Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with EAC and LAME! (Read 3221 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with EAC and LAME!

Ive looked every where for a solution but cant find it.

This is my first try with lame.

Im using EAC 095 pb3 and LAME 3.90.3

I set everything up fine. Set the path for LAME.exe, choose my compression (Ive tried them all), and then try to rip a track from a CD.

Everything I rip comes out as a WAV. file. No matter what options I try.

Am I missing something? Im leaving the command line at the dafault values, can this be the problem?

I must being missing something basic here, thanks.

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #1
Right Click a song->Copy->Copy as Compressed

or

Shift-F5 to rip the whole cd in compressed form (Alt-G before this checks for FreeDB disc info).
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #2
Also make sure your compression options are setup correctly.  In EAC, press F11, then set it up as follows to use one of the most popular LAME encoder settings (--alt-preset standard):

And of course, the Program field should point to the location of your lame
executable, wherever that may be.

Note that --alt-preset standard will generally provide transparent sound quality (for most music), but will encode at ~200kbps, and will accordingly make a 4-minute song file about 5.9MB in size.  Use a lower bitrate setting if you need smaller filesizes.  --alt-preset medium will have a nominal bitrate of about 150-170kbps, or you can use an ABR setting such as --alt-preset 128 for even smaller filesizes.

To make sure the sound quality is acceptable, listen to a couple of songs encoded at any of these settings before you do your whole collection.

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #3
 jpg compression artifacts
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #4
It works, thanks for the help!

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #5
Im another complete noob.
I have just installed the above program, right clicked and saved a song, only when i then try playing the converted track in foobar its silent!
Any ideas?

Help with EAC and LAME!

Reply #6
Im another complete noob.
I have just installed the above program, right clicked and saved a song, only when i then try playing the converted track in foobar its silent!
Any ideas?

Hello, welcome to HA.

Are you sure you installed it and configured it correctly?
You might want to check the FAQ, it has a tutorial that might help you.

I also recommend reading the FAQ throughly, it has answers to a lot of newbie questions.

I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com