Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Program to download album covers (Read 280399 times) previous topic - next topic

Program to download album covers

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure exactly where to post.

I made a program to download album covers for your music, as the only other alternative I could find was this web search

It's a huge time saver in my opinion. I think coding the program took less time than searching for the covers to all my albums .

[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%']<UPDATE> FEB.19.2006, version 1.4.6100[/span]
I finally added the ability to do a mass download of album covers. You can access it via the right-click menu of the treeview or using the keyboard command Ctrl+A.
I also realized that I never told anyone that there are keyboard shortcuts. Or at least I don't think I've ever mentioned them, since I didn't even know they were there til I saw the code, hehe.
Ctrl+B = Browse for folders
Ctrl+G = Generate album list
Ctrl+A = Download All album covers
Additional updates are listed on the download page as usual.

This is the first version I released, I enjoyed looking at how much it has progressed.

And if you wanna post bugs feel free, although I'm assuming this is sort of a one-time use program so I doubt there will be too much desire to fix whatever bugs may crop up. [edit] Ha! Boy was I wrong [/edit]

Reply #1
Looks good

Perhaps it should remember the file path, so you don't always need to browse to it when opening the program.

Reply #2
I love this program!

Finally, an album art downloader that works properly with my folder layout!

Thank you for developing this.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #3
Thank you.  This seems pretty useful.  Would it be possible to set variables, like filenaming and path, so I could download cover art like "/path/to/artwork/artist - album.jpg"?

Reply #4
Perhaps it should remember the file path, so you don't always need to browse to it when opening the program.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258245"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Done. New version posted.
I love this program!

Thank you for developing this.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258268"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Glee!

Reply #5
Perhaps it should remember the file path, so you don't always need to browse to it when opening the program.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258245"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Done. New version posted.
I love this program!

Thank you for developing this.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258268"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Glee!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258279"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice program. What I miss in it is ability to manualy configure directory structure  (mine is "Artist/(Year) Artist - Album").

Reply #6
I really like it, but I second the need for variables to exactly determine the path to albums
Another thing I would like to see, is the possibility to change the name of the albumart file, I would like to be able to use "folder.jpg".

Apart from that: great work

Reply #7
Man, if you add configuration for the directory naming patterns this will be godlike

edit: I have mostly %artist% - (%date%) %album% formatted direcories over here  And some %artist%\(%date%) %album% , if I have multiple albums from an artist
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #8
Is there another way for me to make this util work, than downloading the 23698KB .Net Framework? Not that it would take very long (depending on the server), but I'm trying not to install too much "crap" after I did a clean install of WinXP. So, what I'm asking is if it's possible to get a couple of dll's rather than the complete .NET package.

If there is not "workaround" I'll just have to install it, as this util looks promising.

Edit: I have now wasted a total of 5 seconds downloading it.
So, do I have to install?

Reply #9
Edit: I have now wasted a total of 5 seconds downloading it.
So, do I have to install?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258301"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes.

Reply #10
Man, if you add configuration for the directory naming patterns this will be godlike
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258294"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd like to second this

Thanks for releasing this.

Reply #11
I pointed this at my shared music folder (which has over 90 sub-folders in it) and it only found the folder that had wpl files in it.  Is this how it is supposed to work?  How do I get it to find the other folders?

Reply #12
And if you wanna post bugs feel free, although I'm assuming this is sort of a one-time use program so I doubt there will be too much desire to fix whatever bugs may crop up.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258241"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow.  Best album art tool I've used to date. A few thoughts:

1) Are you using Amazon?  If so, consider allowing for searches against multiple sites.  amazon.cu.uk, amazon.de, even .jp.  often the other sites will have art or large-format art that the US site does not have.

2) Consider letting user added other album name format types.  Or specifically add the following: Artist/(Year) Album or Album.

3) Automatically convert underscores to spaces before you search.

4) Allow user to manually alter the auto-query.

5) Autotagging the file?  I know you are considering supporting embedded images (APIC tag) for your foobar plugin.  Would be wonderful to have the images added using this tool.

Btw, only saving the last-clicked image is a GREAT idea.
+Reardon

Reply #13
I have now installed, and it looks very promising, but it seems I have to join in on the customisable patterns request, to be able to use it.

Here's my directory pattern:
Sort Genre\
Artist - Album (or) Artist\Artist - Album (or) Artist\Artist - [date] - Album

1) if I've only got one album by that particular artist
2) if I've got more than one album
3) if I've cared to organise albums in that directory by date.

