Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can MP3Tag get tags from parent folders? Does TagScanner skip files? (Read 7110 times) previous topic - next topic

Can MP3Tag get tags from parent folders? Does TagScanner skip files?

I've been dabbling in MP3s for many years now, and back in the day I used a clunky old MP3 tagger which I paid for, which turned out not to work in Win7: MP3/Tag Studio.

Well, I looked at alternatives, like MP3Tag and TagScanner, and settled on the latter, because it looks better and is faster than MP3Tag is.

My concern about MP3Tag is whether it can handle scripts like this, that I made up in TagScanner:

Code: [Select]
%artist%\%skip%\%album% %title%

This means, if I have MP3 files inside two nested folders, then the tags will be set by both the filename of the MP3 and the outer folder that it's in, skipping the inner folder. Can MP3Tag do that?

I also recently entertained the idea of renaming MP3 filenames using an MS-DOS batch file (yes, they still run in Windows!) and then going over the relevant changed areas with TagScanner to modify the tags inside. I tested this this morning, and it seems to have been a great success.

One question, though: As my MP3 collection is on a MicroSD card in my MP3 player, I thought I'd see how long TagScanner would take to change the tags on all 2000 files - it took 3-4 minutes, much faster than I expected for Flash memory. Does this mean that if TagScanner doesn't see any changes to the filename compared to the tags in the file according to the above script, then it will ignore it?

I'm new here, and this thread may be rather technical, but can anyone here help me?

Reply #1
Same Here, I want to repeat this question again. Please help me also

Reply #2
May I suggest you ask directly within the active forum at the developers website?

Reply #3
Is this a tag-> filename or filename -> tag?

You talk about tags being set and then go onto talking about renaming MP3s so which one is it?

The docs are here http://help.mp3tag.de/

Reply #4
You talk about tags being set and then go onto talking about renaming MP3s so which one is it?
It’s two different questions about two different programs awkwardly sandwiched together, so your confusion is understandable and demonstrates why people should make separate threads about separate things. Also, descriptive titles… I’ve tried to improve it, but 70 characters isn’t a lot for two distinct questions, again.

Reply #5
I use something something like this with mp3tag to fill id3tags from the folder & file names:
Code: [Select]
[%publisher%] %artist% - %album%\%dummy% - %dummy% - %title%

And the folder structure that this would work on would look like this:
x:\[publisher] Album Artist - Album Title\01 - Artist - Track Title.mp3
The %dummy% placeholders are used to skip parts in the folder structure. In this example the track number and track artist since it would be the same as the album artist. Since this works, presumably going back one or more levels in the folder structure would also, but I haven't tested.