Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Disc number in vorbis tags? (Read 11338 times) previous topic - next topic

Disc number in vorbis tags?

I'm using MP3tag to do this and it works but winamp doesn't display the disc number. I don't know why they don't show up in winamp but if they show up in mp3tag, will they show up in other media players with disc information?

Reply #1
The current de facto standard for writing disc number into Vorbis files is to use the DISCNUMBER tag. (In some programs it's customary to write tag names in uppercase, so bear with me, please.)

Winamp's Vorbis plugin should have a feature where you can adjust the title formatting in your playlist.

Adding %discnumber% somewhere to your "formatting strings" should add the contents of your DISCNUMBER tag to your playlist display.

If you don't want question marks showing up with songs that don't have that tag, then you can add [blah %discnumber% this part will only be shown if the DISCNUMBER tag exists on the file] or something similar.

Reply #2
>The current de facto standard for writing disc number into Vorbis files is to use the DISCNUMBER tag

DISCNUMBER is the most used one, but there are also (also widely used):

DISCC
DISCCOUNT
DISC

The situation is a right mess...

Reply #3
The drawback of »open specs« — If you allow the users to do anything, they will. And users are much more creative than developers … ;-)

In Vorbis Comment Tags, these are (more or less) usual (»n« shall denote the disc #, »x« the total number of discs in a set):
  • DISC=n
  • DISCNUMBER=n
  • DISCNUMBER=n/x
  • DISC #=n (J. River — just why do they always have to complicate things?)
  • DISCC=x
  • DISCTOTAL=x
  • TOTALDISCS=x (dBpoweramp uses this)

I have even seen all of the above spelled with a »K« instead of »C« in the word »DISC«, but we can probably just disregard these …

Reply #4
dBpoweramp uses DISCNUMBER=n and TOTALDISCS=x, because there is a 'standard' of TRACKNUMBER=n and TOTALTRACKS=x

Reply #5
DISC #=n (J. River — just why do they always have to complicate things?)

I haven't seen that before. Hilarious though! I mean, a hash!?

dBpoweramp uses DISCNUMBER=n and TOTALDISCS=x, because there is a 'standard' of TRACKNUMBER=n and TOTALTRACKS=x

I've always agreed with this.