Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Budget 24-bit/192kHz DAC for scientific study (Read 3148 times) previous topic - next topic

Budget 24-bit/192kHz DAC for scientific study

In the coming weeks, I will be undertaking a scientific study which requires the maximum frequency-range output which is (commonly) commercially available.

I'm keenly aware of the marketing nonsense which surrounds a lot of 24-bit/192kHz DACs. I'm looking for one which dispenses with the frills but can still output at the levels needed -- to give you some idea, I personally use a Behringer UCA202, and am thinking perhaps Behringer's UMC202HD would fit the bill.

- Cheap.
- USB3/standard digital signal input(s).
- No issues with ASIO output, via Foobar.
- Ideally with headphone amplifier inbuilt, though this isn't a deal-breaker.

Many thanks to any users who can recommend products which fit the bill, perhaps at a lower price than the Behringer UMC202HD. :)

Re: Budget 24-bit/192kHz DAC for scientific study

Reply #1
I don't have a recommendation for you...

perhaps at a lower price than the Behringer UMC202HD. :)
You probably aren't going to beat that price, at least not by much.     If you need true ASIO, make sure Behringer provides ASIO drivers.    For some products, they give you (or link to) ASIO4ALL.

And, be careful with the "marketing".   A $5 USB soundcard can play 24/192 and you usually never know if the drivers are converting.   (ASIO won't change the sample rate, but I'm not sure about the bit-depth.)  

...which requires the maximum frequency-range output which is (commonly) commercially available.
Make sure to check the frequency-response specs.   Theoretically you can approach 96kHz at a 192kHz sample rate, but an audio interface may be filtered/limited to the audio range.

Reply #2
In the coming weeks, I will be undertaking a scientific study which requires the maximum frequency-range output which is (commonly) commercially available.

I'm keenly aware of the marketing nonsense which surrounds a lot of 24-bit/192kHz DACs. I'm looking for one which dispenses with the frills but can still output at the levels needed -- to give you some idea, I personally use a Behringer UCA202, and am thinking perhaps Behringer's UMC202HD would fit the bill.

- Cheap.

Many thanks to any users who can recommend products which fit the bill, perhaps at a lower price than the Behringer UMC202HD. :)

I think I have both a UMC202HD and a a UCA202.  If memory serves the UCA202 is the higher performing device in general.  The UCA202 mic preamp is always in the signal path and its a bit dodgy. I guess I should check its headphone amp to see if it is really any better then the UCA202.  Same engineering staff, you  know.

If you have a device that has  dodgy headphone amps, sometimes it makes more sense to add one of the inexpensive but good low cost headphone amps like the M-Audio Bass Traveler. Yes, its does have a tiny amount of measurable bass boost, but  not really that much.  If being battery powered gives you a tummy ache, a dedicated USB power supply/cell phone charger will turn it into a power line powered device for not much money.

Reply #3

- Cheap.

I think I have both a UMC202HD and a a UCA202.  If memory serves the UCA202 is the higher performing device in general.  The UCA202 mic preamp is always in the signal path and its a bit dodgy. I guess I should check its headphone amp to see if it is really any better then the UCA202.  Same engineering staff, you  know.

If you have a device that has  dodgy headphone amps, sometimes it makes more sense to add one of the inexpensive but good low cost headphone amps like the M-Audio Bass Traveler. Yes, its does have a tiny amount of measurable bass boost, but  not really that much.  If being battery powered gives you a tummy ache, a dedicated USB power supply/cell phone charger will turn it into a power line powered device for not much money.

Thanks for your response! Would you say that a separate DAC and inexpensive headphone amp would likely achieve better performance for the same price?

Reply #4

- Cheap.

Thanks for your response! Would you say that a separate DAC and inexpensive headphone amp would likely achieve better performance for the same price?

Lacking a market study...

Technically, it shouldn't because of all of the redundant hardware in the 2 box solution.  The pricing of this solution is influenced by the bottom-dollar price for the UCA 202.

BTW I really blew a stenence in the post you replied to:

Corrected:

The UMC202 mic preamp is always in the signal path and its a bit dodgy. I guess I should check its headphone amp to see if it is really any better then the UCA202.  Same engineering staff, you  know.