Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_truepeak True Peak Scanner (Read 4912 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Resampling Hi-Res...

Re: foo_truepeak True Peak Scanner

Reply #75
Would it be possible to make the component scan and produce a tag file for Bluray files? I know that those m2ts files are untaggable but it has been made possible with SACD-iso files by producing xml files that contain tags and are stored in the same folder as corresponding audio file.

Reply #76
Would it be possible to make the component scan and produce a tag file for Bluray files? I know that those m2ts files are untaggable but it has been made possible with SACD-iso files by producing xml files that contain tags and are stored in the same folder as corresponding audio file.

foo_external_tags also by Case?

Reply #77

foo_external_tags also by Case?

Thank you for suggesting external tag, it works great.

Reply #78
Sorry for copy-paste of my post from DR Meter topic but it is related.

@Case, would it be possible to add all features of DR Meter (per-channel DR, RMS and peak) to True Peak Scanner? The output log placed in the folder with actual audio files (as in old component) would also be very much appreciated (I would love to see every measurement in it, including LRA, Clippings and Peakstamps).

How does this plugin behave with files containing several streams (like bluray m2ts with more than one version of the album - ex. stereo, instrumental, DTS, AC3, THD...)? Will it measure the first stream (or which one?) or is it possible to measure all streams (changing the stream with stream-selector and measure them all one by one and getting different results not owerwriting the previous ones)? And if it is possible, how to write such tags with your external tags? In case of SACD-iso we can write an xml containing two sets of tags/measurement (one for stereo and one for 5.1) (I know that those are different, not two streams but separate sets of "audio files").

I have noticed that your component measures slightly different than buil-it RG scanner concerning True Peaks and Gain.  I know that True Peaks are just (gu)esstimation of what would happen in the DAC but tried to manipulate the options in both components and never got exact the same measurements. My RG sacnner always was an 8xupsampling but I tried it with other options (SOX, SRC, 4x..) and yours with 190k and 384k. The results were always slightly different (rarely the differences were quite big, on some mp3 and the differences go both ways - sometimes yours shows less and sometimes more). Why is it so and is there a way to make them as similar as possible?

Reply #79
Sorry for copy-paste of my post from DR Meter topic but it is related.

@Case, would it be possible to add all features of DR Meter (per-channel DR, RMS and peak) to True Peak Scanner? The output log placed in the folder with actual audio files (as in old component) would also be very much appreciated (I would love to see every measurement in it, including LRA, Clippings and Peakstamps).

How does this plugin behave with files containing several streams (like bluray m2ts with more than one version of the album - ex. stereo, instrumental, DTS, AC3, THD...)? Will it measure the first stream (or which one?) or is it possible to measure all streams (changing the stream with stream-selector and measure them all one by one and getting different results not owerwriting the previous ones)? And if it is possible, how to write such tags with your external tags? In case of SACD-iso we can write an xml containing two sets of tags/measurement (one for stereo and one for 5.1) (I know that those are different, not two streams but separate sets of "audio files").

I have noticed that your component measures slightly different than buil-it RG scanner concerning True Peaks and Gain.  I know that True Peaks are just (gu)esstimation of what would happen in the DAC but tried to manipulate the options in both components and never got exact the same measurements. My RG sacnner always was an 8xupsampling but I tried it with other options (SOX, SRC, 4x..) and yours with 190k and 384k. The results were always slightly different (rarely the differences were quite big, on some mp3 and the differences go both ways - sometimes yours shows less and sometimes more). Why is it so and is there a way to make them as similar as possible?

Of course results are different. With RG you can only use a fixed truepeak method. In other words it does not base the amount of upsampling on the content.
The truepeakscanner upsamples based on the content (up to a minimum of 192k if I remember correctly).
So the used upsampling methods differ, therefore also the results.

I don't exactly understand why this tool should give the exact information as the original DR component which is ancient.
Why not use the exact info from the scan resultscreen? Everything including LRA is there.

Only thing that could be better is to remove all Album stuff from the tracklines and show this info (preferably on top) as a separate line.
And it would be nice if tracknumbers&length would be included in the grid (eg total tracks/ total time for the album line).

Reply #80

Of course results are different. With RG you can only use a fixed truepeak method. In other words it does not base the amount of upsampling on the content.
The truepeakscanner upsamples based on the content (up to a minimum of 192k if I remember correctly).
So the used upsampling methods differ, therefore also the results.

I don't exactly understand why this tool should give the exact information as the original DR component which is ancient.
Why not use the exact info from the scan resultscreen? Everything including LRA is there.

Only thing that could be better is to remove all Album stuff from the tracklines and show this info (preferably on top) as a separate line.
And it would be nice if tracknumbers&length would be included in the grid (eg total tracks/ total time for the album line).

I am not sure if upsampling is the only difference, because taking 48kHz file and scanning it with RG with 8x (giving 384k) and scanning it with TP scanner set to 384k gives different Gain and TPeaks (which then give different PLR and LUFS). The only issue with it is that I already have scanned tens of thousands files with RG and started to scan other files with TP scanner and use "prevent clipping" option (without applying gain) so the effect will be different. Moreover I have different releases  of the same albums and check if they are sonically the same (comparing TP, DR, LRA, LUFS, PLR) so having different results on different releases makes it impossible. I have to rescan all the files once again.

I did not say that the text results should look exactly the same as in old comonent. I just suggested that it would be convinient to be able to automatically export the results to the file (not having to clik "copy" than creating plain file and pasting the results - the old component just had an option to do this (or don't)). and if we get that option it would be nice to have everything included.

Reply #81
I am not sure if upsampling is the only difference, because taking 48kHz file and scanning it with RG with 8x (giving 384k) and scanning it with TP scanner set to 384k gives different Gain and TPeaks (which then give different PLR and LUFS).
I did not tinker with TP minimum scanning sample rate so 48kHz sources are upsampled to 192k when scanning. (And 44kHz to a bit higher I guess).

