Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TTA refuses this wav file; what's up with it? (Read 2789 times) previous topic - next topic

TTA refuses this wav file; what's up with it?

Recently I scolded TTA for apparently not being able to handle mono .wav files - but it seems it objects to ffmpeg-generated .wav files, mono or stereo. I wonder what is up with the file I attached?

Output from tta.exe -e TTAdoesntlikethis.wav tta.tta
Code: [Select]
TTA1 lossless audio encoder/decoder, version 2.3

Encoding: "TTAdoesntlikethis.wav" to "tta.tta"
c:\bin\tta-2.3-64bit-sse4\tta.exe: can't read from input file

The .wav was created from a CDDA with ffmpeg.  To get this short file, I gave ffmpeg -i infile.flac -to 0.04 TTAdoesntlikethis.wav, but it doesn't matter if I omit the "-to" part and decode the entire thing to .wav.
However if rather generate the .wav by flac -d, tta is happy.

Tags or not seem not to matter, the attachment is done after removing all tags with fb2k.

Re: TTA refuses this wav file; what's up with it?

Reply #1
By the way, ffmpeg has its own TTA encoder (-c:a tta), so you can transcode directly to tta.

Reply #2
Ah. ffmpeg documentation isn't easy to wrap one's head around.

One can also use CUETools for CDDA, but not for 24-bit, where I found another issue:
24-bit wav generated by flac -d, TTA throws the error "incorrect data size info in wav file"

Edit: Doing it in foobar2000 requires something else than "-e %s %d" ... how? (Being GPL, it could be included in the Free Encoder Pack ... but is there any demand?)

Reply #3
Older ttaenc.exe can encode this file, but it prints a message:
"Encode: skiped unsupported 'LIST' chunk"

Output of sndfile-info for this file:
File : TTAdoesntlikethis.wav
Length : 7134
RIFF : 7126
WAVE
fmt  : 16
  Format        : 0x1 => WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
  Channels      : 2
  Sample Rate   : 44100
  Block Align   : 4
  Bit Width     : 16
  Bytes/sec     : 176400
LIST : 26
  INFO
    ISFT : Lavf58.76.100
data : 7056
End

Reply #4
Doing it in foobar2000 requires something else than "-e %s %d" ... how?
-eb - %d
if you use "tta-2.3-64bit-sse4"

Reply #6
Those do the trick, thanks. 

It does not object to .wav files with metadata added by foobar2000 - it just removes the metadata completely.  So here is TTA's ultra-wise choice for metadata handling:
* Can handle it? Delete!
* Cannot handle it? Refuse to do anything!

... dumber than ffmpeg's ideas of naming a filter:
‘bitexact’
Only write platform-, build- and time-independent data. This ensures that file and data checksums are reproducible and match between platforms. Its primary use is for regression testing.
... I appreciate a mode that strips away problematic chunks, but calling it "bitexact" when it removes bits?!?