Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: GSF decoder v3.0.8 sounds weird (Read 2183 times) previous topic - next topic

GSF decoder v3.0.8 sounds weird

Hi, dear kode54.
  I've noticed some (not all) minigsf play with GSF decoder v3.0.8 sounds very weird. I don't know how to describe it, so I upload some file, you can hear the difference between normal m4a and weird minigsf
Code: [Select]
32. Tourian
33. VS. Mother Brain

Those minigsf sounds normal on foobar2000 mobile for ios. Maybe mGBA bug?

Re: GSF decoder v3.0.8 sounds weird

Reply #2
I have already been alerted to this. Here is an issue on the mGBA bug tracker, tracking this issue.
Thanks, kode54.
  But my issue seem different from "Possible regression with noise channel volume level #1265".
In my case, some channel is lot louder or sounds abnormal, both 3.0.7 and 3.0.8 have this issue.

Reply #3
Where did your reference come from? Please don't say it was another emulator.

Reply #4
Where did your reference come from? Please don't say it was another emulator.
These two m4a files was converted from minigsf by old version of gsf docoder, but don't remember which version.
one thing I can sure is, m4a sounds same as real GBA.

Reply #5
I tested the samples and they sound same with GSF Decoder 2.0.8, or at least bit similar :)

Reply #6
Hello, kode54.
I have played Metroid - Zero Mission (USA) again on mGBA v0.6.3 and v0.7 beta 1 for win32, both version sounds right, no weird sound, no broken(the cutscene "Mother Brain Sees You" when you first time goto norfair).

Reply #7
I tested the samples and they sound same with GSF Decoder 2.0.8, or at least bit similar :)
Hello arch21, have you listen the minigsf "VS. Mother Brain" on gsf decoder v3.0.7 or v3.0.8
I'v tested minigsf on Highly Advanced 2.0.8 you provided, everything is ok. but if you play the minigsf "VS. Mother Brain" on gsf decoder v3.0.7 or v3.0.8, you will hear some loud weird noise like sound.

Reply #8
Yes, I mean with v2.0.8, it sounds a bit similar with the m4a.. I realized my comment sounded misleading. Sorry. And yeah, some noise with latest release :)

Reply #9
Noise is the only major thing to have changed, and that is being looked into. Please do not compare to other emulators, only mGBA, and only actual hardware. I cannot test these on actual hardware, so recordings would be nice.

Endrift can test on actual hardware, but is probably very busy.

Reply #10
Noise is the only major thing to have changed, and that is being looked into. Please do not compare to other emulators, only mGBA, and only actual hardware. I cannot test these on actual hardware, so recordings would be nice.

Endrift can test on actual hardware, but is probably very busy.
Do you need me to record something from actual GBA? I can do this if I can find my old 3.5mm audio jack for GBA.

Reply #11
No, as I said, the developer has real hardware to test. I just want to make sure it can be replicated on real hardware before we bother about it. Highly Advanced certainly wasn't hardware accurate, and if this is a bug, I'm sure Endrift would like to know.