Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 decoder (Read 6053 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 decoder

Hello Peter! I just want to know what kind of MP3 decoder you are using for Foobar.. as i am informed the Frauenhoffer codec used in Winamp has some compyrights on it, or i am wrong? Because if you use an other decoder like frauenhoffer it has a very very good quality, i nerver heard a freeware decoder sounding like that!

Greetings Meischder
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

MP3 decoder

Reply #1
fb2k uses massively modified (fixed bugs / improved safety / modified for 32bit floatingpoint output) mpglib.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

MP3 decoder

Reply #2
Thank you! Mpglib? I heard about it, but this 32 Bit thing sounds to me very impressive. With 24 Bit on a Audigy (I know your point of view of the Audigy    ) it sounds so great.. ahh!
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

MP3 decoder

Reply #3
Quality-wise, how does Foobar compare to MAD? Is Foobar better than MAD (MAD playing in WinAmp as plug-in.)?

David

MP3 decoder

Reply #4
Quality-wise, how does Foobar compare to MAD?

Quality wise I think Foobar2000 is the best sounding audio player!

MP3 decoder

Reply #5
Quality-wise, how does Foobar compare to MAD? Is Foobar better than MAD (MAD playing in WinAmp as plug-in.)?

David

They both are standards compilant MP3 decoders (as is Fraunhofer's), so their output should be sounding equally good on the same hardware.
They just both have their own strength and weaknesses:
fb2k's mpglib produces 32bit output -  MAD uses 24bit internally.
mpglib uses floating point computation - MAD uses integer
fb2k's mpglib doesn't have a cli frontend or any other form of file output (yet) - MAD is used by mpg321, madplay and winLAME

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

MP3 decoder

Reply #6
On a separate note, I can't compile the SDK kit's stuff, can someone provide the exact mpglib.dll file used in Foobar2000, if it's not too much trouble? This would be uber-appreciated.

MP3 decoder

Reply #7
On a separate note, I can't compile the SDK kit's stuff, can someone provide the exact mpglib.dll file used in Foobar2000, if it's not too much trouble? This would be uber-appreciated.

What exactly are you talking about? The mpglib code is statically linked into foo_input_std.dll.

MP3 decoder

Reply #8
I CAN hear a difference between foobar and winamp, but i cannot say if it's better or not.

Some people hear 32bit or 24bit and jump right ahead and say "it's the best sounding player".
Im not sure what difference would it make listening to a few mp3s.. would be interesting to test this on CD Audio..

MP3 decoder

Reply #9
Hi,

It would be very interesting to know which tests (if any) would Foobar2000 fail in this comparison:

http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org/

Also, I remember that earlier versions of MAD had a bug that clipped the last few samples of mp3 files when there was no ID3v1 tag present in them.

Is Foobar2000 free from this bug? Does Foobar2000 decode all frames correctly even when there's no tag at the end of the file?

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

MP3 decoder

Reply #10

What exactly are you talking about? The mpglib code is statically linked into foo_input_std.dll.

I mean, is there a way to get the mpglib.dll either from someone who knows how to get it, or from Peter, from the foo_input_std.dll, I hope I am wording this right, sorry if not.

MP3 decoder

Reply #11
It does not use a separate DLL file. I suppose with some skill, one could assemble a project to build just mpglib as a DLL, with an import LIB for other projects to use and link against mpglib.dll, but what would be the point of building it as a dynamic library?

MP3 decoder

Reply #12
As to use the dll in other mp3 players as well.

MP3 decoder

Reply #13
the mpglib.dll available from the internet wouldn't be the same as the one used in Foobar2000, so that's why i wanted the one Foobar2000 uses. 

Peter, do you think you could hook it up or lead me in the direction of how to do it?

MP3 decoder

Reply #14
I CAN hear a difference between foobar and winamp, but i cannot say if it's better or not.

I think it is due to the colouring distortion that fb's hard limiter produces. Disable it, and it should sound exactly as Winamp.

MP3 decoder

Reply #15

I think it is due to the colouring distortion that fb's hard limiter produces. Disable it, and it should sound exactly as Winamp.

Even with all the gain stuff off, although you might not hear a difference, but they do use two unique mp3 decoders. (they being w-amp and Foobar2000). that's why i've been asking if it's possible to get my hands on that version of mpglib