Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5 Alpha 1! :o (Read 32853 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5 Alpha 1! :o

Reply #75
So, the official line from Nullsoft is that a desire for quality is an anal reason to use an audio player?!?!?

Keep in mind that THEMike is not a Nullsoft spokesman, he's just a moronic moderator.

So, don't confuse what he says and Nullsoft's official line.

OK, well that would make more sense.  But not only does it say [Moderator] as his member type,  but his registered "from" field is #nullsoft.  That's what made me think he was "official" (even though #nullsoft just represents an IRC channel..."real" Nullsoft folks would belong to that channel as well).

Anyway, a moderator represents a forum in some capacity, even if unofficially, in the sense of people "looking up" to them for guidance and often for what they think is "official" information (even if they're wrong to think this).  It's a matter of perception, I guess.

Edit:  I apologize for drifting the topic with part of my previous post.  But I become perturbed by people who are prejudiced.  It's one of my biggest peeves...

Reply #76
Last time I had an opportunity to communicate with them, most of their devs had similar attitude about unicode.
Other than that, arguing on their irc channel is often the only way to get things done (and I probably know that better than anyone else), and from what I've heard, certain known person got recently kickbanned from there (by THEMike) for trying to discuss unicode. Yay.

[edit]
More BS coming from a Winamp Forums moderator (Will):
mp4 inplies mpeg-4 which AOL isn't paying for (as i, again, said before
Gee, does MP3 imply MPEG-3 and MP2 imply MPEG-2 then ? How can people get that ignorant and argue about things they REALLY have no clue about ?

.. and now they accused Roberto of foobar2000 zealotry. That's something new.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #77
Remarkable level of igonrance

Somebody should tell them that MPEG-4 file format (MP4) has no fees imposed, and they can put their MPEG-2 AAC stream inside that without violating any license... 

And as long they use MPEG-4 AAC LC without PNS (and the encoder they have certainly does not support PNS)  the license is exactly the same as MPEG-2  AAC LC because the stream is the same - i.e. same patents, same algorithm.. same everything

Or they should call Via Licensing to check some things before posting BS and make another surrogate debiliated half-standard like ADTS AAC + ID3v2 ... omg.

Reply #78
.. and now they accused Roberto of foobar2000 zealotry. That's something new.

Indeed.

Reply #79
Or they should call Via Licensing to check some things before posting BS and make another surrogate debiliated half-standard like ADTS AAC + ID3v2 ... omg.

Actually this is even worse.
They don't properly support id3v2 standard either.
They shove data in current ANSI codepage into id3v2 fields and mark them as ISO-8859-1, then read ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 fields as current ANSI codepage.
Thanks to Nullsoft and their efforts, most of id3v2-tagged files out there have fields in someone's local codepage marked as ISO-8859-1, and all other software has to properly read that, so the situation is really similar to Microsoft and IE bastardizing HTML standards - standard says to do X, but everyone does Y because most developers of most popular software decided to do Y instead of X.
They also blatantly ignore any requests to correct that (read up on unicode support issues). Last time I checked, their developers didn't really have a clue what UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 are, so the situation is similar as with MP4 container.

Reply #80
You are wasting your time posting about it on the Winamp Forums.  After reading the thread it is clear that the Winamp Zealotry make it clear nothing will come of that thread.  The developers rarely ever visit the forums at all anyways and probably haven't even seen the thread.  But thread and information has been posted on the Winamp Beta List, but so far there seems to be no real response from any of the developers so far.  Your best bet is to try and contact Nullsoft directly:

Justin Frankel    justin@Winamp.com
Christophe Thibault  christophe@winamp.com
Francis Gastellu  francis@winamp.com
Steve Gedikian  steve@nullsoft.com

To my knowledge those are the forum members actually working on Winamp5.  That's probably the best way to get them to listen to reasoning.  If they will listen is a whole another matter all together.

Reply #81
I'm just not smart enough to figure out super-1337-string-programming yet to get the power flowing....I only use W/A because it's quick and easy (for an idiot like me), and only because I haven't had time recently to really learn fb2k configuration.

ScorLibran, you are a man after my own heart.  If I can't simply select the options I want with a few simple clicks of the mouse, then, forget it.  In the drop-down playlist of foobar2000, the artist's names and titles of the songs do not display completely like they do in Winamp.  On many, if not all, of my albums, the artist's names (if they have featured guests), song titles and album titles are all truncated. I know there is a way to remedy that, but, because I do not know the code, I can't fix it. 

Now, before any one flames me, I would like to add that I am in no way knocking foobar; I am simply stating why it is not for me.  I tried it, and I did like it except for the feature I mentioned.

Later.
"Did you just say he contacts you through a bird? Did I just hear you say that?" Sonny Valerio (Cliff Gorman). Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Reply #82
I'm just not smart enough to figure out super-1337-string-programming yet to get the power flowing....I only use W/A because it's quick and easy (for an idiot like me), and only because I haven't had time recently to really learn fb2k configuration.

ScorLibran, you are a man after my own heart.  If I can't simply select the options I want with a few simple clicks of the mouse, then, forget it.  In the drop-down playlist of foobar2000, the artist's names and titles of the songs do not display completely like they do in Winamp.  On many, if not all, of my albums, the artist's names (if they have featured guests), song titles and album titles are all truncated. I know there is a way to remedy that, but, because I do not know the code, I can't fix it. 

Now, before any one flames me, I would like to add that I am in no way knocking foobar; I am simply stating why it is not for me.  I tried it, and I did like it except for the feature I mentioned.

Later.

Download the ID3v2 plugin??
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #83
Sounds more like he needs old column-less playlist format string.

Reply #84
column-less formatting coming up

Playlist

0$num(%_playlist_number%,$len(%_playlist_total%))$if(%_isplaying%,'|>','. ')[%artist% - ]$if(%title%,['[ #[%disc%/]$num(%tracknumber%,2)] ']%title%,%_filename_ext%)[   %_length%]

Bob Seger - Turn The Page  5:03

I am not into anything fancy (yet).  I usually stick with keeping it simple.

copy and past this into the display -> title formatting -> playlist