Skip to main content

Topic: Crash when playing playlist with only missing files (Read 383 times) previous topic - next topic

• Xerus
  • [*]
Crash when playing playlist with only missing files
When I add some songs to a playlist, delete all the files which are used in that playlist and then try to play the playlist with Shuffle or Repeat enabled, foobar crashes because it tries to play the missing files over and over until windows reacts to the deadlock and declares it as "Not responding".

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Re: Crash when playing playlist with only missing files
Reply #1
How old is your foobar2000? Version 1.0.1 introduced a feature that plays a second of silence in place of missing files to prevent bad components from locking up the player.

• Xerus
  • [*]
Reply #2
apparently that feature is not working :/

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #3
It is working. Note that DSP components such as Skip Silence and Gap Killer can eliminate the silence and make track changing fast again. Though I didn't lose responsiveness in foobar2000 even with those DSPs enabled.

You could examine your setup and find out what makes foobar unresponsive with the looping playlist of missing files. I'd be curious to know. Or you could install Stop on Error component that prevents looping by stopping playback when a missing track is reached.

• Xerus
  • [*]
Reply #4
Okay it's Skip Silence. But since it's available with the installation I think this should be fixed, and it shouldn't be a that hard.
What about adding an option to auto-remove elements from a playlist which have been tried to play but are not available? (replacing that annoying error dialogue)

• mzso
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Or you could install Stop on Error component that prevents looping by stopping playback when a missing track is reached.
That's a good workaround. Although It can't actually keep to it's settings, there are far more file open failures before it can successfully stop playback.