Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.2.1 released (Read 132423 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #25
"RIFF/AIFF metadata, including Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) via the new --keep-foreign-metadata"

So can I use FLAC to compress wav files used in multitrack projects in programs like SONAR, Cubase, Pro Tools etc and maintain the time position data and stuff like that? This would be really great 
should work if they are valid wave files.  wave64 (sound forge) does not work yet though.

--keep-foreign-metadata seems to be fine:

046335deef981b35f3227f0315cc9bc8 *file.wav
046335deef981b35f3227f0315cc9bc8 *file_decoded.wav

a. should i expect any problems?
it has been beta tested but it is also a new feature, that's why the --delete-input-file option has been disabled when --keep-foreign-metadata is used.  it's a good idea to compare like this for a while until you're satisfied it is working for you.

Josh, these releases might "be a pain", but having several 1.2.1 versions with different code branches and possible problems should not be allowed. I recommend you make the fixes 1.2.2 and not 1.2.1 branch. People need to rely on a version, and having bugs causes people to be leery to use that version I believe. Just my opinion.
I would say to treat anything that says flac 1.2.1 as having that bug.  I fixed the windows installer because it's quick and is the most widely used version, so that most of the people who don't know about the bug won't get bit.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #26
The new Winamp plugin doesn't play Ogg FLAC files.
I have tried it with the ogg and the oga extension.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #27
'--keep-foreign-metadata' is really exciting news. This feature opens the door to the world of sample libraries where for example loop points needs to be stored. I won't be surprised to find support for flac in future versions of Native Instruments Kontakt, for example.

This way, musicians may benefit from flac where loading times of huge libraries will decrease significantly!

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #31
uploaded new installer with --replay-gain fix here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac-1.2.1b.exe

Is the zipped download updated as well?
unfortunately no.

my temporary mirror of zipped latest (hopefully) version:
http://somestuff.org/downloads/flac121b/
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #32
Thanks for all your great work Josh. Flac is where it's at!

Running the Windows installer under Parallels on a MacBook, Flac frontend seems to fail to install. Installation wizard gives the error:
"there was an error registering a needed file with the operating system: flac frontend may not run."
and on attempting to run flac frontend, I get the error:
"Component 'MSCOMTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."

I presume this is a problem with Parallels (build 3214), but thought I should report it.

My other question is regarding the universal binaries posted by krmathis: Where should I place these so that mac programs that use flac such as xact or cog, will find them and use the newer version?

Thanks again!

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #33
I know this was mentioned before, but it would be great to have the Nero Flac plugin included in the downloads.    The proper installation is to copy the plugin to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins folder.  It would really be grand if the plugin could be included in the zip download.  It's a pain having to run the installer just for the nero plugin.

Or you could just provide a link to afterdawns neroplugin site:

http://neroplugins.afterdawn.com/

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #34
I know this was mentioned before, but it would be great to have the Nero Flac plugin included in the downloads.    The proper installation is to copy the plugin to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins folder.  It would really be grand if the plugin could be included in the zip download.  It's a pain having to run the installer just for the nero plugin.

To best of my knowledge, the Nero FLAC 3rd party plugin hasn't been updated since FLAC 1.1.0 (August 6, 2003), and I reported a bug in loading or saving mono FLAC 44.1khz 16 bit files, but it was never fixed. I can't trust that 3rd party Nero plugin. Would be nice if the Nero developers would include native FLAC read and write support in Nero...

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #35
My other question is regarding the universal binaries posted by krmathis: Where should I place these so that mac programs that use flac such as xact or cog, will find them and use the newer version?

Let me see...
* xACT are self contained. Just replace the FLAC binary inside the .app and you are all set.
* Cog use the FLAC framework, and not the command line binary.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #36

To best of my knowledge, the Nero FLAC 3rd party plugin hasn't been updated since FLAC 1.1.0 (August 6, 2003), and I reported a bug in loading or saving mono FLAC 44.1khz 16 bit files, but it was never fixed. I can't trust that 3rd party Nero plugin. Would be nice if the Nero developers would include native FLAC read and write support in Nero...

I agree that FLAC should be supported natively by NERO.  I wonder if the bloated Nero 8 does so.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #37
Let me see...
* xACT are self contained. Just replace the FLAC binary inside the .app and you are all set.
* Cog use the FLAC framework, and not the command line binary.

Thanks.

If I understand, this means I have to wait for a future version of Cog that uses the new framework?

What about slimserver, (which is what I most use to listen to flacs)?

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #38
And is there any point in transcoding from flacs encoded in 1.1.3 or 1.1.4? Would I gain much space? I have about 1.3 TB of flacs.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #39
Somebody with the connections/authority/"ability to code" might want to get on the ffmpeg guys' cases. At least with ffmpeg 0.4.9_p20070616-r1 from Gentoo Portage, playing of 1.2.1 flacs appears to be broken. (Using ffplay actually segfaults.) Thankfully, xine-lib, audacious, and mpd all use libFLAC, but mplayer uses ffmpeg's flac decoder. And it was me just going to preview a 1.2.1 encoded flac with mplayer that I noticed the problem.
"It's the panties fault! The panties made me a pervert!"

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #40
Thanks.

