Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to play DTS audio downloaded from the net (Read 2145 times) previous topic - next topic

how to play DTS audio downloaded from the net

I'm trying to play (perfectly legal, community-distributed 5.1) audio I downloaded from the 'net.  I am having success with some of it, and some of it doesn't work properly.  In general, vlc plays about 50% of the 10 albums or so I have downloaded.  The ones it doesn't play are in a format of

*.cue
*.wav

I've tried mounting the thing and playing it with POWER DVD and VLC.  No Luck.  I know it's a good download and there are multiple albums doing this. 

I am thinking that I am doing something wrong here.  Does anyone have any advice?  Can anyone point me to a place where this sort of thing is routinely discussed?  I am interested in finding lots of community-distributed surround (the actual 96khz thing doesn't matter that much to me-- I am interested in 5.1!)  An example of what I'm looking for would be "a project called red" by stabilizer in 5.1 .  That would just be awesome to me!

Is there a format that looks to be king of 5.1 distribution online?  The current methods don't seem to be too effective. 

I know there's a lot to this post... replies to any questions are greatly appreciated.  Lastly, I'm mostly interested in 5.1-- can anyone point me to a forum for 5.1 stuff only?  I want good music to feed my good speakers !

Thanks

Reply #1
This seems really weird to me, but it turns out that all I had to do was rename the .wav's to .dts and they played in foobar (with the dts plugin) and VLC.  I tried that as a last-ditch effort.  I'm amazed!

Reply #2
Formats intended for efficient usage on a personal computer and straight burning to disc differ.

CUE + fake (compressed) WAV is good for burning. So is any representation of Video DVD, for example.

On a computer you better strip the WAV overhead and listen to the DTS. I would also cut it in tracks, especially if the album is not gapless, but that involves using a hex editor and is optional. I have used this wav2dts converter:

http://j7n.sytes.net/temp/DTS-2-WAV-2-DTS.rar

For playback in DirectShow you can use DTSAC3Source + AC3Filter. Another splitter promised to take fake WAV as input but I did not have success with that. Install DirectShow decoders by unpacking them to a suitable folder and running RegSvr32.exe <full_path_with_filename>.

There is also an AC3filter for Winamp.

Here's a DTS decoder for Foobar 0.8. You can use cue files in Foobar. (I don't use Foobar 0.9 due to the whole incompatibility thing with W98 and W2k)

I did not see your second post before writing this information and uploading referenced files.