Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.2.1 released (Read 132363 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.2.1 released

FLAC 1.2.1 is out, the major addition being support for all RIFF/AIFF metadata, including Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) via the new --keep-foreign-metadata option. There are many other small improvements and bug fixes; see the changelog entry for complete details.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #1
Thanks Josh! I hope a Universal Mac version is due out soon

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #2
FLAC becomes better and better - compression rate and speed is growing, additional RIFF/AIFF metadata can be stored. For de'facto standard lossless codec (at least in open source world) it is great.

Good work, Josh, thank you very much.

BTW, it's time to update wiki page of "Lossless comparison" and remove 'unable to support RIFF chunks' from cons.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #4
Is the new option --keep-foreign-metadata recommended for files generated by EAC? I think it is only needed for WAV files with metainformation such as timestamp points etc used by Wavelab and other Sound-Editting apps.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #5
Great work! For my purposes FLAC really is the most complete lossless codec available, thanks jcoalsen.
(a really minor gripe though: could the windows installer please ask me if I would like to have a desktop icon?)

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #7
Thanks for the great work Josh!

However, I am not too sure what SF# 1764105 - "Fixed bug where importing non-CDDA cuesheets would cause an invalid lead-out track number" means. Can someone please tell me what this means in plain English?

Also, is this a serious enough bug to warrant a trancode of all my FLAC images from v1.1.4 to v1.2.1? I am totally confused 

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #8
Read this post. Previously, when embedding a cue sheet in a flac file that was created from non-CD audio, the lead-out track number would be incorrect. Starting with this new version of FLAC, the lead-out track number for non-CD audio will always be 255.
You don't have to transcode anything unless you have such files. In other words, if your FLAC images are CD-DA rips (44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo), you're fine.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #10
I wasn't sure what your URL for downloads of the Mac version was, but just found it in your profile:

http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/

Thanks! Downloaded it...

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #11
just got a report that if you use "flac --replay-gain" but no padding option, the resulting file will have a very small padding block.  I'll upload a new installer soon, or the workaround is to use a -P option with your preferred amount of padding.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #13
Thanks for the new version.

Seems the problems reading WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE headers by STDIN, repported in this post, are solved.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #14
Josh. Is this a fix at source code level or part of the MS Windows installer package only?
Meaning, will we see a new source code tarball?

By the way. I appreciate the work you put into this.
Thanks!

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #15
Josh. Is this a fix at source code level or part of the MS Windows installer package only?
haven't decided on that yet, full releases are quite a pain.  if other urgent bugs pop up I might.  in the meantime you can pick up all urgent fixes to 1.2.1 via the maintenance branch, i.e. check out by branch tag FLAC_RELEASE_1_2_1_MAINTENANCE_BRANCH

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #16
haven't decided on that yet, full releases are quite a pain.  if other urgent bugs pop up I might.  in the meantime you can pick up all urgent fixes to 1.2.1 via the maintenance branch, i.e. check out by branch tag FLAC_RELEASE_1_2_1_MAINTENANCE_BRANCH

Josh, these releases might "be a pain", but having several 1.2.1 versions with different code branches and possible problems should not be allowed. I recommend you make the fixes 1.2.2 and not 1.2.1 branch. People need to rely on a version, and having bugs causes people to be leery to use that version I believe. Just my opinion.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #17
I see..
WIll check out the maintenance branch, and follow closely in case you decide to put out a 1.2.1b tarball.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #18
in the meantime you can pick up all urgent fixes to 1.2.1 via the maintenance branch, i.e. check out by branch tag FLAC_RELEASE_1_2_1_MAINTENANCE_BRANCH

Now padding with replaygaining works well, thank you.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #19
--keep-foreign-metadata seems to be fine:

046335deef981b35f3227f0315cc9bc8 *file.wav
046335deef981b35f3227f0315cc9bc8 *file_decoded.wav

a. should i expect any problems?
b. what exactly is the latest cmd version? (i have extracted one from installer flac-1.2.1b.exe, is that the latest?)

tnx
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #20
a. should i expect any problems?
b. what exactly is the latest cmd version? (i have extracted one from installer flac-1.2.1b.exe, is that the latest?)

a. This release is considered to be stable, so expect no problems
b. Yes, the one from the installer is the latest. By the way, the only difference is a really small fix (use of the --replay-gain option caused no padding).

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #21
egor, tnx, the problems with '--keep-foreign-metadata' is the question?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #22
Thank you, Josh 

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #23
FLAC 1.2.1 is out, the major addition being support for all RIFF/AIFF metadata, including Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) via the new --keep-foreign-metadata option. There are many other small improvements and bug fixes; see the changelog entry for complete details.

Not only thanks for your work on FLAC, this is also a textbook example of a good news post. I would like to see more news submissions like that from other people; brief and to the point.

and remove 'unable to support RIFF chunks' from cons.

Done.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #24
"RIFF/AIFF metadata, including Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) via the new --keep-foreign-metadata"

So can I use FLAC to compress wav files used in multitrack projects in programs like SONAR, Cubase, Pro Tools etc and maintain the time position data and stuff like that? This would be really great