Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New FLAC compression improvement (Read 12765 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New FLAC compression improvement

Reply #75
But hi-rez performance is absolutely not consistent
I guess it's because most of the CDDA frequnecy bandwidth in typical audio files is used to encode audible signal with more predictable harmonic and transient structure. On the other hand, hi-res files can have gross amount of modulator noise from AD converters, idle tones, obvious low pass at 20-24kHz, resampling artifacts, and occasionally real musical harmonics and transients in the ultrasonic frequencies. They are quite different things and therefore hard to predict.

Reply #76
and occasionally real musical harmonics and transients

Does my sensitive snout smell the sweet scents of sarcasm ... ?  :))   Indeed I suspect the same reasons.
And even if it weren't, it would still be well justified to tune the encoder more for CDDA than for formats with less market share.

Still it would have been nice to find something that catches several phenomena cheaply. I ran mass-testing on one hirez corpus and then observed the same thing on another - but due to very few files in both - and I still wonder if it is too spurious.
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #77
Does my sensitive snout smell the sweet scents of sarcasm ... ?  :))
Maybe, but speaking of sarcasm and unpredictable factors:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sound-liaison-pcm-dxd-dsd-free-compare-formats-sampler-a-new-2-0-version.23274/post-793538
Those who produce hi-res recording couldn't hear those beeps in the first place?

I've seen lossy video codecs can be tuned to optimize for film grain, Anime and such, but don't know if it is relevant to lossless audio or not.

Reply #78
Anyone feels like testing the flac-irls-2021-09-21.exe posted at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=120158.msg1003256#msg1003256 with parameters as below?  Rather than me writing walls of text about something that could be spurious ...

For CDDA:
* Time (should be similar) and size: -8 against -8 -A "tukey(5e-1);partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2)"  against -8 -A "welch;partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2)"  (I expect no big differences between the latter two.)
* Time (should not be too different) and size: -7 -p against -8 -A "welch;flattop;partial_tukey(3/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(4/0/8e-2)" (or replace the welch by the tukey if you like)
* Time (should not be too different) and size (will differ!): -8 -e against -8 -p against -8 -A "welch;partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2);irlspost(1)" 
Note, it is irlspost, not irlspost-p.

For samplerate at least 88.2:
* -8 against -8 -A "gauss(3e-3);partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2)"
* For each of those two: How much does -e improve size?
* How much larger and faster than -e, is -8 -A "gauss(3e-3);partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2);irlspost(1)" ?

My tests indicate that the gauss(3e-3) combination is impresses nobody on CDDA, makes very little difference on most hirez files - but for a few it could be a percent.  And, then the "-e" improvement was a WTF. But hi-rez performance is absolutely not consistent ... well it is much better than the official release.

I'm too lazy to be putting together the encoding times table, but here's a few compression comparisons:

16/44.1, 16/44.1, 16/44.1, 16/44.1, 16/44.1, 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 16/48, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, 24/192

Based on what we have there, flac-irls-2021-09-21 -8 -p outperformed every other parameter set in eleven cases out of twelve, -8 -e winning in one case. What surprised me was that flac-irls-2021-09-21 -8 -p (and in some cases just -8) also outperformed flaccl v2.1.9 -11 in eight cases out of twelve, flaccl curiously winning in both 24/192 cases and in two 16/44.1 cases out of six. All of outperforming, mind, was achieved by a very slim margin.

In terms of speed, I did a quick test with Amon Tobin's How Do You Live LP, 16/44.1.
For flac-irls-2021-09-21 -8 -p, total encoding time was 0:53.509, 50.33x realtime, while for flaccl -11 it was 0:23.978, 112.33x realtime.
Decoding time for flac-irls-2021-09-21 -8 -p tracks was 0:03.284, 818.845x realtime, and for flaccl -11 it was 0:03.496, 769.270x realtime.

P.S. Whoops, I missed -8 -A "gauss(3e-3);partial_tukey(2/0/999e-3);punchout_tukey(3/0/8e-2)". Oh well.

Reply #79
@rrx
What syntax do you use to view percentage rates in the "Compression" tab of Playlist View?

