constantly ignore 'the?' I've got the tick mark checked in my preferences that was discussed earlier in the thread.

And I still can't figure out how to jump to an artist when I hit the respective letter (i.e going to Radiohead when I hit 'r')

Reply #9
1. You need to use the "simplaylist" plugin instead of the normal "playlist view" so you can set a default "sorting pattern" in preferences.  You also need to do this in facets (see #2 below).

2. The checkbox option to ignore leading "the" only changes the sorting within the facet view...not your playlist view. You can change your sort order for the facet selection playlist by setting the 'default sort order' in the "Media Library->Facets" preferences to $swapprefix(%artist%).

2. You should also create a custom column in the 'playlist view' with the pattern set to $swapprefix(%artist%). This puts leading "the's" at the end of an artist name so you can still click on the column headings to sort without "the" getting in the way.

4. If your music is tagged with %album artist% tags, you can do $swapprefix(%album artist%) and it will default to the normal 'artist' tag if no album artist is present.

Finally, the 'jump to a keypress' feature that you're asking about doesn't seem to work that way in the playlist view, and I can't find a way to change it. For me, it jumps to the track title instead of the artist. Maybe someone else can help with this.  I recommend asking about it in the thread for the simplaylist plugin.  As an alternative, I would recommend using the 'ctrl-f' hotkey to search your playlist for the name of an artist. When you single-click on your search results, it will jump to it in the playlist.