If I understand, this means I have to wait for a future version of Cog that uses the new framework?
Yes. Either that or compiling the FLAC framework yourself, for use in Cog

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #41
Thanks Josh,

Another mingw32 compile note: make fails due to this conditional at the top of \include\share\alloc.h, which prevents stdint.h from being #included, leaving SIZE_MAX undefined. 

Code: [Select]
#if !defined _MSC_VER &&!defined __MINGW32__ && !defined __EMX__
#include <stdint.h> /* for SIZE_MAX in case limits.h didn't get it */
#endif

-Bahman

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #42
IMPORTANT NOTE:

some people have had problems with 24bit files encoded with flac-1.2.1.  what is happening is that the encoder is taking advantage of 1.2.x features to encode the 24bit file more efficiently. this was not supposed to be released yet to give s/w more time to update to a 1.2.x decoder, but was picked up by a CVS merge that was too broad.  specifically, the files are using RICE2 partitions.  1.2.x decoders handle this fine so you can get back the original using a 1.2.x decoder if this is causing a problem.

the change to the decoder needed to support RICE2 partitions is pretty trivial; I will try and get in touch with ffmpeg about it.

Josh

Or you could just provide a link to afterdawns neroplugin site:

http://neroplugins.afterdawn.com/
I'm a little bit hesitant to include a shaky plugin but  now that you've described the procedure it's at least possible for me to do it! thanks.

And is there any point in transcoding from flacs encoded in 1.1.3 or 1.1.4? Would I gain much space? I have about 1.3 TB of flacs.
there was a compression improvement in 1.1.4, otherwise, no.  see the FLAC changelog

Another mingw32 compile note: make fails due to this conditional at the top of \include\share\alloc.h, which prevents stdint.h from being #included, leaving SIZE_MAX undefined. 

Code: [Select]
#if !defined _MSC_VER &&!defined __MINGW32__ && !defined __EMX__
#include <stdint.h> /* for SIZE_MAX in case limits.h didn't get it */
#endif
thanks, fixed in CVS.

Somebody with the connections/authority/"ability to code" might want to get on the ffmpeg guys' cases. At least with ffmpeg 0.4.9_p20070616-r1 from Gentoo Portage, playing of 1.2.1 flacs appears to be broken. (Using ffplay actually segfaults.) Thankfully, xine-lib, audacious, and mpd all use libFLAC, but mplayer uses ffmpeg's flac decoder. And it was me just going to preview a 1.2.1 encoded flac with mplayer that I noticed the problem.
is this happening on a 24bps stream?  that's the only thing I can think of.  if so, read the previous important note.  if not, can you host or upload a small flac file that causes a crash?

Josh

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #43
FLAC becomes better and better - compression rate and speed is growing, additional RIFF/AIFF metadata can be stored. For de'facto standard lossless codec (at least in open source world) it is great.

Good work, Josh, thank you very much.

BTW, it's time to update wiki page of "Lossless comparison" and remove 'unable to support RIFF chunks' from cons.

Whoa are you serious there? Should I re-encode all of my CDS with the new version then? I just finished encoding all of my CDs with the last version of FLAC!

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #44
is this happening on a 24bps stream?  that's the only thing I can think of.  if so, read the previous important note.  if not, can you host or upload a small flac file that causes a crash?

Josh

Hmm, well, I did a quick test, and it appears that ffmpeg chokes on my flacs that have the album art in the tags. (Added using "metaflac --import-picture-from=cover.jpg") Removing the album art and resulting padding block fixes the problem.
"It's the panties fault! The panties made me a pervert!"

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #45
BTW, it's time to update wiki page of "Lossless comparison" and remove 'unable to support RIFF chunks' from cons.
Whoa are you serious there? Should I re-encode all of my CDS with the new version then? I just finished encoding all of my CDs with the last version of FLAC!
not necessary, ripped WAVs are not affected.

Hmm, well, I did a quick test, and it appears that ffmpeg chokes on my flacs that have the album art in the tags. (Added using "metaflac --import-picture-from=cover.jpg") Removing the album art and resulting padding block fixes the problem.
I checked out the ffmpeg source, it looks like they use a 64k buffer to try and read in all the metadata and the first FLAC frame.  so if you've got a big jpeg in there that method will fail.  that should be fixed.

I did manage to make a 3 line patch though to fix the 1.2.x stuff which I'll be submitting shortly.

Josh

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #46
In the Partitioned Rice 2 documentation, I've noticed the "Encoding Parameter" section reads "0000-11110 : Rice parameter." when it should probably read "00000-11110 : Rice parameter." in order to cover the full five bits.  I'm sure that's just a cut & paste typo, but I thought I'd mention it just the same.

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #47
@jcoalson:
Is the Rice2 coding method only in use for 24 bit files?

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #48
Is the Rice2 coding method only in use for 24 bit files?
currently it's only enabled if the input is more than 16bps, and 24bps is the only resolution >16 that the command-line encoder supports right now, so yes.  it will probably stay that way since it's extremely unlikely to be utilized in 16bps audio anyway.

Josh

FLAC 1.2.1 released

Reply #49
Has 1.2.1's 24-bit problem been fixed yet?  Foobar2k won't play 24-bit flac files I made with 1.2.1 downloaded from flac.sourceforge.net last week...