Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Media Audio 10 Professional Encoder? (Read 43927 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Media Audio 10 Professional Encoder?

Reply #25
You misunderstood these options. The VBR encoding introduced with  Windows Media Player 9 has only been available for Windows Media Audio  till this day. Encoding using the Professional codec hadn't been  offered in Windows Media Player until Microsoft released the beta of  version 11. Read above:

FYI: WMP  10 supplies WMA 9.1 and WMP 11 beta (currently) supplies WMA 9.2. WMP  11 does add ripping to WMA Pro, though.

The support it adds doesn't reach beyond CBR. For VBR, there's nothing except WMA 9.2 Std available.

Reply #26
The support it adds doesn't reach beyond CBR. For VBR, there's nothing except WMA 9.2 Std available.

Since WMA Pro is there in the list, why do you keep insisting this?

I've poked a couple of people who should know, and their unanamous answer is "of course WMA pro does vbr, it's right there in WMP".

Since I have been using it for a year on my vanilla (no new builds, public releases only) box at home, I dare say, and I'll say it again, I have to agree.

Go into your advanced coding settings in the ripping options. Read. Carefully.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #27

In the words of a wise friend, "Orly?"

Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #28

I've poked a couple of people who should know, and their unanamous answer is "of course WMA pro does vbr, it's right there in WMP".

Since I have been using it for a year on my vanilla (no new builds, public releases only) box at home, I dare say, and I'll say it again, I have to agree.

For CD Audio, WMA Pro only does CBR.  It only does VBR with 24bit or multichannel audio.

Reply #29
For CD Audio, WMA Pro only does CBR.  It only does VBR with 24bit or multichannel audio.

Once again that's wrong. I've been using it for a year on my plain-vanilla machine at home.

'nuff said?
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #30
The easiest way to encode WMA10 Professional is to download and install WMP11beta2. Then download dBpoweramp and the power pack that allows 2 pass wma10 encoding, both VBR and CBR.

It's the most powerful WMA 10 encoder i've come across.

Reply #31

Once again that's wrong. I've been using it for a year on my plain-vanilla machine at home.

My bad, it works with CD Audio for 2-pass VBR (ABR), but not quality-based VBR.

Reply #32
The easiest way to encode WMA10 Professional is to download and install WMP11beta2. Then download dBpoweramp and the power pack that allows 2 pass wma10 encoding, both VBR and CBR.

Yes, that's right. Thank you for shedding some light onto how this works
I'm getting exactly what I want:

Reply #33

I kept insisting this because you claimed you were using WMA Pro in WMP since version 9, although the codec's support hadn't been added prior to the release of WMP 11, as myself and grommet wrote before. Sounds a little illogical to me.

'nuff said?

Not really. You keep telling us this despite the fact that it has never worked with WMP. Even that screenshot posted above doesn't seem to convince you. The settings shown there result in a 1-pass CBR file. And it's the only available WMA Pro option in WMP. At least in the ones we're using on Windows XP. Might you be talking about Media Player 11 for Windows Vista Beta? Maybe that version offers additional options, don't really know since I haven't read anything about it so far.

Reply #34
Vista WMP 11 is the same as XP WMP 11 regarding encoding.  The new WMA Pro option is 1-pass CBR only, as has been posted multiple times.

The other rip options are: WMA, WMA (VBR), WMA Lossless, MP3 & WAV.

Versions before 11 didn't offer WMA Pro and uncompressed (WAV).

Reply #35
Not really. You keep telling us this despite the fact that it has never worked with WMP. Even that screenshot posted above doesn't seem to convince you.

WMP screenshot aren't proving anything about WMAPro features. Be careful to avoid confusion between any file format options and GUI's options.
WMP can be used as a graphical frontend for WMA's encoder family, but it doesn't offer all possible encoding mode. With another GUI like dBPowerAmp, or simply with the commandline encoder, you can access to additional encoding modes, like VBR or 2-pass working even with 16 bits/mono material.

Reply #36
WMP screenshot aren't proving anything about WMAPro features. Be careful to avoid confusion between any file format options and GUI's options.
WMP can be used as a graphical frontend for WMA's encoder family, but it doesn't offer all possible encoding mode. With another GUI like dBPowerAmp, or simply with the commandline encoder, you can access to additional encoding modes, like VBR or 2-pass working even with 16 bits/mono material.