("Sort genre" is: Punk, Rock, Electronica, Rap and so on...)

Maybe I should consider changing to a more consistent pattern like artist\[date] album, even though it's harder to browse. 

Reply #14
Nice program but could you add support for m4a files? So far it only recognizes mp3.

Also making the directory path user costumizable would be a nice feature.

Reply #15
This will rock as soon as it supports my dir config (Artist - Album).

Also, maybe www.discogs.com would be a good source too as I have a lot of vinyls that they have pics for.

Any way, thanks for the tool.

Tony

Reply #16
my config is (ARTIST - YEAR - ALBUM) so it doesnt work

Reply #17
1) Are you using Amazon?  If so, consider allowing for searches against multiple sites.  amazon.cu.uk, amazon.de, even .jp.  often the other sites will have art or large-format art that the US site does not have.

2) Consider letting user added other album name format types.  Or specifically add the following: Artist/(Year) Album or Album.

3) Automatically convert underscores to spaces before you search.

4) Allow user to manually alter the auto-query.

5) Autotagging the file?  I know you are considering supporting embedded images (APIC tag) for your foobar plugin.  Would be wonderful to have the images added using this tool.

Btw, only saving the last-clicked image is a GREAT idea.
+Reardon
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
1) Yeah, it queries amazon.com. I was thinking of adding localization for amazon.uk, amazon.jp etc, but if you say they have alternate/better covers I could add an option on which to search.

2)Artist/(Year) Album is already an option, see below for more info on new directory structures

3)Done.

4)Will do.

5)Sorry if I confused anyone, I'm not the author of foo_albumlist.dll

Nice program but could you add support for m4a files? So far it only recognizes mp3.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258344"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not sure your exact problem, the program doesn't even look at the files in the directory. They could be empty for all it cares. You might have the wrong Directory Structure selected, or I just might not have an option for your file structure, see below.

Thanks for the compliments and for everyone testing it out

I actually didn't think that people had such a wide variance of file structures for their music. The prog was hacked together really quickly solely to accomodate my music  and get album covers, I had no original intention of actually putting it up for download, and so it's not very flexible in that regard.

So... I'm going to recode it to allow for custom directory structures to be entered. In the meantime, here's the current version with a few small edits:
*edit album image filename
*replace underscore with space
*saves directory on program close
[a href="http://team.thenexusnet.com/nexus/downloads/MyPrograms/AAA/AlbumArtAggregator_latestversion.zip]here[/url]

Reply #18
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258342"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) Yeah, it queries amazon.com. I was thinking of adding localization for amazon.uk, amazon.jp etc, but if you say they have alternate/better covers I could add an option on which to search.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258380"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could also make it automaticly try other sites if one has no covers for given album. I have hacked albumart downloader (the one written in Python) to do it, and find it very comfortable.

Reply #19
It's good to know I always have the latest version!

Reply #20
It would be nice, if the settings could be placed in the "%appdata%\AlbumArtAggregator" folder and not in the folder of the Application.

Regards, Lars

Reply #21
Nice looking tool, here are a couple others I have found and use for my Toaster plugin for winamp:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=257984
/edit:corrected link.

In particular, I like the tools that look in the folder at the files and pull the album name from the ID3 tag. The .NET one of those tools comes with the source, and does this, so perhaps you could look at that? It would be neat if you supported it.

/Edit: The album art tool seems to have been upgraded to a GUI app now, looks pretty nice:

http://str8dog.com/archive/2004/06/23/1232.aspx

Reply #22
hey, pretty cool.  'cept i'm one of the few ppl who use long filenames and no folder structure (just 27 folders for the alphabet).  so, could it be made to look into the tags to get its info?  also, with a lot of indie/alt/etc and not necessarily properly named albums, it would be nice to have it get something close or just anything by the artist to choose from.

i realize you didnt set out to make the be all- end all d/ler for everyone with every crazy structure/problem/anomolies/idiosyncrasy.

one thing that might be usefull to every one is if the folder structure was expanded, so you didnt have to do it every time.

thanks

Reply #23
Very nice app.!
But I use a different dir config... I'm waiting for the version with customisable path . 
BTW, You know that at Walmart the covers are 500*500? (I am insatiable )

Reply #24
Hello, that`s a fine tool. But i got one suggestion: When i press the Get Albums button it will load the Album list only until the first folder with ogg vorbis files in it is reached. I think this is a bug?!? I suppose your tool expects only mp3s in the folders - is that right?

Greets