Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the best format for audiobook (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best format for audiobook

I have an old smartphone (nexus 5, andriod 6) that i want to convert my audiobook that i owned to the lowest size possible so i can put it on that particular phone (only 16GB of storage) and still be audible. 

Please excuse if that is a noob question.

Re: What is the best format for audiobook

Reply #1
opus 6-10 kbps. best? i don't know.

Reply #2
I believe this is the top 3 for speech/audiobooks currently:
1. xHE-AAC
2. Opus
3. HE-AAC v2

xHE-AAC is quite new and not many apps can open it. It's also the hardest to decode (=eats more battery). Comparing the other two, on my Android phone in Foobar2000 at least, Opus decodes faster than HE-AAC v2 (on my PC it's the opposite).
Based on this, Opus seems like the best choice, unless you can find a way to play back xHE-AAC and don't mind the higher CPU usage.

There are some even more exotic speech-centric formats out there--like a couple developed by MS and Google and also LC3, part of the new BT spec--but I don't know if there are any encoders available to the public, so I doubt that they can be of any use for this purpose.

Reply #3
what about codec2?  i google the format it saids it can contain one hour of audio for just 1MB.

Reply #4
what about codec2?  i google the format it saids it can contain one hour of audio for just 1MB.
Which players support it? You have to go that way, not finding the perfect codec and then have no playback support.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #6
Do you really want to listen to a robot/synthesizer speaking to you for hours? At 32 kbit/s and 8 hours, you're looking at 110 MB of disk space. That is well within the budget.