Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yet another lossless audio compressor... (Read 97241 times) previous topic - next topic

Yet another lossless audio compressor...

Reply #50
TBeck, could you describe your basic algorithm ideas in short? Will you publish a paper?

Reply #51
TBeck, could you describe your basic algorithm ideas in short? Will you publish a paper?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378512"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There isn't any paper yet. I have been working on this since about 1997, but never even talked about it. Ok, if my friends wanted to invite me for some beer, i told seem, that i couldn't go with them, because i was near to a breakthrough in audio compression technology (This never really happens...).

My decision to go into public was a spontaneous one, in no way prepared. So actually there is no paper.

My improvements are mostly the sum of many single optimizations. One of them may be remarkable, because it allowed me to use reduced precision arithmetic without a significant penality in compression efficiency. It's so simple, that i could explain it in one short sentence. But i don't want to publish details yet.

Sorry... It will take some time until i will (and can) publish any details.

Thomas

Reply #52
Would it be possible to store the program archive (less than 1 MB) at hydrogen audio? My free homepage traffic is very limited, so i would be glad about an alternative.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Rjamorim will be glad to put it on [a href="http://www.rarewares.org]Rarewares[/url] 

Reply #53
if you're looking to make some economic benefit from it, that's much harder.  the only I options see for that are to join a giant like dolby or free it and use any success of it as a reference.

At first I wanted to recommend you to approach some company that is into media hard- and software that will want to add proprietary lossless to its bouquet of formats in the future, while at the same time not „infect” its assets with open-source → SONY.
But seeing it might be viable your work is added as a new method to libflac is a very appealing thought. Putting TAK standalone into the open-source world might only lead to more format fragmentation, with a miniscule adoption share for TAK unless you want to get into direct concurrence with FLAC, Wavpack, APE and so on...and win.

BTW, I'm doing Cognitive Science in OS, they are quite blossoming and heavily software-dependent, so possible devel opportunities?

Reply #54
if you're looking to make some economic benefit from it, that's much harder.  the only I options see for that are to join a giant like dolby or free it and use any success of it as a reference.

BTW, I'm doing Cognitive Science in OS, they are quite blossoming and heavily software-dependent, so possible devel opportunities?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378904"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not quite sure, if i understand it right. If your question is: Would you like to do some work for us, the answer would be: Definitely yes!

Otherwise please clarify your question for me.

Nice to meet someone from osnabrück in this global village!

Thomas

Reply #55

I'm not quite sure, if i understand it right. If your question is: Would you like to do some work for us, the answer would be: Definitely yes!

Thomas
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378908"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, no. I did my B.Sc. at Osnabrück but am shifting to Tübingen currently. The CogSci institute is quite well funded currently by the DAAD and so on. They need a lot of tools for experiments like the Psi (although they train their students to do a lot themselves). So, if Kuhl has everything he needs by now, you could approach them instead (i.e. no offer but an idea)

Reply #56

Thomas
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378908"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, no. I did my B.Sc. at Osnabrück but am shifting to Tübingen currently. The CogSci institute is quite well funded currently by the DAAD and so on. They need a lot of tools for experiments like the Psi (although they train their students to do a lot themselves). So, if Kuhl has everything he needs by now, you could approach them instead (i.e. no offer but an idea)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378912"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now it's clear.

Thanks

Thomas

Reply #57
Would it be possible to store the program archive (less than 1 MB) at hydrogen audio? My free homepage traffic is very limited, so i would be glad about an alternative.

As was pointed out, the upload section should work nicely.

If you need other hosting related things, feel free to PM about what you need, and I'll see what I can do.

Reply #58
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Rjamorim will be glad to put it on [a href="http://www.rarewares.org]Rarewares[/url] 

Thomas, I'm sure if you PM, or mail, Roberto (rjamorim) he'll happily sort out something on Rarewares for you. He's away over the Easter period but will be back shortly thereafter.

Reply #59
Links to 24 bit files i have used

I think, they are hard to find.

Code: [Select]
44 KHz, 24 bit

mytek_8X96_24bit_web.wav
Mytek-stereo96adc_evans.wav
Mytek-stereo96adc_ravel.wav

Source: http://www.mytekdigital.com/compare/comparison1.htm

48 KHz, 24 bit

McDougalsMen24bit_48kHz.wav
sister24bit_48kHz.wav

Source: http://ff123.net/samples.html

As was pointed out, the upload section should work nicely.

If you need other hosting related things, feel free to PM about what you need, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

Thomas, I'm sure if you PM, or mail, Roberto (rjamorim) he'll happily sort out something on Rarewares for you. He's away over the Easter period but will be back shortly thereafter. smile.gif

Thanks to John to.