This discussion was specifically about the encoding features of WMP, not about WMA Pro's general features. Your addition matches the contents of what I already wrote on page 1 of this topic:

For quality-based encoding you have to use the Windows  Media Encoder, which supports just 16 bit multichannel and 24 bit in  VBR mode. The only working compromise for variable 16 bit stereo  encoding is bit-rate VBR (ABR) with either 48 kbit/s or 64kbit/s.

Reply #37
This discussion was specifically about the encoding features of WMP, not about WMA Pro's general features.

Then your 'specific' discussion is rather off-topic and in violation with TOS#5. The original question is:
Do any of you know of a program which would allow me to encode/rip files to the WMA 10 pro codec?

There were in this thread some (uncorrect) claim about WMAPro format in general (like benski's one); that's why I asked to anyone (and not necessery to you) for more clarity about what people are saying: WMAPro format or WMP options for this encoder. My bad if you ever feel attacked by my previous post.

Peace

Reply #38
Then your 'specific' discussion is rather off-topic and in violation with TOS#5.

True. Nonetheless, I had good reasons to clarify things after this posting had led to a lot of confusion, resulting in this little "sub-topic" we were discussing about.

But don't let us stretchen this any further. As you said yourself, peace.

Reply #39
There were in this thread some (uncorrect) claim about WMAPro format in general (like benski's one); that's why I asked to anyone (and not necessery to you) for more clarity about what people are saying: WMAPro format or WMP options for this encoder. My bad if you ever feel attacked by my previous post.
Peace

The information I provided is correct.  WMA Professional will not encode to quality-based VBR with 16bit stereo 44.1khz audio.  You can upsample 16-to-24 and use the 24/stereo/44 mode (and the encoder will do that automatically - that's probably what's happening with tools like dbpoweramp), but that's not the same as saying it supports CD Audio.  The fact that a 16bit mode is not explicitly listed makes me question whether the quality-based VBR mode has been tuned for CD audio or not.  The Microsoft documentations suggest using it for audio on movies.

Check out WMProEdt.exe from the Windows Media Encoder if you don't believe me.

This is also the same if you query the supported formats with the Windows Media Format SDK (via IWMCodecInfo::GetCodecFormat).

Reply #40
@benski

I recall that WMAPro VBR was used in VBR (or quality mode) in latest 128 kbps multiformat test, which was based on samples coming from CD. I also used it in the past for direct CD-conversion with foobar2000, using the commandline tool without any resampler. In other words, WMAPro (at least the latest stable version) could be used for ripping CD-Audio without any additional resampler. Situation has maybe changed with the beta encode, I can't say

Reply #41

Would you know by change if using this method, the following formats can be ripped in "one step"?

CD -> WMA10Pro (Stereo)
ECD (DTS) -> WMA10Pro (5.1)

Never used dBpowerAMP, but I'm very interested in finding something that can do this...

Edit: I download and installed dBpowerAMP but after I select a CD the formats I have available are:
-Mp3 (Lame)
-Test Conversion
-Wave
And greyed out, Windows Media Audio V9.1

Edit 2: I found the codec to download. But it only supports Stereo encoding. Do you know if there is any way to add 5.1 encoding?

Reply #42
Something I noticed...

I find it very odd that VBR encoding allows encoding at rates as low as 48kbps and 64kbps, but then our encoding options suddenly jump to bitrates of 128kbps and above.    There is a huge gap between 64 and 128 kbps... And no selectable kbps range in between.  Why on earth is this?

What happened to being able to encode to 80kbps, 96 kbps, 112kbps, etc? 

Also, why is it impossible to specify our own bitrate or quality level (ex: 89kbps or Quality 20%)?
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #43
Ok, I think I tried about eight or nine different encoders, rippers and different stuff.

The best (and almost the ONLY) way to encode using WMA10Pro and any setting (Stereo, 5.1, two-pass VBR, etc), was using foobar2000.

Works great, better than Windows Media Encoder, supports AC3/DTS and different formats, etc.

Take a look to this link about this, and thanks Egor for the instructions:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=47759