Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mobile phones with reportedly great headphone jack SQ (Read 3079 times) previous topic - next topic

Mobile phones with reportedly great headphone jack SQ

I think others will agree that, audiophile hogwash apart, reliable information on which current models really have great SQ (decent volumes, great sound stage, etc.) is pretty scarce, to say the least.

So much so that, all could learn about two specific models I still own (Xiaomi Mi A1 and Moto X) was from hearsay, mostly.

So I was wondering if we could hear from other models' onwners (backed up perhaps, by what's in their specsheets) how great their headphone jack sound quality actually is.

At the very least, I think such reports might help us HA members choose their next phone, who knows?
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Re: Mobile phones with reportedly great headphone jack SQ

Reply #1
The closest I would be able to report was already reported on this forum, the Lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter, which is basically a USB DAC/ADC with a proprietary connection, specifically for iPhones without a headphone jack.

Well, that adapter is one way to ensure consistent headphone experience across devices. I can't say the same about other vendors' adapters for, say, USB-C, since some phones/adapters are designed to pass through a signal directly from the port, instead of acting as a DAC/ADC on the USB interface.

The only other interface, which I actually use more often than the adapter, would be the AirPods, and those aren't easily measured, and quality is measurably lossy, due to the AAC compression, but unlikely to be audibly perceptible to most users.

Reply #3
Almost all Qualcomm devices will use the same integrated DAC/amp, so they'll be very similar aside from software differences like how high the volume goes.  Output is a solid 15-16 effective bits if I remember correctly.  Good enough that you'll be limited by something else. 

Reply #4
Thanks, @kode54  for the clarification.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-audio-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/battle-of-google-pixel-headphone-dongles.4863/

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/measurements-apples-lightning-to-35mm.html

I'll gladly read that as soon as I find the time. Thanks!
União e reconstrução

Reply #5
Almost all Qualcomm devices will use the same integrated DAC/amp, so they'll be very similar aside from software differences like how high the volume goes. 
That I didn't know. Thanks!

Good enough that you'll be limited by something else.
Would you say that "something else" also entails OS updates, as these guys here at this Xiaomi forum seemed to conclude?
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
Would you say that "something else" also entails OS updates,

No, I don't think those are likely to matter unless Qualcomm changes their audio driver.

as these guys here at this Xiaomi forum seemed to conclude?

It sounds to me like they're asking about some kind of DSP effect in the included software.  I don't usually use that sort of thing so I can't comment. 

Reply #7
Check out the reviews at gsmarena.com, they provide measurements of the audio output of the cellphones they test, and they test a lot.

Reply #8
Great stuff. Though I'd stumbled upon them previously, it didn't take much heed of how their tests seem to be carried out in a objective and professionally done manner.

I'm also impressed (but not surprised) with the Xiaomi M1 A1's figures in particular - which perfectly match the SQ I've been getting from this phone, coupled with the Sennheiser HD580 headphones directly connected to it: powerful and detailed sound!

Thanks for directing me to that.

União e reconstrução

Reply #9
It's indeed hard to find a phone which introduces audible defects into audio output.
It either has enough max output power or hasn't.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #10
My Galaxy S9 sounds damn good, I know that much.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.