Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24 (Read 2611 times) previous topic - next topic

WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24

I downloaded some flac files from Bandcamp. If I convert them to wav then back to flac I get this warning:
"WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24"
Since the md5 sum is the same before and after, is this a warning I should just ignore? Is there something wrong with the way flac decodes to wav when the file is 24 bits per sample?

Re: WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24

Reply #2
When I searched for the warning (on DuckDuckGo, not Google) I thought I read that it'd been removed or fixed. I must be imagining things! Thanks.

Reply #3
I thought I read that it'd been removed or fixed
Indeed reference FLAC decoder was fixed in version 1.3.3 for it not to create such wav files.
https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html
When converting to WAV, use WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE when bits per second is not 8 or 16

Reply #4
Didn't realise it was a more recent change. I'm still on version 1.3.2 on Debian, that must be where I got mixed up. Thanks.

Reply #5
Legacy WavePCM files work fine and are compatible with a lot of existing old software that rejects the WaveFormatExtensible codec id.

Reply #6
AFAIUnderstand, the old spec didn't outright say 24-bit would be compliant.

But I assume you will be using the FLAC files in everyday life, so as long as the .wav are just for temporary use (like transcoding further and thrown away), then no need to worry.