Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Reading pattern for mp3 files (Read 919 times) previous topic - next topic

Reading pattern for mp3 files

Hello everyone :)

I am currently writing a filesystem layer for dropbox, with one goal being that I can stream music from there instead of having to sync all of it to my ssd.

In this context, I was wondering, why foobar's very first read of an mp3 file (i.e. when adding it to the playlist) is at the end of the file - even though it can be expected to contain ID3v2 metadata (at the beginning of the file) ?

Thanks in advance for all insight on this matter ;)

Re: Reading pattern for mp3 files

Reply #1
ID3v1 and APE tags are located at the end of the file.

Re: Reading pattern for mp3 files

Reply #2
True! But reading them seems rather unnecessary when ID3v2 tags are present .. or is it?

If they are read anyway, then I don't understand why one should use the 'optimize file layout' function.