Skip to main content

Topic: Synchronisation to external hard drive only songs with certain TAG (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

• reselty
  • [*][*]
Synchronisation to external hard drive only songs with certain TAG
I would store on my viliv with limited space only my best songs and sync them from time to time.
Found until now no possibility to do that with any sync/backup tool.

Over the years I tried again and again to find a way to solve this.
So i'll try it here if someone has enough fantasy how to solve such an idea...

Easiest is to just sync them they have min +++ (3 Stars) in such an own built Tag field.
I could also build an 0/I Tag field.
But how to find a way to just sync them.
My library is not flat > tree.

Thanks for any idea!

• jazzthieve
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Synchronisation to external hard drive only songs with certain TAG
Reply #1
The way I would approach this would be to use MP3Tag. Select the tag to filename button which converts tag values to file/folder names according to a format string.
The format string allows conditional formatting, this would allow you to channel 3 rated songs and higher to a certain location and the the lower rated ones to a different location.
Something like:
Code: [Select]
$ifgreater(%rating%,2,C:\folder1\%filename%,C:\folder3\%filename%)

Next set your sync backup tool to  only sync the folder with the higher rated tracks/folders.
How detailed or deep you want your filename/folders to become depends on how you construct your format string.
This would require knowledge of titleformatting syntax to construct the format string.

These should be helpful:
http://help.mp3tag.de/options_format.html
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_scripting.html

• reselty
  • [*][*]
Reply #2
Thanks a lot Jazzthieve !!!

Checked today cause I was wondering that no notification dripped in by mail.
So sorry for that late statement...

I also thought during this week about MP3Tag to change all file-names of pointed files with a certain suffix to give the backup tool (f.e. freefilesync) a possibility to filter.

I will check your proposal
( but would be happy to keep the structure, cause I started building my library burning CD's in corresponding folders )
and suggested links to ( which surely will help doing my planed job to)  !

The only mad thing is, when I will do it a next time, I have to just rename such without the suffix, otherwise I create filename_suffix_suffix files. How to build this routine, to just rename new ones?

So, thanks again !

• reselty
  • [*][*]
Reply #3
Would be nice and easier finding a sync- / backup- tool which allows filtering Tags....

• fbuser
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #4
Would be nice and easier finding a sync- / backup- tool which allows filtering Tags....
You could let foobar2000 doing the filtering:
1. Create an empty folder on the hardrive, on which your files are stored
2. Search all relevant tracks with "Edit -> Search" or create a playlist with all the tracks for later reference
3. Select all tracks and choose "File operations -> Link to -> ..." from the context menu
4. Fill the fields in the dialog appropriately and save the preset for later use
5. Sync the folder you created in step 1

It's not as convenient as just starting the sync tool, but it's still not much work to get what you want.

• reselty
  • [*][*]
Reply #5
WWWAAAUUU !
Perfect Idea !!!!

Also when I try to do it in feature, doesn't matter if I select such with already done hardlinks, cause it doesn't overwrite them!!!
Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and let me know !!!

This way isn't not convenient!

The only not so convenient thing is that I have to sync via external HDD, cause direct connection viliv/PC still doesn't work under Windows7 on host and as a I've read that hardlinks don't work on different partitions/HDDs.
As long as this doesnt work I have to initialize external HDD in Foobar and hide the internal files as long as I filter to build the hardlinks on the external drive...

• reselty
  • [*][*]
Reply #6
Now I did it - I can connect directly.

One important thing to let others think about.
Some backup-tools can create duplicates > some can be configurable how to handle file behind hardlinks.

Other solution: Building folder with hardlinks outside of backup routine on same partition !