The only issue with it is that I already have scanned tens of thousands files with RG and started to scan other files with TP scanner and use "prevent clipping" option (without applying gain) so the effect will be different. Moreover I have different releases  of the same albums and check if they are sonically the same (comparing TP, DR, LRA, LUFS, PLR) so having different results on different releases makes it impossible. I have to rescan all the files once again.
Same here. So when I want to compare specific releases of the same album I just rescan those fully to get apples and apples. Scanning is rather quick. Then I listen to them with DSP Retain playtime enabled to switch seamlessly.

If you want to compare different albums/artists it really does not matter that much imo with what version those albums were scanned since scanning results don't differ that much.

I did not say that the text results should look exactly the same as in old comonent. I just suggested that it would be convinient to be able to automatically export the results to the file (not having to clik "copy" than creating plain file and pasting the results - the old component just had an option to do this (or don't)). and if we get that option it would be nice to have everything included.
I do agree and already thought about the dr_log file earlier. Then again I'm not a fan of overloading a developer with nice to have (or even silly) requests before the tool itself is bugfree, which is happening unfortunately with some other promising components.

That said, yes, I agree there needs to be a convenient export function whether it is a plain textfile like it used to be with DR or an automatic screendump (png/jpg) of the result screen which is also a custom in (bootleg) releasegroups. I prefer the latter.

Reply #82
That said, yes, I agree there needs to be a convenient export function whether it is a plain textfile like it used to be with DR or an automatic screendump (png/jpg) of the result screen which is also a custom in (bootleg) releasegroups. I prefer the latter.
Why would you prefer a screendump over text?
My preference is a CSV for those of us who like spreadsheets :D

Reply #83
Why would you prefer a screendump over text?
My preference is a CSV for those of us who like spreadsheets :D
I don't give a damn about logfiles or screendumps as long as I can check (my) rips are accurate.
Would be nice if download content is already properly tagged with relevant info like catalognumber and including this stuff :-)

Reply #84
@Case

There is something off when scanning containers.

For reference: Truepeak scans 30x 96/24 files with a speed of 664x. Foobar RGx8 does 255x.

SACD-ISO with 2&6ch content: Truepeak Scanner extremely slow (speed 46x) and the Abort button does not work until you reach the end of the scan.
Foobar's built-in RGx8 scan is also similarly very slow (speed 42x) but it does respond to it's Cancel button.

DVDA-ISO with MLP 96/24 2&6ch content: Truepeak Scanner is slow (speed 371x). Abort button only works at end of the scan. Foobar RGx8 Scanner is slow (speed 579x) but Cancel works.

MKV with DTS-HD 48/24 content: Truepeak Scanner is slow (speed 333x). Abort button does work. Foobar RGx8 is slow (speed 214x) and Cancel works.

Any ideas?

Reply #85
So far I have determined the DR range values ​​with Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1. To do this, I previously used the Replay Gain Scanner with the setting from Picture1. Everything with version 1.6.17. The result was the replay scan data also Picture2. The entry in the tags was as seen in Picture3.

Then I installed the True Peak Scanner in f2k-version 1.6.17 and ran it over the same album. The old replay gain values ​​were previously removed. The result can be seen in Picture4.

It should be noted that neither the track peak value nor the album peak value match the previous determination.

I'm not an expert here. Maybe someone can explain to me whether this is normal and whether it is due to a different calculation of the values. The differences don't seem to be that big.

With a few exceptions, the DR values ​​correspond to the values ​​from the Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1.

My settings in the True Peak Scanner can be seen in Picture5.

Sorry for my Google Translate, but I don't speak English.

THX
mexx

Reply #86
@Case, would it be possible to add all features of DR Meter (per-channel DR, RMS and peak) to True Peak Scanner?
Not planned. I added that extra info to DR Meter as I thought people using DR Meter liked seeing that stuff, also it might be helpful during development to catch bugs (as DR result is not calculated how its documentation says at all). In a multipurpose scanner like this component the output has to concentrate only on actually useful values.

How does this plugin behave with files containing several streams (like bluray m2ts with more than one version of the album - ex. stereo, instrumental, DTS, AC3, THD...)?
It will measure the stream you have chosen. I have never seen any details about this stream variant selection in the SDK, I don't know if input components that do the tagging even have a chance to do things differently depending on the stream. Tools that just ask a tag to be written definitely don't know anything about such deftails nor have any option to do things differently.

I have noticed that your component measures slightly different than buil-it RG scanner concerning True Peaks and Gain.  [...] Why is it so and is there a way to make them as similar as possible?
Different upsampling. If you let built-in RG scanner select resampler on its own it will ask for a fast resampler, not highest quality one. You will get exact same results if you configure the built-in resampler to resample the same way, but there is not a simple built-in switch for that. True Peak Scanner uses SoX if it's installed and it will be used in highest quality mode. I have written how the upsampling is determined in detail here and about SoX speed related updates here.

Reply #87

[...]Abort button only works at end of the scan. Foobar [...] Cancel works.

Any ideas?
I don't know why speed differences are so big but abort button not working is a result of input not handling it and my component not having safety checks against it. I'll add once I'm home.

Reply #88

[...]Abort button only works at end of the scan. Foobar [...] Cancel works.

Any ideas?
I don't know why speed differences are so big but abort button not working is a result of input not handling it and my component not having safety checks against it. I'll add once I'm home.

When I saw the speeds of the SACD scanning I suspected that the RG and TP scan only use a single thread for scanning.
DVDA and MKV scanning however is only half as slow as normal tracks so that cannot be related to single thread scanning I guess.