Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_input_sacd with DAC Pioneer U-05 (Read 3636 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_input_sacd with DAC Pioneer U-05

Hi guys,

I just received my Pioneer U-05 and I think I have the some problems to read ISO sacd with foobar2000.
 -> This DAC support PCM 24/192 and DSD64/128
I'll try to explain but I'm french : sorry if i use wrong word/vocabulary !

The manufacturer drivers for my DAC has been installed without problem on my computer (Win 7).
I have foobar2000 version 1.3.9 installed.
Following plugins also installed and available in foobar :
 - foo_input_sacd + ASIOProxy (v0.8.4)
 - foo_out_asio (v2.1.2)

Test #1 foobar configuration :
  • "Playback > Output" I select manufacturer drivers : "ASIO : Pioneer USB D/A Converter ASIO"
  • "Tools > SACD" In "Output mode" section I select "DSD"
-> foobar accept to play the song but there i can't hear no sound and the screen of the DAC don't show the kind of stream (PCM/DSD) nor the frequency (44.1...).
-> If I try to play a simple FLAC file it's working fine, I can hear sound and DAC's screen show stream infos (for example : PCM 44.1)

Test #2 foobar configuration :
  • "Playback > Output" I select manufacturer drivers : "ASIO : Pioneer USB D/A Converter ASIO"
  • "Tools > SACD" In "Output mode" section I select "PCM"
-> foobar play the song and i can hear the sound. The screen of the DAC show stream infos (PCM...).

Test #3 foobar configuration :
  • "Playback > Output" I select manufacturer drivers : "ASIO : foo_dsd_asio"
  • "Tools > SACD" In "Output mode" section I select "DSD"
-> foobar play the song and i can hear the sound but with some noise (something like breath)

What's wrong in my situation ?
I thought my DAC was DSD native so I could use the manufacturer driver as the output device : am I wrong ?
If i set "foo_dsd_asio" as output device : it seems that the sound isn't streamed directly to the DAC but is passed through the ASIOProxy app
 > is there any kind of convertion done by this software ? why can  I hear noise/breath ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm a newbie with foobar so I feel like I'm lost !

Re: foo_input_sacd with DAC Pioneer U-05

Reply #1
You need foobar2000's output to be foo_dsd_asio like setup #3, you also need to set up foo_dsd_asio to output to your DAC.  To setup foo_dsd_asio: goto foobar2000 options, on the left side open the Playback/Output/ASIO then double click on foo_dsd_asio.  There you need to select the ASIO driver for your DAC and configure the rest of it as your DAC manufacturer recommends.

Reply #2
Yes I may have forgot to mention that but this is my actual configuration.
Double clic on foo_dsd_asio and my device (Pioneer) is select with mode set to Native DSD.
Other options I don't know how to define them.

I've open a ticket to Pioneer customer center but they don't know and it's not specified on they tech spec/documention.

You need foobar2000's output to be foo_dsd_asio like setup #3, you also need to set up foo_dsd_asio to output to your DAC.  To setup foo_dsd_asio: goto foobar2000 options, on the left side open the Playback/Output/ASIO then double click on foo_dsd_asio.  There you need to select the ASIO driver for your DAC and configure the rest of it as your DAC manufacturer recommends.

Reply #3
I did a quick perusal of the manual online and it mentions DoP so I'd at least try that in foo_dsd_asio options panel (probably with the 0x05/0xfa markers.)
There's often confusion about what native DSD might mean - is it that the device takes a pure sequence of DSD bits as opposed to DoP, or is it that the device converts DSD directly to analog rather than converting it to PCM first (which is further muddled by the fact that most DAC chips these days do a multibit sigma delta output which isn't really PCM nor DSD.)

Reply #4
hello,

I have the same problem with Hal777.
It seems tha I can't make my dac play dsd.

Have you found a solution???

thanks very much!!