Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Add "Close to tray" behavior option (Read 6245 times) previous topic - next topic

Add "Close to tray" behavior option

Previous on "close to tray" series:
2006 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44665
2008-2011 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=86892
2012 - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=94142

NB. I'm aware of getting this topic be closed, so I'll try to explain position with arguments, not just "pleeeeiizzz add this option!!11"

Why I don't like "Minimize" button to minimize some apps:
- when foobar is fullscreened, it's much more easier to position on [X] button, not on [_], so I'm waisting time moving pointer around that corner
- I'm used with apps like uTorrent and amaroK, they support Close to tray function on default

Why I'm proposing this option:
- I want foobar to be like "music service" (mocp, mpd on linux), not an application. So closing the "frontend" *MUST NOT* stop the music. Option "Close to tray" is the simplest way to achieve service-like behavior
- one more: foobar is started with system and ended with system down. Music may be paused, but why closing app?
- one more: foobar is low on resources, so it's quite normal to have it started all the time
- I'm proposing an OPTION, not default

Why developers have to add this option:
- there is a bunch of guys, who also like such behavior, and there are cons for it. Why ignore? Make this people happy! This is what makes devs happy - when users are happy.
- standarts. Standarts are good, but two problems:
-- standarts are not constant on time, just on period of time
-- Close on tray behavior is quite standart, when interpreting foobar as "service" and foobar window as "frontend"

Why do I post this. A friend of mine asked me to recommend good player for Windows (he is Linux user). I recommended foobar2000, no doubts. But then he discovered it closes on [X] button: "It's quite like amarok, but how to make it not close on [X]?" - "No ways" - "It's a pity, I'll search myself for alternatives". (he found after some amarok-styled player, which didn't close on close)

That was critical -1 for foobar. I'm not begging on add this functionality, but begging on turning the rational part of mind on - "people need an option, people have arguments, arguments are real - why not adding?".

Peace all!

Reply #1
"close" is close, "minimize" is minimize - it's really that simple!

Reply #2
>>> "close" is close, "minimize" is minimize - it's really that simple!
don't generalize. read more carefully on "service" part of message.

Reply #3
>>> "close" is close, "minimize" is minimize - it's really that simple!
don't generalize. read more carefully on "service" part of message.
foobar2000 isn't a service, and as a matter of fact your generalization that services need to show up in the Notification Area is wrong, not all services show up in there. The purpose of the Notification Area is to show status updates and notifications about running programs, generally not as an alternative taskbar to store minimized applications. To quote the recommendations on MSDN:
The notification area provides notifications and status. Well-designed programs use the notification area appropriately, without being annoying or distracting.

Also take a look at the section titled "Minimized single-instance application", it states that applications may minimize to the Notification Area if certain conditions apply (which foobar2000 already allows), and even that behaviour is strongly discouraged for Win7 and later. MSDN also expressively states:
Use the Minimize button on the application's title bar, not the Close button.

Also, it may be even faster to hit Alt+Space + n (blame MS for not providing a better shortcut) to minimize foobar2000, than hitting the X in the corner.

Personally I loathe all programs who don't close upon hitting the X in the corner, it defies common Windows application rules and the principle of least surprises. It's not at all a standard way. I don't know how adding that feature is beneficial to the usability and user-friendliness of foobar2000, and more options means also more necessary user support due to misconfigurations or misconceptions.

Last but not least, similar discussions (you have linked yourself) have been closed with a WONTFIX answer before, expect the same here, or just straight binning.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
- when foobar is fullscreened, it's much more easier to position on [X] button, not on [_], so I'm waisting time moving pointer around that corner
It's even faster not to minimize foobar2000 at all and directly switch to the desired application
- I'm used with apps like uTorrent and amaroK, they support Close to tray function on default
There are much more applications, which don't support this.

- I want foobar to be like "music service" (mocp, mpd on linux), not an application. So closing the "frontend" *MUST NOT* stop the music. Option "Close to tray" is the simplest way to achieve service-like behavior
No, the simplest solution is not to close foobar2000 at all. If you don't want to close an application, just don't do it.
- one more: foobar is started with system and ended with system down. Music may be paused, but why closing app?
Again, just don't do it.

Why developers have to add this option:
- there is a bunch of guys, who also like such behavior, and there are cons for it. Why ignore? Make this people happy! This is what makes devs happy - when users are happy.
No! Developers don't have to do anything. Espelly not only because to make someone happy.

- standarts. Standarts are good, but two problems:
-- standarts are not constant on time, just on period of time
-- Close on tray behavior is quite standart, when interpreting foobar as "service" and foobar window as "frontend"
No! Standard is to close an application while clicking on the close button.

BTW: It's spelled standard

That was critical -1 for foobar.
Well, everyone has his own priorities and have to live with the consequences of his poor decisions.

"people need an option, people have arguments, arguments are real - why not adding?".
Because someone have to spent his spare time to add an option he doesn't want. If this would be an option (I know Peter wouldn't do this), how much would you pay for it, to have this functionality?

Reply #5
foobar2000 isn't a service,

Not a "service" in Windows terminology, agree. But "service"-like. Once more, mocp, mpd, amaroK are services or service-like, that what I'm talking about.

Also take a look at the section titled "Minimized single-instance application", it states that applications may minimize to the Notification Area if certain conditions apply (which foobar2000 already allows), and even that behaviour is strongly discouraged for Win7 and later. MSDN also expressively states:
Use the Minimize button on the application's title bar, not the Close button.

Also, it may be even faster to hit Alt+Space + n (blame MS for not providing a better shortcut) to minimize foobar2000, than hitting the X in the corner.

I didn't know about this. Really, all I am based on is my experience, not written rules.

Personally I loathe all programs who don't close upon hitting the X in the corner, it defies common Windows application rules and the principle of least surprises. It's not at all a standard way. I don't know how adding that feature is beneficial to the usability and user-friendliness of foobar2000, and more options means also more necessary user support due to misconfigurations or misconceptions.

Personally, I like experimenting to find better experience, even if it defies Windows aplications' rules. uTorrent showed me new behavior, I don't see why it cannot be applied to foobar, except "there are rules not to do that", which is quite arguable.

Last but not least, similar discussions (you have linked yourself) have been closed with a WONTFIX answer before, expect the same here, or just straight binning.

Hope dies last. I waited 3 years for this. I (not only I) really want this feature as an OPTION.

Anyway thanks for answering, now I better understand devs' position.

Reply #6

thanks. I'm not englishman, as you see =)

Because someone have to spent his spare time to add an option he doesn't want. If this would be an option (I know Peter wouldn't do this)

Ok, maybe there is a way to write plug-in for this? That solved the problem too.

how much would you pay for it, to have this functionality?

interesting question. It is not common to pay for apps in our country (I haven't bought any, even Windows), but, donating say 20$ (as two hours of work) would be good.

Reply #7

thanks. I'm not englishman, as you see =)
The same applies to me, but it is a common disease in my country to spell this word (it's the same in German as in English) in the same wrong way as you did. 

Ok, maybe there is a way to write plug-in for this? That solved the problem too.
No, not possible.

Reply #8
Another one bites the dust.