Reply #80
@rrx
What syntax do you use to view percentage rates in the "Compression" tab of Playlist View?
Good question.
Code: [Select]
$if($or($strcmp($ext(%path%),cue),$stricmp($ext(%path%),ifo),$stricmp($info(cue_embedded),yes)),$puts(percent,$div($div($mul(100000000,%length_samples%,%bitrate%),%samplerate%),$mul($info(channels),%length_samples%,$if($strcmp($info(encoding),lossless),$info(Bitspersample),16))))$left($get(percent),$sub($len($get(percent)),3))','$right($get(percent),3),$puts(percent,$div($mul(800000,%filesize%),$mul($info(channels),%length_samples%,$if($stricmp($info(encoding),lossless),$info(Bitspersample),16))))$left($get(percent),$sub($len($get(percent)),3))','$right($get(percent),3))'%')

Reply #81
Thank you very much!

Reply #82
Besides the testing here has anyone an idea if there ever will be another official flac release? Since the cancelled 1.34 version it became very silent.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #83
Would be bloody annoying if not, when ktf has found the improvements that gave the independent implementations the upper hand over the official for fifteen yeart, and fixed bugs that made files blow up.
High Voltage socket-nose-avatar

Reply #84
Okay, I have something fresh to chew on for those interested: a Windows 64-bit binary is attached. Code is here but needs cleaning up before this could be merged.

I've rewritten the partial_tukey(n) and punchout_tukey(n) code into something new: subblock(n). Partial_tukey(n) and punchout_tukey(n) still exist, this is a (faster) reimplementation recycling as much calculations as is possible. It is rather easy to use:

• using flac -A subblock(2) is roughly similar to using flac -A tukey(7e-2);partial_tukey(2/0/14e-2)
  • using flac -A subblock(3) is roughly similar to using flac -A tukey(5e-2);partial_tukey(2/0/1e-1);partial_tukey(3/0/15e-2);punchout_tukey(3/0/15e-2)
  • using flac -A subblock(4) is roughly similar to using flac -A tukey(4e-2);partial_tukey(2/0/8e-2);partial_tukey(3/0/12e-2);punchout_tukey(3/0/12e-2);partial_tukey(4/0/16e-2);punchout_tukey(4/0/16e-2)

The main benefit is that it is a bit faster and also much cleaner to read. The reason for the weird tukey parameters (4e-2 etc.) is that the sloped parts for the main tukey and the partial tukeys have to be the same, as the code works by subtracting the autocorrelation calculated for the partial tukey to calculate the punchout tukey.

Attached is also a PDF with three lines:
  • the darkblue one with triangles is the current git (without any of the patches mentioned in this thread)
  • the green one with squares is with all patches up until now
  • the lightblue one with 'diamonds' is the binary I'm attaching, in which settings -6, -7, -8 and -9 use the new subblock apodization

From right to left are encoder presets -4, -5, -6, -7 and -8, with the darkgreen extending further left with -9 and the lightblue extending further left with -8 -A subblock(6), -9 and finally -9 -A subblock(6);irlspost-p(3). To make it even more complex. The darkgreen -9 was defined as -A "tukey(5e-1);partial_tukey(2);punchout_tukey(3);irlspost-p(3)" with -e, the lightblue -9 is defined as "subblock(3);irlspost-p(4)" without -e. That last change was a suggestion from @Porcus

As you can see in the graph, this change makes presets -6, -7 and -8 a little faster. -9 is now 3 times as fast (mind that the scale isn't logarithmical) but compression is slightly worse. Perhaps I should increase to irlspost-p(5).

edit: I just realize that subblock is probably a confusing name, so perhaps I'll come up with another.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #85
Still the same 29 CDs. Not sure -9 is convincing enough.

IRLS-subblock beta -8
7.590.501.741 Bytes

IRLS-subblock beta -8 -ep
7.584.176.739 Bytes

IRLS-subblock beta -9
7.588.567.011 Bytes

IRLS-subblock beta -9 -ep
7.584.089.533 Bytes

older results:
IRLS beta -9
7.583.395.627 Bytes

IRLS beta -9 -ep
7.582.193.957 Bytes

CUEtools flake -8
7.591.331.615 Bytes

Reply #86
Missed that one, sorry. Only slightly slower as -9

IRLS-subblock beta -8 -p
7.585.883.902 Bytes