Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a good media player/streaming client (Read 4989 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a good media player/streaming client

I have spent hours and weeks now looking for a good media player, but couldn't find a good choice so far. Basically, as I have my huge CD collection available as flac files, I want to be able to play them via my amp without putting a CD in or turning my PC on. The requirements are:
  • Playing flac and mp3 files from internal hdd or via usb drive
  • Playing other audio formats is welcome     
  • Playing audio files from WLAN shares
  • Gapless playback
  • Internet radio
  • SPDIF output
  • Stable in usage
  • Low noise (e.g. no fan)
  • A built-in display to browse through the music library would be great but not necessary - TV output would be ok as an alternative
  • Optional video playback abilities

There are many test reports out there with many interesting devices. But everytime I look at user reports (e.g. at Amazon), there are many users reporting the beta-stage-like audio features or bad WLAN/USB support.

So my question ist:
Does anyone know an affordable device matching the above mentioned points?

Reply #1
I guess you need to define affordable.

The Squeezebox Touch does all of that I believe. If you want video playback then you're into video streamers, you don't get audio streamers with a bit of video stuff on the side really.

Reply #2
So my question ist:
Does anyone know an affordable device matching the above mentioned points?

A netbook?

Reply #4

The Squeezebox Touch does all of that I believe. If you want video playback then you're into video streamers, you don't get audio streamers with a bit of video stuff on the side really.

The Squeezebox touch seems to be a perfect candidate for me. But here comes my problem:
Many users are reporting BIG problems with USB handling 

Reply #5
A netbook?

Or if you don't mind DIY you can put together HTPC pretty cheaply and easily these days:

Barebones Minis @ Newegg

I have done this with Zotac ZBox + XBMC and it will do most of what you have asked for (not sure about gapless, still learning).

Seems like PC based solutions are the only reliable ones you can find these days. Actually, I'm thinking about an Acer Aspire R3700 or an AsRock Vision 3D 137B. Seems like I should give up looking for a cheaper solution

Reply #6

The Squeezebox touch seems to be a perfect candidate for me. But here comes my problem:

The squeezebox solution seems perfect for you.  I'm big on gapless playback and it works well on the squeezebox.  I doubt that you will find gapless playback on any media streamers that also stream video.  Gapless playback always seems to be at the very bottom of any feature list, which is frustrating!

You mention that you want to play music from WLAN.  This implies you have a system running to host music files.  If you put all of your music files there, you avoid the possible USB issues.

I have a squeezebox setup with 9 squeezeboxes in total that is constanly in use and I find it to be rock solid.  However I am not using an USB drive on my Touch.  Some people have trouble with USB drives, but many do not.

Reply #7

The squeezebox solution seems perfect for you.  I'm big on gapless playback and it works well on the squeezebox.  I doubt that you will find gapless playback on any media streamers that also stream video.  Gapless playback always seems to be at the very bottom of any feature list, which is frustrating!

You mention that you want to play music from WLAN.  This implies you have a system running to host music files.  If you put all of your music files there, you avoid the possible USB issues.

I have a squeezebox setup with 9 squeezeboxes in total that is constanly in use and I find it to be rock solid.  However I am not using an USB drive on my Touch.  Some people have trouble with USB drives, but many do not.

Thanks for this helpful info! 

Reply #8
Thanks for this helpful info! 

You're welcome - glad to help.  There is a very friendly, informative, and active forum at http://forums.slimdevices.com that you may find useful if you are seriously considering a squeezebox solution.

Sonos is another possible solution.  It works well (I've heard) but is very expensive.